86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 4runner weird electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4runner weird electrical problem...

Hey everyone, been browsing these forums for quite some time now, and recently ran into a problem. First of all i own a 92 4runner with 90,000 original miles on it (i bought it from the original owner). Im the only one who has 4wheeled it and its completeley stock. 5 speed, v6, 4x4.

Heres my problem. I was driving back home on the freeway when my rear anti lock brake light came on, then my emergency brake light, and then my battery light. I noticed that my battery charge was off the chart to the right. I kept driving a couple miles till i got home and shut if off. The next morning i tried to start it but the battery was dead, so i figured i had a bad alternator, which wasn't charging the battery.

It sat for a couple days and i just jumped it and drove it around till it warmed up and everything is acting fine. The battery is holding charge, there are no lights on the dash, and when i turned it off it started right back up. I reset the ecu, (unplugged the battery and pumped the brakes and waited for 5-10 minutes) and it started up fine again.

My problem is that my radio is frozen. It says that it is on, and it displays SEC. This is a stock radio by the way, just a tape player and am/fm. Could i have some shortage somewhere, or a loose ground, or a blown fuse? Where are some of the main grounds? Im going to check all the fuse's now. Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Sounds like your alt is/was going south, and it died enough to send your stereo into 'Security Theftlock'. Do you have the unlock code?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DavezFever
Hey everyone, been browsing these forums for quite some time now, and recently ran into a problem. First of all i own a 92 4runner with 90,000 original miles on it (i bought it from the original owner). Im the only one who has 4wheeled it and its completeley stock. 5 speed, v6, 4x4.

Heres my problem. I was driving back home on the freeway when my rear anti lock brake light came on, then my emergency brake light, and then my battery light. I noticed that my battery charge was off the chart to the right. I kept driving a couple miles till i got home and shut if off. The next morning i tried to start it but the battery was dead, so i figured i had a bad alternator, which wasn't charging the battery.

It sat for a couple days and i just jumped it and drove it around till it warmed up and everything is acting fine. The battery is holding charge, there are no lights on the dash, and when i turned it off it started right back up. I reset the ecu, (unplugged the battery and pumped the brakes and waited for 5-10 minutes) and it started up fine again.

My problem is that my radio is frozen. It says that it is on, and it displays SEC. This is a stock radio by the way, just a tape player and am/fm. Could i have some shortage somewhere, or a loose ground, or a blown fuse? Where are some of the main grounds? Im going to check all the fuse's now. Thanks guys.
Not sure why the Anti-Lock came on, but with the brake light, I would venture a guess that your brush pack on alternator is nearing end of life. At first it will do that off, then on again with intervals becoming shorter. Easy fix though.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Hey Jebsr5 what is a brush pack? How much does a alternator cost for a 92 4runner? The dealer quoted me an astronomical number of $500+.

Last edited by DavezFever; 04-26-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DavezFever
Hey Jebsr5 what is a brush pack? How much does a alternator cost for a 92 4runner? The dealer quoted me an astronomical number of $500+.
I may be off a little, but seems I paid $15 for Toyota brush pack that holds the brushes and all. It's on the very back of the alternator. Replaced mine without taking the alternator off. Would have been easier with it off though. Check one of the online FSM's for details on removal. I don't have a link to it.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Alternator brushes are definately the first thing to look at. Mine did the charge and brake light show for a good 2 weeks before i started having real electrical problems, but then it all went south fast.

Brushes should cost less than $20 bucks from the stealer. On my truck it took longer to get the alternator out of the truck than it did to replace the brushes.

As far as the stereo goes: not sure, i have aftermarket, so not sure what is going on with that. I would try unplugging the negative battery cable for a while (maybe while you are replacing those brushes) and see if it comes back to life afterwards.