Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92' 3VZE Rough Idle

Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92' 3VZE Rough Idle

So I'm new to YotaTech but constantly come here for info. This place is a gold mine when it comes to anything Toyota so i figured id start my own account.

I have a 92 SR5 Ex. Cab pickup with the dreaded 3VZE and the infamous valve cover gasket leak on the passenger side and its been idling really rough lately. Ill start it up and it will run okay for about 20-30 seconds then it'll have a pretty constant misfire. I run Royal Purple 10w30 through it use NGK plugs and always run 92-93 Octane through it to keep it preforming well. I also tried advancing the timing by ear ( probably should do it with a timing light and jump the terminal) so my use of premium fuel didn't go to waste seemed to help the idle a bit as well as a slight performance increase in throttle response and power.

I did a tune up on it including Cap, Rotor, Plugs and OEM Air filter and it got rid of the rough idle for a while then it came back once every while. Since then I've added a K&N CAI, Removed the clogged cat and put a Flowmaster 40 on the stock exhaust pipe. Its basically constantly ran rough since the CAI upgrade and hasn't really changed. Looking for any thoughts on how to get rid of it or whats causing it. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daylon_k171
So I'm new to YotaTech but constantly come here for info. This place is a gold mine when it comes to anything Toyota so i figured id start my own account.

I have a 92 SR5 Ex. Cab pickup with the dreaded 3VZE and the infamous valve cover gasket leak on the passenger side and its been idling really rough lately. Ill start it up and it will run okay for about 20-30 seconds then it'll have a pretty constant misfire. I run Royal Purple 10w30 through it use NGK plugs and always run 92-93 Octane through it to keep it preforming well. I also tried advancing the timing by ear ( probably should do it with a timing light and jump the terminal) so my use of premium fuel didn't go to waste seemed to help the idle a bit as well as a slight performance increase in throttle response and power.

I did a tune up on it including Cap, Rotor, Plugs and OEM Air filter and it got rid of the rough idle for a while then it came back once every while. Since then I've added a K&N CAI, Removed the clogged cat and put a Flowmaster 40 on the stock exhaust pipe. Its basically constantly ran rough since the CAI upgrade and hasn't really changed. Looking for any thoughts on how to get rid of it or whats causing it. Thanks for the help!
Have you cleaned the MAV above the air filter and the throttle body? It is also possible you have a weak ignition coil, worn distributor, vacuum leak, dirty injector, dirty cold start injector as these could also contribute to a rough idle.