Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 3vze best engine swap???

Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 3vze best engine swap???

I have a 1992 toyota pickup 4x4 with the 3vze and an automatic tranny.

So here's the skinny: the truck has 153k on it and the tranny has had it. i havent had a lot of time to work on it but from what I can tell the motor runs a lil rough and the tranny will move the truck somewhat in 4 low but not at all in reg 2 wheel. i checked the trans fluid and its good i think that it just worn out. the previous owner just drove the truck and did as little maintenance as possible. the only thing the truck has going for it is that the body is in very good condition. hardly any rust and the frame is sound. im trying to figure out what i want to do with it. I got a good deal on the truck and im not trying to put a fortune in it. this is my third vehicle (my other 2 are a ranger and a pstroke) so im not pressed for time. my plans for this truck are to maybe make it a daily driver but def be dependable and have some fun with it. From what i have heard the 3vze motor is a decent motor with an occasional hg problem but is not that great on gas and i know someone who has that motor and he gets 13mpg. i am a fan of the 22re motor but i would like any feedback i can get on any kind of engine and tranny swap. this is def gonna be a project truck for me, i dont know everything but i do know my way around the shop and im not scared to take on a good project. just not tryin to break the bank.

any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 22RE is a great engine, but you're looking at new crossmembers, motor mounts, and tranny.

Opting for a 3.4 is a direct bolt in, but you're going to need a new tranny, since yours is shot, and that's where it might be difficult. I think the 3.4 and auto out of a T100 would be your best bet.

Poke around the 3.4 swap section and see what you think.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Swapping from the V6 3VZE to the 4 cyl 22RE would be a bit of a backstep, even though the 22RE is a great engine. It has less HP and torque than the V6 and is more of a pain to swap in to a V6 chassis than it's worth.
The 3.4L V6, 5VZE, would probably cost as much, possibly even a bit more than swapping in the 22RE but is substantially more rewarding since it offers even more HP and torque than the 3VZE 3.0 V6 it would be replacing and comparable longevity to the 22RE when cared for properly (which arguably the 3VZE can accomplish as well but few care for it properly).
Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 swap without a doubt...best bang for your buck in my opinion.

you get the power of a nice V6 (around 190...i think..maybe......)with the fuel economy of a 22re
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 AM

the 5vze has def been a thought but it just seems like a wiring nightmare. i do like that motor and know that it is dependable it is just hard to find a wrecked truck that i can get a motor and a tranny out of with all the wiring. the only reason that i have considered the 22re is that they are some what cheaper and easier to find and they are easier to work on

thanks for the input anymore is appreciated

and anymore info on either swap would help too

thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

The wiring really isn't that bad. It was the part I dreaded most, but it comes down to two body harnesses under the dash that you have to splice into, and probably one for the ECU for power, ground, and a couple other things.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 PM

Though the swap itself may be fairly painless, if you have emissions regulations to contend with, the swap may become more involved since you are putting in an engine that was never installed in the vehicle and there may be some hoops to jump through in order to gain "legal" compliance.
In most places that allow engine swaps like this, the main considerations are that the engine has all of the emissions equipment installed on it that were there in the original vehicle the engine came from and all diagnostic capabilities for the new engine are retained. Any modifications to emissions equipment like exhaust pipes, converters and O2 sensors that have to be relocated to facilitate installation on the vehicle will likely have to be approved by the referee system and the closer they are to OEM locations, even if they are on opposite sides of the chassis, the better.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM

thanks again for yalls help.

I checked out the 3.4 swap site and it was perty impresive. but it still seems like more work than a 22re. do you know of websites that are that in depth for the 22re swap? if so send them my way. i know that i keep harping on the 22re but i only have $700 in my truck right now and i am going to look at a 92 4x4 22re pickup next week for around $300. the truck has had a cab fire (not electrical) and the owner does not have the time or money to fix it, just wants it gone. so i would only have $1000 in both trucks not including the parts that i would need to get or make. i havent givin up on the 3.4 but as of right now i am leaning a lil more towards the 22.

thanks again
Old 10-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swap out the tranny for a manual. I just did mine and its really good(manual +4.88's)to drive but you cant eat icecream while you drive anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Redwood_Nate (07-23-2020)