Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 22re w/auto lacks power going up hill

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 22re w/auto lacks power going up hill

just got this 92 pickup for my wife it has the 22re and automatic tranny the odometer say's 206,000 I will also add its running 31 km2's now the truck. the truck sat all winter the guy I got it from started it like once a week to keep it running I bought it and drove it 50 miles to get it home. the next day we toke it up are road further and there is a steep hill as we started up the truck just didn't seem to have any power I really had to put the pedal down to get it to take off . i just changed the oil in it which was the only thing that the guy hadn't changed {plugs,wire,cap,coil fuel filter etc. are all new} we took it back up the same hill and it did the samething again { i know oil wouldn't change anything just wanted to give it a run} does anybody know what is causing this ? the tranny fluid is full and looks and smells good. i have also noticed that at idle in park it feels/sounds like it is idling a little fast and once i put it in gear its seems like the truck vibrates a lot . i plan on putting this on the road soon and want it safe for her to drive plus we really want to get on some of the trails and back roads . any help on this would be great, i should also say that i ran just about all the gas that was in it out and just put 4gls. of fresh gas in it. sorry to make this so long but wanted to put all the info i could in it , again thank for any help.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your in Vermont what might be a hill to you very well might be thought of as a mountain to some of these flat landers.

The 22REC with the auto is not a power house .Your only talking a little over a 100 horse power.

Then the bigger then stock tires don`t help

How did it drive coming home?? It might get a little better once some fresh gas is run through.

New Air filter as well or was that over looked Now you say this engine had a major tune up ??

You bought this off a trusted friend or We have all seen and heard I just tuned this up not more then 20,000 miles ago not more then 3 years ago so all is good.

Good luck !!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I would check compression to get an idea how the engine is doing, 200k is getting up there. But agree with above, the 22re with an auto is no powerhouse. As for the vibration, have you checked the motor and tranny mounts?

In my 87 with a 22re, 5speed and 31s (with 4.10s) , a lot of hills were 3rd gear pinned hills. Adding 4.56s helped alot.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 06-25-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your in Vermont what might be a hill to you very well might be thought of as a mountain to some of these flat landers.

The 22REC with the auto is not a power house .Your only talking a little over a 100 horse power.

Then the bigger then stock tires don`t help

How did it drive coming home?? It might get a little better once some fresh gas is run through.

New Air filter as well or was that over looked Now you say this engine had a major tune up ??

You bought this off a trusted friend or We have all seen and heard I just tuned this up not more then 20,000 miles ago not more then 3 years ago so all is good.

Good luck !!
lol on the hills your right ,sorry :} yeah I know there's not tons of power and am sure the tires don't help ,I had years ago a 87 22re auto but with 235/15 tires never had any prob. course I know, smaller tires. the truck ran pretty good I thought on the way home the road was up and down hills ,windy etc. did feel a little under powered but I fig. after driving my hemi ram it would ! it does have a complete tune up I did check it out all seems new even air filter and I know exactly what you mean about "just had a tune up " yeah maybe 4 or 5 years ago and 50,000 miles ago ! been there , Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
I would check compression to get an idea how the engine is doing, 200k is getting up there. But agree with above, the 22re with an auto is no powerhouse. As for the vibration, have you checked the motor and tranny mounts?

In my 87 with a 22re, 5speed and 31s (with 4.10s) , a lot of hills were 3rd gear pinned hills. Adding 4.56s helped alot.
I was a little concerned with the mileage but Toyotas always seem to last in the motor dept. esp. the 22re motors the last one I had had 193,000 and I used it to plow and hunt with it was still running good when I got rid of it and was on the road for at least another 2 yrs. ! but yeah I should check compression they do get tired no matter what motors they are .it does seem to have a lot of pep and small hills don't really seem to bother it. I kind of thought about the motor mounts when I was changing the oil I didn't really look at them but im sure they could use a change being as old as it is. whats the best way to check them ? I suppose if I change the motor mounts I should do the tranny too. Thanks a lot ! all the input I get helps a lot.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 PM

Red face

I think it is what it is . Then the engine is getting tired but a brand new rebuild really would not get you much more.

I hope the wife is just planning to use it to do local trips.I know my 4Runner with my normal load of stuff would stop at the Vermont Line and refuse to move just like a Mule.

Trying to drive this on the interstate will get her blown off the road by the Canadian Log Trucks I was just up to Burlington on the 14

People on the Interstates seem to either have one or the other pedal to the floor
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 AM

It sounds like gearing/tire size is the biggest problem. Toyotas that came from the factory with auto trannies and 31s had 4.88 gears. Yours might have 4.30 gears (just a guess). If you look at the sticker by the drivers door, it will have a gear code, this will tell you what it originally had. For example G144=4.88. That being said, a strong or tired motor will make a big difference also. For now make sure to use 4lo for any off road trips and for everyday driving fill the tank with super (93 not 91). It really does help these little engines and it's only a few dollars more at fill up.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Red face

Either your state has mandated some strange additives or you just get really bad gas up there.Even my 3.4 ran like I had 1200 pounds in it.

When it was empty that could also be part of the problem

Once I got gas down in Rotten Dam burned about 1/4 tank it seemed to be it`s old self.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM

I think it is what it is . Then the engine is getting tired but a brand new rebuild really would not get you much more.

I hope the wife is just planning to use it to do local trips.I know my 4Runner with my normal load of stuff would stop at the Vermont Line and refuse to move just like a Mule.

Trying to drive this on the interstate will get her blown off the road by the Canadian Log Trucks I was just up to Burlington on the 14

People on the Interstates seem to either have one or the other pedal to the floor
I love the interstate thing ! your right and I've lived here my whole life , I prefer the one on the right till I have to put gas in my ram ! and on another foot , I think maybe part of it is the tires being 31's and big lug it might be a lot for it though my son had one think same year with the 22re an 5spd. he ran 31's with out any problems as he reminded me {getting old} but his was a 5spd so thinking maybe that might make a difference ?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by FourwheelinVT
It sounds like gearing/tire size is the biggest problem. Toyotas that came from the factory with auto trannies and 31s had 4.88 gears. Yours might have 4.30 gears (just a guess). If you look at the sticker by the drivers door, it will have a gear code, this will tell you what it originally had. For example G144=4.88. That being said, a strong or tired motor will make a big difference also. For now make sure to use 4lo for any off road trips and for everyday driving fill the tank with super (93 not 91). It really does help these little engines and it's only a few dollars more at fill up.
I kind of wonder about the tires being the size and that they are a big lug heavy tire. my son had a truck think same year {as he reminded my } and he ran 31's but he had a/t not mud tires and his truck was a 5spd 22re . ill have to check the door course I believe its the org. dr I know that the fenders have ben changed .
Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Either your state has mandated some strange additives or you just get really bad gas up there.Even my 3.4 ran like I had 1200 pounds in it.

When it was empty that could also be part of the problem

Once I got gas down in Rotten Dam burned about 1/4 tank it seemed to be it`s old self.
God knows !...with this state . most of us can't figure it out anymore lol.