86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 v6 wont start, very strange issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 v6 wont start, very strange issue

I am currently working on a 91 toyota pickup v6 4wd ext. cab. this truck has set for about 18 mouths due to body rust that wouldn't pass inspection. before it was parked there was a new (40,000 mile) engine put in the truck and friend assures me it had no problems. upon first inspection I realized the fuel pump was not working. changed the fuel pump, cleaned the tank out, and cleared old gas from lines. still not start. next a pulled the rotor, cap, button, wires, and new plugs. still not start without gas in the intake. when it would start it seemed to run very well until the fuel was gone. next I took the injectors off replaced ones that didn't have resistance and cleaned them all over night. at the same time I cleaned the crossover intake, efi in the intake, and the IAV in the throttle body. once i put it all back it still didn't start. tried gas in the intake again and it would start and seemed to run pass the point of the intake gas, but I would have to try to keep it going and it would backfire through the intake. After all of this I decided to start checking the fuel components. first I jumped the fp and b+ terminals to bypass the circuit opening relay. at the same time I tested the CO relay for continuity. the CO relay tested out right, but still no start. I also tested the cold start injector, VAF meter, and every plug for spark. everything in these tests checked out according to the book specs. the thing I noticed was that the #6 spark plug was wet but didn't seem to be burning (although, there was spark at the plug). the other thing that I noticed was number two injector was clicking during the fp b+ jump test only. any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of at a lose.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You jump your fuel pump to pressurize all the lines prior to starting?

What you use to clean the electronic components? A lot of cleaning chemicals will ruin those sensors...
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If it runs after dumping fuel in the intake, then you are getting spark and the timing is good enough, meaning you are having a fuel problem. You should first check the fuel pressure with a gauge. Autozone loans them, and I am sure some other stores will, also. If you have fuel pressure, then the injectors are not firing. This would most likely be that they are not getting a signal from the ECM due to a sensor problem. You can check the signal to each injector with a noid light to see if some of the injectors are firing.