Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 pickup starter problem, please help

Old 05-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 pickup starter problem, please help

ok ive done some searching on this subject and it sounds like there are other with the same problem. but i thought i fixed it and now its back. so heres what happens. when i try to start it i get the dreaded click sound. sometimes i will try it a couple times and then it will go, but most of the time there no hope and it wont start. i can jump it and then it will start.

the first time i thought i fixed the problem i took the starter out and put a repair kit in it, which was a new solenoid(or just the plunger) and connections. everything was good for about a week, but its doing the same thing. if i want to start it i have to jump it. which makes me rule out the starter, bc if it has enough power it will start, but i was talking to one of my friends and he said when the starter gets old it will try to draw more power than the battery has and thats why it seems like the battery is dead.

so heres what i have now. i put a rebuilt alt in about 6 months ago. a year old battery(that tests ok. took it so shucks and tested at home). and the old starter with the rebuilt solenoid and connections. i disconnected my stereo power wires from the battery thinking that might help and it still just clicks , so thats not the problem.what can i do next becuase i want to put my fist through the winsheild everytime it make that click sound. i talked to a guy at work and he suggested replacing the voltage regulator, but i dont even know where that it located, and i havent heard it mentioned from other people that have the same problem. so if you know what i could try to fix it please let me know. its a 3.0 4x4 ext cab if that helps any. thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 01:33 PM

I don't know if you can do anything except put a new starter in. I have a 91 also, and I have had starter issues ever since the stock one went out. Have you tried tapping on the starter when it wont start? I use an 18" piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe and a hammer.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your cables. Sounds like a cable problem to me. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 PM

ok i think i fixed it but i will find out this week if decides not to start again. my truck was broken into last year and the alarm has been screwy ever sense. so i took it out and hooked everything back up like it was before the alarm was installed. i scared myself after i had tore it out becuase it wouldent start. so about an hour of trial and error i figured out what wires went where and everythings good. so fingers crossed that i fixed the problem, bc this has been bugging me for a while.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM

If using jumper cables works fine, I would check your ground wires, the wire running to your starter, and your battery.

Your Battery may be at the point where it may or may not have enough AMPs to start the rig, normal operation once started would be fine, but when you need the cranking amps, it may not have enough anymore. Take it to a local autopart store and have them test it.