Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 Pickup Intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 Pickup Intro

Hi everybody, newbie here.

Just wanted to make a quick introduction and perhaps throw a few questions out there at the same time about the new-to-me Pickup i purchased last week.

Been looking for something reliable and more offroad-oriented for a while now (First truck for me), and last week a nice little '91 popped up and i picked it up the next day.

Lots of miles on her, paint is so so and the interior is okay, but she seemed mechanically not too bad, plus i got a great price.

'91 Pickup Intro-k3djo.jpg

Picture taken before picking it up.

I got her home via the freeway and i could tell that she's been sitting for a while. At first, struggling to maintain 60 mph, but then gradually got better and we could do 75 all the way home .

Did a complete tuneup and picked up a few parts at the dealer and such, picked up my plate and started more work on it.

Brakes were pretty bad, especially after i did an emergency stop and my pedal went to the floor. Checked the lines and noticed a leak right at the fuel tank, so off i went to pick up some brake lines and connectors. Pulled off the bed for better access as well.

'91 Pickup Intro-saik3.jpg

Once the line was fixed and the system bled (and the fuel pump wire fixed that i accidentally pulled off...), i was rather surprised by the sheer braking for of this thing .

Well, aside from that, not much else was done. Just getting her ready for the road, really.

I'll have to pick up some new tires relatively soon, not sure how old these are. Clutch has maybe 1/4 travel left, so it may be going in the not too distant future. Left front i'll have to replace a wheel stud (snapped off, apparently) and the tranny is sounding not so healthy in neutral. Maybe input shaft bearing? We'll see.

Tomorrow will be a cleaning day. Ripping out all the horrible purple bubble tint and doing a nice clean and buff job to see if the paint is somewhat salvageable. TB cleaning and MAF cleaning to hopefully get rid of the lumpy idle, if not, the big guns will be brought out .

Thanks to this forum, a lot of my questions that i've been having have been answered already, so i just wanted to say it in person (as personal as a computer is ), thank you guys for all the great info!

Cheers,

Jakob B
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE-looks a lot like my '91 except with better tires. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Nice truck and Welcome to Yotatech
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome

Today i continued my quest. Official soundtrack of today was some 80s goodness.

First thing was to clean out the air flow sensor and the throttle body to see if the idle gets any better. The previous owner has a cone-filter installed, rather ghetto, i might add, so i was a bit worried. Airflow sensor cleaned out well, but the throttle butterfly was a different story. Looking back in the plenum, i instantly decided that i'll have to tear apart the engine within the next 6 months or so . She runs well enough, but the sheer amount of sludge and oil in the plenum was unsettling. Considering that the car has been sitting for over a year, not super surprising, however .

After finishing that stuff up, and reconnecting the airflow wires which i forgot to connect , i started on the body. Pulled out the old buffer and started polishing everything. Mind you, i didn't have much hope since the hood and roof have some really bad oxidation, but regardless, i'd rather try to salvage what i have left and make it last for a while.

3 grades of buffing later, the hood started to get a bit of a shine back. The water spots, sadly, are still there, but one can't have everything . Comparison pic. Right side of the hood is with the wax polished off.

'91 Pickup Intro-e2raf.jpg

Like i said, hood and roof were the worst part. The rest of the body has some fairly heavy dings and dents and such, but the clear-coat is in decent enough shape to get a nice shine.

'91 Pickup Intro-bahdl.jpg

'91 Pickup Intro-x9ano.jpg

Final thing of the day was to get rid of the hideous purply bubble tint that was in there. After 3 hours of swearing, cutting and burning i got that stupid stuff off and nice clean windows. I was surprised at the sheer light that got into the cabin!

And that was it for the day!

Thanks again, and have fun!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Looks great! Yeah old tint is a pain to take off. It feels like that sticky residue never wants to come off
Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 PM

one thing that works on the sticky residue is rubbing alcohol. If there is any residue left just rub some rubbing alcohol on it and it will come off real quick, it does the same with stickers and the fake decorations on the back of fish tanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
WELCOME~

If you still have the bed off, double-check all the fuel lines running to/from the fuel pump area; they like to rust out there. Clean out any goo that's collected there.

FYI: almost ALL fuel injected engines get a lot of crap in the intake/plenum as the PCV brings oil residue in but you have no fuel flowing that far upstream to clean it out. Requires periodic cleaning. The EGR inlet is another spot where they can gunk up substantially. At 185,000 miles, mine was closed up to within a pinkie finger size air gap.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 11-14-2011 at 03:47 AM.