Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 pickup electrical problems

Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
bw1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 pickup electrical problems

Hi I have a 91 toyota pickup 22re, 5spd 4x4 that has some electrical issues. The charge and brake light stay on 100% of the time. The alternator has been replaced and seems to be operating fine. At the time it was in the shop to get the alt replaced the mechanic noticed that when the efi fuse is removed the truck keeps running. He said something about plugging in his avr? and seeing nothing on one side and something not right on the other side (reading where the efi fuse was pulled out). He said I have an 'open lead' or 'open draw' or something. I have driven the truck for say 2000km max since then. Now when I pull the efi fuse out the truck stalls. Nothing was changed during that time except I just wired the o2 sensor back up.

Also for some reason the high beam bulbs burn out after trying to use them a few times. So I have low-beam only. I think this is a separate issue.

Can anyone suggest how to go about correcting either of these problems? I'm pretty decent with a multimeter but don't really follow wiring diagrams too well. Any links that might help?

Thanks

want to get this fixed so I can get to testing the new hho generator I just installed
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
bw1

Ok, I'm 99% sure that my alt is good. The shop last replaced it in an effort to get the charge/brake light to go off. I have a fairly new optima red top, the terminals are clean. I know the lights indicate a fault in the charging system. As far as I can tell the charging system operates correctly. Been looking at the wiring diagrams more, seems to make sense the more time I spend with it. Anyone?

bw1
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM

make sure the wires on the altenator are tight. As long as you have the plug that goes in to the altenator it should be fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
bw1

Slight correction, in the first post when I said efi fuse I meant to say the 7.5A 'charge' fuse located in the box beside the battery.

If I pull the 7.5 charge fuse and start the truck it starts up without the charge/break lights on (break light stays on until I take parking brake off). Actually in this scenario when I start after pulling out the charge fuse when I release the parking brake the drl activates and the headlight/sidemarker light/taillight all come on all at once. With the charge fuse out and and the vehicle started I read -0.02V on one side and +13.56V on the side closest to the battery.

With the charge fuse in the truck, both charge/brake lights stay on %100 of the time and DRL doesn't work. At first, some time ago the charge/brake lights would flicker on, after having my alt die some time later I got the truck back and the lights have been on %100 since. Thinking I got a bad alt installed I brought it back, had the alt changed again and the problem is still there. They said the alt is outputting correctly.

This may or not be a separate issue but:
As far as my high beams burning out, what could cause that? I also have a brand new set of PIAA lights that I'm not using cause I had the same problem. After turning them on a couple times, the bulbs burned out. Happened twice so I took them off and haven't been able to use them since. There must be some surge or something happening to cause this?

I'm wildly guessing but could I have some exposed wire somewhere or a bad ground causing these described problems?

Thanks