86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Clutch issues

Been a while but working lots. So my 91 yota pickup blew the clutch disk really thought it was the tranny but so far no. Pulled it replaced the disk! Also the bearing (Thurst I think the one the clutch fork attatches to) cleaned it all up and put it in. checked slave and master cylinder all working like it should. Fire it up and have a look and the out put shaft it' sturning good sign I think ( truck is not in gear yet) put in gear spinning faster looks good. Shut it down and put rear drive shaft on fire it up put it in gear and still nothing WHAT! I don't have all the wires and stuff hooked to the trans yet just the drive shaft not really sure what to make of this!!! Any thoughts or advice?? Thinking of just burning it!! HAHA
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it a 4x4? is the transfrer case in neutral? did u also replace the pressure plate?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Yes it is a 4x4 and no it is not in neutral I had the same thoughts so checked to make sure it would shift and it does and I can hear it. i put it in 4 low 4 high and 2. No I had a really good look at the pressure plate and it looked fine
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM

hum... i would say that the clutch is not engadging all the way. i would have someone put it in gear with tires off the ground and have them push in and out the clutch to see if its working like it should, im thinking that the clutch disk might be the wrong one or the clutch fork is not all the way in position that it is not disengaging the pressure plate.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do you have the front hubs locked in.

Does the driveshaft turn??

Break a axle? Take out the rear??

Are you sure it was the clutch??

It is possible you got the wrong release bearing in the correct box
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You said you replace the throwout bearing but did you replace the pilot bearing? If it's frozen it is catching drive input shaft of tranny making the input shaft turn whether or not the clutch is engaged. If this is it you'll cause excessive wear to the input shaft. I had a brand new pilot bearing freeze up on me once, talk about being upset.

Please punctuate. Your writing is terrible to decipher.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Could be your pedal inst pushing the master enough. There is an adjustment on the back of the pedal, might be worth playing with.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Sorry about the writing was in a hurry trying to get it all out. Front hubs are not locked in.When I had the drive shaft off the output housing would turn ( out the back of the tranny). How would I check the rear end? I am sure it was the clutch because when I pulled the tranny back the disk was trashed.As for the release bearing I did think of that so I measured the OD and ID of the new one and they are the same,the old one was not broke but I was that far in thought I would replace it.

The pilot bearing was good I checked it and spun nice didn't feel rough at all.

The only other thing I was not sure of was my clutch disk didn't come with an alignment tool for the tranny input shaft. I did use a few straight edges and had it lined up. The tranny housing is flush and bolted up like it should! So i am guessing that all is good in there!!?

I can see the clutch fork threw the opening for the gear shifter so I can see that the fork is moving back and forth like it should! Really not sure.

Last edited by oriana'smygirl; 02-04-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Red face

If possible if the truck is still on jack stands have a friend watch to see if the rear driveshaft is turning.

Go from there.

Do you have the transfer case shifter in neutral or the shifter not installed correct.

How did this come about?? Let us figure that out to look at the proper place.

Slow over time clutch starting to slip till it got to the point it just would not move and they smell of fried clutch never goes away.

If the clutch was that bad your flywheel had to be trashed as well what did it look like.

Or bang just dead and would not move.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM

So played with the clutch pedal a bit and I got it to move a hair not sure why just a bit. Tried all 4 high and low and 2 high, seem to have the most luck in 4 low not sure why??

So ya I was out in the bush having fun and bang just died and I could smell the clutch burning. When I pulled the tranny I found chunks of clutch disk debris.

I jacked it up and turned the rear wheels by hand and the drive shaft rotated as well so I am guessing the rear end is all good.

I am guessing the transfer case shifter is in the right spot any way I could know for sure?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 AM

Red face

ok at this point I can only think you got the wrong clutch disc

From what you said you did not get the clutch kit only the disc and the clutch release bearing ( throw out bearing) correct??

What did the clutch plate look like any broken springs??

When it moves just what does it do??

If the clutch was not engaging it would grind and you would be unable to get it in gear

If it was not disengaging the clutch would slip and you would smell it burning.

Your Hydraulic system is the same. At any time had you adjusted the rod coming out of the Clutch master cylinder

You did install the clutch disc facing the correct way not trying to be smart

most have a sticker that says towards flywheel or engine.

That is about all I can think of
Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Yes I bought the clutch disk and the throw bearing When I say the kit I ment there was no alignment tool with the disk. I measured and compared the disk and it was the same as the old one. Clutch plate looked good a bit of wear but no more than normal I am guessing for 250 000 km.
I think it is engaging and disengaging because I can put it into gear and it stays and no grinding.
The only time I adjusted anything to do with the Hydraulic system is yesterday after I tried everything else. I marked everything so I can put it back the way it was. But after I adjusted the rod to the pedel that is when I got a bit of movement.
Yes it is facing the right way I triple checked it
The only other thing I can think of is that I cleaned up the slave cylinder while I was waiting for parts and it looked like it had a few burrs on the piston part. Not sure if it would be binding and not making full contact? When I watch the fork and everything moves freely so not sure if that is an issue or not!!?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 PM

ok so when u have tires off ground it turns them? but when u drop to the ground u get nothing? did u forget to tighten down the pressure plate? when u push in the clutch does it feel like it is going into gear? when i push in the clutch pedal i get about 1inch of movement. u might have a bad disk, i know u just changed it out but something could of failed very easily.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Red face

Here is where I am lost.

OP says when the clutch went the lining was all over the place but the clutch plate and flywheel were just fine.

I can`t think of anything else.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Yes everything is tight. Thanks for the help guys! just not sure what to do or try!! Might have to take it to a shop and have someone smarter than me look at it. Thanks again
Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM

What about the "T" case could there be an issue in there do you think? Would it be worth pulling that off and having a look at that?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Was the clutch disk installed facing the right way?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM

did u have the t case shifter off when u did the job? if so u might of installed it back wrong and when u dont have much resistance it will move the flange. it might look like its in gear but might be right between 2 gears, i would pull the shifter and look at it again, i dont think it could be anything inside the transfer case. but u could drain some oil and see if u have any metal fragments come out.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Well fingers crossed went and picked up a new slave cylinder put it on filled it up and finally got a chance to pull the old girl out of the garage and then put it back in. Not 100% sure if it is all good but that is the farthest I have been able to move it. Just need to put the rest of the stuff on it then take it for a test drive!!! Thanks for all the help
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM

good to hear u got it to move....

Quick Reply: 91 Clutch issues