Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 22re wont idle when warm

Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 22re wont idle when warm

A friend of mine has a 91 toyota truck, 22re w56, 4x4 blah blah blah. Today on his way to work, he was getting off the interstate and pushed the clutch in and the trucks died. Got to the end of the ramp started the truck again. It fires up then dies. Try's again, same thing. The next time he gives it just a little gas. This time it runs, but only when gas is given. Once he lets off it dies. I go up to his work (6 miles from my house) and start to look over it. I see nothing that stands out or looks off. I crank the truck up (by now its cold and not reading anything on the temp gauge) and it runs fine. As it warms the RPMs drop like normal till its at temp. Then the truck starts miss a little and idle down. It does so till it dies. I drive it down the road and it does the same thing it did to him. Drive fine as long as gas is given, but dies when in neutral w/o gas. I turn the idle up 1/3 of a turn. It runs fine at idle and drives the same on the road.

I dont feel like this is a permanent fix, does anyone have any idea what is causing this? My guess is the TPS, but have not tested it. I didnt smell anything funny coming from the tail pipe, and the 1 and 2 spark plugs look fine (didnt pull the other two).

Any help or ideas would be great!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 AM

I'd test the TPS and the AFM, both are easy tests and should tell you whether they are operating fine. My issue was the fuel pump not running right. But I would explore these other options as this issues doesn't sound the same as mine. Mine would not idle right regardless of temperature.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Is the idle a loping idle like it has a high-lift cam?

If so, unplug the vacuum line to the EGR & see if that solves it.

Otherwise, my first guess would be a crack/leak in your intake hose somewhere.

Have you checked for engine codes yet?

Last edited by TNRabbit; 11-04-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by angrydogtattoo
I'd test the TPS and the AFM, both are easy tests and should tell you whether they are operating fine. My issue was the fuel pump not running right. But I would explore these other options as this issues doesn't sound the same as mine. Mine would not idle right regardless of temperature.
Ill try and get up with him this weekend and test them.

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Is the idle a loping idle like it has a high-lift cam?

If so, unplug the vacuum line to the EGR & see if that solves it.

Otherwise, my first guess would be a crack/leak in your intake hose somewhere.

Have you checked for engine codes yet?
I would say no. Its almost like its dropping a cylinder here and there. It is idling too low. once you give it a little gas it clears up. There are no codes, and the light does work.

I will try and unplug the EGR and see if it clears up. It may be sticking open a little? I did notice when I drove it the other day (before the problem showed up) that at 3500 rpm it seemed to gain a suddon boost of power.

Is there an Idle Air Control valve on this truck? I pulled the intake tube off, any yea there was some black stuff in there, but nothing thick. the one on my 4runner was WAY worse and ran great.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM

ok, I was able to run a few test on it this weekend.

Unplugged the vacuum line from the EGR. That had no effect on the problem.

I tested the mass air sensor and everything looked good compared to the diagram in the Haynes manual. I also tested the TPS. Everything looked good except for one reading that should have been .2-.8 K ohms. The reading was about 8 ohms. (I think im using the right figures) I had another TPS sensor off a 22re I bought a wile back, and both TPS's read the same. However the one on my 87 4runner was .7 k ohms like the spec called for.

I also check the intake tube for crack, but didnt see anything that looked like a problem. In fact, the intake tube looked great.

I adjusted the idle screw 1/2 turn and go idling where it sounded right. If it was mine, I would call it good like this, but I dont want to put this kid in a position to be on the side of the road...

Any guidance would be awesome!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM

anything?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM

is vibration making the idle screw turn in like the o ring on the screw is worn?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4wd4fun
is vibration making the idle screw turn in like the o ring on the screw is worn?

you know, I thought about that the other day too. I need to see if I can find the spec on how many turns the idle screw should have, and see where it is currently.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM

In the spirit of checking the simple things first, I would check that the coolant is topped off. I know that may sound stupid, but I had a similar issue where the 22re would start perfectly and run fine but would start to surge only after it warmed up. This was caused by the aux air valve in the throttle body not closing once it had warm coolant running through it. It's an expensive part that doesn't fail often, but if it's not getting any coolant into the thermostat-style valve, it could cause a problem like this. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 AM

Hmmmmm..... I did notice that coolant was a tad low. It was about half way between the core and the top of the tank. Ill top it off and see what happens. I dont mind checking the small stuff at all! Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates? My 95 just started having the IDENTICAL symptoms as the OP. Haven't had a look yet but will check the above mentioned things.

About 3 months ago I sent the injectors off for cleaning. That involved a LOT of hoses and plugs so I'm going to check those first. Don't think that it would have run great for that long if I messed something up though. But maybe.

I'll add too, that if at a stop light and I turn on the AC, that idles the engine up enough to keep the truck running. But it also idles down once in a while too, like normal, and it sputters out.

Another observation: When it's at it's lowest idle point right before dying, I can hear some sort of relay type clicking coming from my dash area---sounds like somewhere behind the climate controls. I'm sure it's normal and I just don't hear it during normal use since it only makes a single click on start up, but when it's sputtering, the relay cycles a bunch of times. Probably not good for it.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM

No real update. I had him top off the coolant level, and that helped SOME, but he is still having the issue. He hasnt really said anything else about so I Have not messed with it. I have been running ragged with my own stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Right in the middle of it now. Trying to eliminate the TPS as a problem. Couldn't get the thing within spec so I got a new one. Same problem trying to get it in spec too!!

I posted the values here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...adings-247448/