Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 22re Toyota Pickup Rough Start/Idle, Hiccups/Sporadic....GREMLINS!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 22re Toyota Pickup Rough Start/Idle, Hiccups/Sporadic....GREMLINS!!

I'm having issues with my truck.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...24/index3.html
This was the closest thread I found that explained my truck to a T. But the thread stopped and the solution was never revealed.

I bought the truck back in April. Right now it has around 244k on the engine. It ran fine for awhile then the famous Idol Surge appeared. That ended up being a clogged IAC Valce. It was all full of sludge. I blew it out with the compressor and soaked it in carb cleaner. All fixed!!. But now a random sputter/misfire at idol has appeared. It's only at idol that I notice it. I also cleaned out Throttle Body and Intake with carb cleaner, replaced Plugs. Wires, Cap/Rotor, Cap 0-Ring, & Fuel Filter. Any idea's what it could be?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Check the timing. Then go from there ,maybe afm or tps
Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM

The timing has already been done. How do I check the AFM and TPS?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is suffering from a rough idle too but I think I can at least point my finger at it now. When I got the truck it had a new cap, new rotor, new plugs, new plug wires and the timing was correct, but yet it has a bit of a rough idle with sporadic misfire. I ended up replacing the TPS and it seems to have made it run more consistent at different temperatures. The slightly rough idle and sporadic misfire remained.

I tried looking for vacuum leaks with an unlit propane torch but I couldn't find anything. I finally found a couple the old way, by spraying carb cleaner at specific areas and listening for rpm changes. The underside of the throttle body and where the intake bolts to the head (#4 cyl) is leaking.

I'd suggest thoroughly checking for vacuum leaks or having someone fog test it.

Professional way

The cheap way- You're noing to need to seal off the throttle body though, baloon, rubber glove etc

Last edited by Odin; 02-17-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

Like Odin said check for vacuum leaks. The tps can be adjusted with a multi meter there are the ajusted with a multi meter. There are the ads on here on how to check and adjust. Also maybe try your idle screw turning it in or out changes your rpm at idle.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM

I finally had a chance to troubleshoot my truck last night and this morning.

I think I figured it out. But I'm waiting a few more days to see if anything pops up. The TPS had to be adjusted. I forgot that I pulled off the TPS to clean it when I found the clog in the IAC Valve. I just re-aligned the TPS to the yellow dot. I'm guessing it was from factory calibration. I now realize that I needed to use a meter because it's that sensitive. I also tested the AFM but after reading 4Crawlers page again I want to go back and double check one more time.
Does anyone know the torque specs for the throttle body bolts? I went best guess from what I could come across on the net and picked the lowest number at 13 ft-lbs. The 3rd bolt snapped on me. I had to remove the throttle body to ge access to the screws to adjust the specs. I now have Allen type so I can adjust the Throttle Body later if needed.

I've played with the idle screw a few times. I have to set it based on sound. My truck doesn't have a tachometer on the dash.

List of things to check tomorrow
AFM
Clean out EGR and more of the intake manifold with carb cleaner
Check and see if timing is still at 5 degrees
Check for vac leaks. (I saw a neat video of someone modifying a Halloween type fog machine to check for leaks. I sure someone I know has one sitting around I can borrow. Or just spray carb cleaner and listen)
Check stereo ground. Speakers buzz when I turn the stereo off.

Side Note:Looking For Parts
Clip that locks rear sliding window. It broke today
Flexible tube that attaches to throttle body. Mine is split and held together with Gorilla Tape.
1 Throttle Body bolt. Maybe 3 if I torqued all of them to much

Last edited by Fredx; 02-19-2015 at 04:26 PM.