Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89' Pickup Leaf Spring Clanging

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89' Pickup Leaf Spring Clanging

Hey guys, I wasn't sure whether to post this in Newbie or (I did search to no avail) not but here goes.

I just bought an 89' Pickup V6 4x4 a few weeks ago and am trying to get all (probably just a few) of the bugs worked out. Well after driving on some rough roads this weekend I noticed a clanging coming from the rear end that wasn't there before and it sounded a lot like it was coming from the leaf springs from both sides. I could also hear the sound while driving around town changing gears and stopping. When I crawled under I noticed that there was a short spring connected to a bracket and round piece on the front end of the springs that looks to have slid forward and was creating space to which I figure the noise was coming from. I slid it back some and took the pic. This has happened on both sides. From the pic below you can see where the piece that I'm talking about had slid around and knocked the rust of the springs. I searched around and couldn't first off, figure out what the name of that part is or secondly, what to do about it.

Do i just hit the booger back toward the rear and is there a way to tighten it down so it doesn't end up jangling around again? Or is it supposed to slide?
89' Pickup Leaf Spring Clanging-jiorrrv.png

Any info is much appreciated.

p.s. Sorry about the focus.

Last edited by Chilton; 08-11-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not 100% sure either that leaf is broke or the center bolt that holds the leaf pack is broke .

If the leaf is broke if your friendly with a spring shop you can have both rebuilt or get new ones.

If it is the bolt take things apart and get a new one again If I remember those are special bolts and again can be had from a spring shop.

Then sometimes they just don`t want to mess with little pick up springs.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Not 100% sure either that leaf is broke or the center bolt that holds the leaf pack is broke .

If the leaf is broke if your friendly with a spring shop you can have both rebuilt or get new ones.

If it is the bolt take things apart and get a new one again If I remember those are special bolts and again can be had from a spring shop.

Then sometimes they just don`t want to mess with little pick up springs.
The piece that is sliding around looks to be made that short. Kind of like it's supposed to be slid in for pressure. I don't see a hole that a bolt may have may have came out of. The round pice on top isn't touching much and it seems like that's what should be providing pressure.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a broke spring and you're riding on the overloads. The spring was broke and the previous owner hammered it in backwards- the springs are thick towards the axle (well at least the captive ones bolted directly to the frame and shackle), thinning out at the ends and you can obviously see that broke piece is thin-side-in.

If you look close, you can actually see the upper two springs are bent- they're almost horizontal back towards the axle, but bend up then down just before they leave the picture.

Also worrying is the gap between the upper spring and the next lower one, suggesting that possibly the axle / u-bolts are loose: NOT A GOOD THING!

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Looks like a broke spring and you're riding on the overloads. The spring was broke and the previous owner hammered it in backwards- the springs are thick towards the axle (well at least the captive ones bolted directly to the frame and shackle), thinning out at the ends and you can obviously see that broke piece is thin-side-in.

If you look close, you can actually see the upper two springs are bent- they're almost horizontal back towards the axle, but bend up then down just before they leave the picture.

Also worrying is the gap between the upper spring and the next lower one, suggesting that possibly the axle / u-bolts are loose: NOT A GOOD THING!
Yeah upon closer inspection it looks like the rest of the leaves are jacked. Anyone know where a brother can pick up a replacement set that won't break the bank?

Last edited by Chilton; 08-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've no suggestions regarding new leafs for a V6 at stock height.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I've no suggestions regarding new leafs for a V6 at stock height.
As I look around you're right, a lifted option looks to be more cost effective. I'll probably have to go that route. Do you know a good place to pick them up?