Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4runner windshield HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4runner windshield HELP

Hey guys need some help. I need to remove my windshield to take care of some cancer then I need to replace the windshield. Where I need help is how do I remove the metal stripping around the window? Do I need to buy new ones? If so where at? Thanks much guys
Old 04-29-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need to replace the metal trim if you remove it carefully. The bottom piece unscrews from the body. You need to remove the cowl vent to get at the screws.

The remaining pieces snap onto plastic clips. They are tricky to get off without damaging anything. You need to make or buy a trim strip removing tool. The trick is to unhook the clips from the lip of the trim piece on it's underside. It's hooked on the outside edge and there are lots of clips. It's hard to explain without pictures.

If you're desperate, you can sometimes slide the pieces out from under the clips. This will slightly bend the trim pieces, but they are easy to straighten. Be warned, a new set of trim pieces will cost over $300 at the dealer. Don't worry about busting the clips. You can get a new complete set for under $20.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
You don't need to replace the metal trim if you remove it carefully. The bottom piece unscrews from the body. You need to remove the cowl vent to get at the screws.

The remaining pieces snap onto plastic clips. They are tricky to get off without damaging anything. You need to make or buy a trim strip removing tool. The trick is to unhook the clips from the lip of the trim piece on it's underside. It's hooked on the outside edge and there are lots of clips. It's hard to explain without pictures.

If you're desperate, you can sometimes slide the pieces out from under the clips. This will slightly bend the trim pieces, but they are easy to straighten. Be warned, a new set of trim pieces will cost over $300 at the dealer. Don't worry about busting the clips. You can get a new complete set for under $20.
thats what I needed thanks, I couldn't figure out how the hell you get the bottom off LOL. Yeah I called the stealer they want $340 F taht. Ill remove them and give them a qucik 1 2 with some paint. Then its killing cancer. Thanks a mill
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 AM

Question

BlangKang,

Did you manage to get the trim off OK? I have to do the same thing and don't have the trim removal tool mentioned above. What does this tool look like, and how did you find or make one?

Thanks, CR