Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a pic from their site.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks sweet
Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Just reviewed some old posts...
so by going with the divorced transfer case I assume you are keeping the benz-o-matic? or was the divorce required by the engine swap?
and you are still debating the slush/manny tranny question?
the plate looks like a tough as nails part though.
can't wait to hear more...
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Just reviewed some old posts...
so by going with the divorced transfer case I assume you are keeping the benz-o-matic? or was the divorce required by the engine swap?
and you are still debating the slush/manny tranny question?
the plate looks like a tough as nails part though.
can't wait to hear more...
I swear, at some point, I'll make my own adapter to use the Toyota 5-speed, if I can't get the divorce adapter. I'd probably get better MPG with the manual, but I thought the Benz-auto would be easier.

Maybe I'll get my adapter soon.

The redesigned interior is coming along well now. If I don't get the adapter by the time I'm done the rest of the truck, I may try to make my own. We'll see.

Roy
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

What would be required to use the manny tranny is it just a flat plate to adapt the boltholes or is a more three demensional thing required?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:25 PM

It is more of a plate than 3D. The shafts engaging each other is a different matter though. I may need a custom gear and bushings for that. If I tackle the adapter, I need to get a trans. I traded the old auto-trans for a gear-drive T-case.

Roy
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Man,I thought you gave up.. It is like you were telling this awsome story and then you did a month long dramatic pause. Keep us posted. I'm envious although I love my baby. Keep up the good work looks great so far.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need pics of the new interior!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Here are the drawings for the new interior. Actual photos don't show much. It's just a jungle of 1/2" square tubing.
Attached Thumbnails '89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...-above_final.jpg  
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

another
Attached Thumbnails '89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...-driver_doors.jpg  
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM

I need to re-size the other drawings. The files are over the limit.

Roy
Old 03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Looks pretty sweet RD
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 AM

Any updates?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Quite a few updates coming soon.

Roy
Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 AM

Yaaaay!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 PM

You could get away with a smaller inverter if you make sure you never run the fridge and the microwave at the same time. Smaller inverter=less wasted power as heat and it would also mean that you aren't putting as much draw on the battery at any one time (less V drop through cables).

If you set up a 3way (double pole, double throw) switch on the power lines to the fridge/inverter, you could make it so that up=fridge, down=micro and middle=off or something.
that would also be good in that most microwaves try to run a little clock or something similar and there is no good reason to suffer that extra load unless you are cooking.

still, I would look at a propane fridge. We ran one for months and months off of a small bottle (10lb? I think- about half the bbq size). In the end, the propane fridge + propane is a lighter than carrying a genny, and you can cook off of the stove as well (and /or you can use the propane for a lantern, which is nice) You can get propane just about anywhere in North America, and it is widely available in larger towns/cities in Central/South America. I suspect that it is easy to find in other places too.

We did try to use an ARB fridge for a few weeks... it works FANTASTIC if you are driving every day. But in a hot climate (inside the truck is usually warm if you are somewhere sunny), that fridge would draw down a deep-cycle battery in a day or two. Running the truck for a "little while" doesn't do much to top off the battery either, you've gotta give it some serious time... so you end up blowing through a bunch of fuel just to keep your beer cold.

Most propane fridges will also run on 12v (though poorly) or 110/220 volt A.C. power. So if you have "shore power" you can save propane and when you are driving you can save propane by running on 12v.

Another thought: since you've got so much fuel capacity, you may find that you can get away without using both of the jerry cans on the rear for fuel. Maybe use one for drinking water? FWIW: yellow cans are usually used for diesel. Blue for water.

On the topic of water: if you keep your water storage in 5gal incriments +1, it is easy to get good water just about anywhere. By 5+1, I mean 6, 11, 16, 21... etc. That way, when you are down to your last gallon you can refill the container with another 5 gals. Any store just about ANYWHERE carries 5gal containers of drinking water (like the water cooler type). Sometimes, those water containers require a deposit to buy the bottle, so you just buy it, dump the 5gals into your own container, then return and are on your way.

With both fuel and water it is always nice to have some container that you can transport, not just hard mounted tanks. What happens if you run out of fuel/water just a few hundred yards from the gas station? Or, what if you are parked/camped and someone else offers to run into town for fuel/water? Nice to be able to send a jerry can or water container with them... also nice to be able to lend out your portable container to someone else in need.

ok. Nuff outta me for now. Great buildup.

Steve
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow, thanks for all the input. It's greatly appreciated. I just started a new job today, so my update on the build will be this weekend. The interior layout is now completely different than the first (two) times I did it. I'llgive more details then.

Roy
Old 04-22-2007, 01:47 PM

similar build-up

rather
great thread! I'm doing a similar project with less rigor over at Ih8mud- haven't posted any pics yet, but have finished the demo of removing the cab on my ride- an 84 fj60 landcruiser- lots o rust.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=138754
should have some drawings up real soon- i'm slow as all get out.
love to confer with you sometime on the deisel swap/engine choice- i've been looking at toyota deisels, didn't even think of the 'cedes. do you know pros/cons?
really nice looking fabrication work-
cheers
Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Man! Very impressive.,
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, can't believe this is still going! There is much anticipation on YotaTech for your finished product! FANTASTIC JOB.

BTW; your frame extensions look INCREDIBLY ROBUST! Holy Cow, they're thick!

Quick Reply: '89 4Runner + server rack + old pickup cap =...