Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4runner rear power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4runner rear power window issue

Okay everyone,, i been searching this site and im still confused. so yesterday my rear power window would NOT work,,,, i checked everything,, Finally i had my father push the tailgate in while i worked the inside button and it worked!! problem was fixed,,, the window even worked last night. SOO today i went to bring the window down and IT Will not work ... i made sure the tailgate was closed all the way.. i checked the topper bolt - it is tight. i switched the relay box behind the drivers seat panel ( i had an extra) ,, i checked the wiper to make sure its up all the way......... still nothing... i have no idea why this isnt working again,, i dont think its the window motor as it worked last night... im dumbfounded........ ( also the key hole on the tailgate has never worked during the 2 years i owned this. its only operated from the inside button ) when i push the inside button UP i hear the relay box click............... im dumbfounded,,, no idea what to do,,, any ideas of whats wrong?????? Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it may be the switch that senses if the tailgate is closed that is faulty, or the wiring that goes to it. It's in the left upper corner of the tailgate, so kinda hard to get at.

If you want, you can just bypass it by shorting the wire harness so it always looks closed to the system. be aware this will let you actuate the window with the tailgate open, so be careful if you go that route.

should be able to get to it by just popping off the trim cover on the inside of the tailgate and the metal plate under that. I think it's an oval or round plug with three wires coming off it.

If you want to make totally sure though, test the wiper up switch and the window limit switch too to make sure it's not one of those. Both can be verified with a volt meter pretty easily.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM

If u can hear the window motor when you push up on the switch u can get it down so can open the tailgate an work on it. Once you remove the pannel on the inside of the tailgate fine the two wires that put power up or down into the motor cut them stip the ends. They are red an green in my 4runner cross red with green an go push up an the reverse polarity of the motor will push the window down. Now you can open the tailgate an work on it standing up an not from inside the truck.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM

I just did this in my 4runner yesterday. Open the cover from the rear, get yourself a test light, and check for power on the red and green wires. You should have power to the wires if you have someone hit the internal switch in up and the other wire in down. I forget which is up and down at the moment. If you are getting proper power on both wires when the switch is flipped, chances are your motor is starting to go out. I bought one from the local toyota junk yard for 45 buck. Take your old one with you so they can match up your connector. Was three bolts not much time to change it.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do yourself a favor don`t go cutting any wires.

With the window up yes it is a real pain to crawl back there but remove the outer panel and the inner metal one.

it is quite easy to see the plug of the main harness unplug easy to jumper the motor connections bypassing the safety switches

I am leaning toward the switch that closes when the hatch is closed perhaps having help push on the upper left corner of the hatch.

I take it the window has worked just fine before it is possible the regulator needs some lube as well along with the rubber gaskets needing some silicone lube.

the switch in the hatch you have the correct key have you ever checked that it works stuff does wear out.

Changing a hatch motor is easy but you need to cage the regulator spring on the off chance the arms pop out of the track.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntr
...If you want, you can just bypass it by shorting the wire harness so it always looks closed to the system.
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Do yourself a favor don`t go cutting any wires.
Agree with Wyoming. You guys know how much we curse at previous owners who butcher wiring?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 AM

Cutting wires always leads to trouble later. Avoid this at all costs.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Agree with Wyoming. You guys know how much we curse at previous owners who butcher wiring?
I'll agree that cutting wires is usually a bad idea. The window motor can easily be tested (and rolled up and down when nothing else works) by unplugging the rear window/wiper relay harness and jumpering the positive to one of the motor wires and the ground to the other. switch positive and ground to roll the window the other way.

As for my tip on shorting the tailgate switch, I should clarify to only do that if a) you know the switch is broken, b) there's no other way to get the window to work until you get a replacement and b) you are comfortable enough reading a wiring diagram to figure out how to do it correctly.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM

i appreciate all the info alot guys. This gives me tons of info to start from... I will get at it and see what i can come up with.... Thanks to all