Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4Runner 22RE engine cutting out

Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4Runner 22RE engine cutting out

Have problems with 22RE throttle cutting out. Replaced TPS, checked Mass Air Flow Sensor, Replaced Speed Head with used Speed Head, and swapped out old ECU with a used one. The original Speed Head was not sending a signal to the ECU so I replaced. Speed Head sends signal to ECU every 4 revolutions. Any Ideas! Seems that the fuel is cutting out. I thought maybe an emmissions issue. I know the ECC has a fuel cut if the oxygen level is off.

Thanks, Eddie
Attached Thumbnails 89 4Runner 22RE engine cutting out-b88f_1-1-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 AM

The speed sensor issue is a pain- there was a very good tech article about them in 2000 issue of motor magazine-not sure what month but its on their website. Can you give a more detailed description of the problem? CUtting out under load, idle, cold, warmed up, intermittent?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Pull the cold start injector loose from the plenum and have someone crank the engine over. Have the distributor disconnected first, though. Have some rags wrapped around to deflect fuel spray. You should have a strong stream of fuel spray from the injector. If not, if it just kinda dribbles, you have a fuel pressure issue. In which case, check fuel filter, pressure regulator, and/or fuel pump. Without enough pressure, you would not be getting enough fuel to keep it running......... particularly under load.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 AM

The engine cranks fine and idles great. When under hood I can advance the throttle and the engine revs. up. When it reaches a certain point the engine cuts out. Thought it may be bad spot in TPS. Installed new TPS and still have the problem. Is worse under load. Can only go about 20 MPH. I replaced the speed sensor and ECU with used parts for junk yard. Very puzzling.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM

i've had this exact problem for the last month or so. I've replaced the fpr, fuel pump, pick up coil, coil, fuel filter, and seafoamed the thing. i'm out of ideas.

I have read on here that the MAF can pass the test in the FSM but still be the problem. have you tried a new MAF?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by yotabassman
i've had this exact problem for the last month or so. I've replaced the fpr, fuel pump, pick up coil, coil, fuel filter, and seafoamed the thing. i'm out of ideas.

I have read on here that the MAF can pass the test in the FSM but still be the problem. have you tried a new MAF?
This is true. I've even verified it with the head Toy tech at the local dealer. However, a problem on that circuit wouldn't be evident in such a specific way. Atleast, not in my experience. Worth checking, though. Search "AFM testing".

Also, there is a vacuum switching valve located on the firewall end of the valve cover for the fuel pressure regulator called the fuel pressure up switching valve. It receives a signal to open and allow a small vac leak for the regulator when the motor is under load/high throttle. Might check there.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Having problems editing............

To clarify...

A problem on the AFM measuring plate circuit.....not detectable by the normal FSM testing......usually creates a varying bad idle particularly when releasing the throttle. Alot of times the motor will even cut out, but not always. So.........
Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have we pulled trouble codes yet to see if the ecu has picked up on anything?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM

Codes?! They don't tell you squat!...lol!

(Just kidding.........mostly.)
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM

i checked the VSV and everything checked out fine. I've seen where there is a way to bypass the entire VSV, does anyone have a link on how to do that?

Also, the CEL is throwing a 21
Old 11-13-2008, 03:48 AM

back to the top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 AM

Are you sure the TPS is adjusted correctly? I had a hard time getting mine right and my truck ran fine but wouldn't go over 20.

Timing?

I also had a very dirty fuel pick-up and fuel filter that caused the same kind of issue.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 AM

I have replaced the following. TPS, Fuel Filter, Alternator, Plugs, Wires Distributor, ECU, Speed Head, and MAF Sensor. Still cutting out at middle throttle while in park. Will only go about 20 MPH Also remove exhaust from cat. converter just in case it was creating to much back pressure because it had colapsed. No luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM

Simmilar problem

I have an 89runner and have been having a simmilar issue. Mine starts fine, idles fine, revs fine. Heck it runs great all the way through first gear. But it all stops there. When I shift into second or any other sequential gear it starts to miss, spark-knock and sometimese shut off. any ideas??? have new TPS,Fuel filter and all the normal stuff you would replace on a rebulild my new eng has 2k on it. putting the new TPS did help for about 500 mi but the old demon is back.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ebrown3rd
I have replaced the following. TPS, Fuel Filter, Alternator, Plugs, Wires Distributor, ECU, Speed Head, and MAF Sensor. Still cutting out at middle throttle while in park. Will only go about 20 miles per hour Also remove exhaust from cat. converter just in case it was creating to much back pressure because it had colapsed. No luck.
have you checked the duct from the throttle body over to the air flow meter for any cracks, leaks or loose clamps?
do you hear any pinging when the engine cuts?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by wafiscott
I have an 89runner and have been having a simmilar issue. Mine starts fine, idles fine, revs fine. Heck it runs great all the way through first gear. But it all stops there. When I shift into second or any other sequential gear it starts to miss, spark-knock and sometimese shut off. any ideas??? have new TPS,Fuel filter and all the normal stuff you would replace on a rebulild my new eng has 2k on it. putting the new TPS did help for about 500 mi but the old demon is back.
have you checked the coil and ignitor?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM

I have checked the tubing from the MAF to the throttle body for cracks and haven't found any. I have unplugged the TPS and the problem still persist. I bought a used igniter and coil off of ebay and that didn't correct the problem. Is there a test for these components in the FSM?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM

FIXED IT!!!!

when i put the cam in i installed it incorrectly and it was 2 teeth off. problem is fixed and i feel like i'm in a hotrod now compared to how it was running!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 PM

All Clamps are tight and no cracks.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM

checked timing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 4Runner 22RE engine cutting out