86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 3.0 running troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 3.0 running troubles

Sorry for the lengthy post, but want to give as much info as possible..
89 4runner with 3.0. Truck ran great before hand. Son talked me into going wheeling( he has an 87 4runner). I ended up in a DEEP mudhole which had the truck leaning to the front right. Water covered the K&N filter and the motor died. Son pulled me out of hole and passenger opeed my door and water poured out for 5 mins.

Pulled plugs to make sure it wasnt hydrolocked. Motor would just crank and not start. Eventually smelled gas and had the flooded smell. So son pulled me down fire road and i bump started the truck and it ran. Drove 40 mins home and truck seemed fine except for lack of power some.

Came out next day and same thing. Just crank and no start. I pulled the codes and it was like 42,43 and a 51. All codes state ECM on this site http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/t...up-or-4runner/ yes my speedo doesnt work..its just a cable right?

I changed plugs,cap,button,wires, cleaned out intake,etc and did get the truck fired up. However, i have to pump the gas pedal and keep reving it up until the truck warms up after a couple minutes. Then it acts fine..i can then shut it off and it acts the exact same way..

If the ECM is junk, would i be able to bump start it? I asked about ECM, because the water was in that pass floorboard and could have soaked the unit..

Sorry again for long post, but any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 PM

Actually just took it for a test ride to the car wash..she seems to run fine after 2000 rpm..in the 1000-2000 range, it spits and sputters and hesitates. Once up to 170-180 temp it seems to go away and run fine..

Thanks for any help
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Probably you can ignore the code 43 for now. In my experience, that seems to come up when you leave the ignition switch on for a significant length of time without starting the engine - like you would do when checking codes. Bit of a bug in the diag system, I think.

41 is related to the vehicle speed sensor and is probably caused by the same issue that keeps your speedometer from working. If the speedometer hasn't worked before this episode, that's probably not your problem. If it just stopped working coincident with the dunking, it could be related.

51 appears to be a catch-all code for stuff that is likely not related to your problem.

Since you said the K&N air filter got dunked, I would investigate the VAFM. The symptoms of running well when hot but not cold point to a sensor issue that is making the ECU operate the engine incorrectly in open-loop mode. Once the engine warms up, it goes into closed loop mode and the ECU is more dependent on the O2 sensor and less so on the other sensors. Critical sensors in open-loop mode are VAFM, TPS, and ECT. Possibly vehicle speed as well.

My totally speculative guess is that the vane and/or mechanism in your airflow meter (VAFM) is gunked up and not moving freely.

(A note of warning: If you need to get into the VAFM mechanism, the proper way is to cut the RTV sealing the top lid on with an exacto knife and carefully remove the lid. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT remove the screws holding the connector to the VAFM body!!) There are good articles online for servicing the VAFM. Google for those before you get into it very far.)

Last edited by RJR; 08-19-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Thank you for the info ron. I will look that up tonight when i get home. The speedo did not work when i bought the truck, so i know it wouldnt be that code..since i know nothing of the VAFM and TPS, i will make sure to google and find those writeups..thanks again