Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 22RE Won't Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 22RE Won't Turnover

89 22RE pickup (221,000 mi) gives me dash lights but just a single 'click' when I try to start it. It began as an intermittent problem starting sometimes not starting others so I really thought the starter motor was going bad but doesn't seem like that was the problem. Also, this may or may not be related to the problem but when it is really cold the alternator light will come on (sometimes flickering) - once it warms up it goes away. It starts right up when I roll jump it but I'm tired of having to find hills to park on!

Here's what I've done so far that hasn't worked:

1. Replaced battery (old one was 9 years old so I thought this was going to do it but didn't fix the problem)
2. Had alternator tested twice and checked out fine both times.
3. Replaced the starter. Had the old one tested and turns out it was fine.
5. Replaced the starter relay by the fuses in the driver's side panel.
6. Tested the leads to the starter. In the 'on' position there is juice to the starter. Turn key to 'start' - no juice to starter.

Based on all that I think I'm down to the ignition switch but before I throw any more money at this I'd thought I'd ask for other ideas to check. Also, if it is the ignition switch if anyone can provide info on how to get the old out that would be cool. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM

If it is a manual check the "clutch start switch ".
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Replacing the ignition switch is easy, remove the trim around the steering column and you will see the ignition switch, unplug it and remove the screws holding it in place and remove the switch, put it back together in reverse order.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Here is a little idea...test these things before you replace them !

Can you describe the power you are getting at the starter...you say you have 12V when the ignition is 'on' but not when it is on 'start'. Does this mean your starter is trying to crank all the time? Doesnt make sense to me...

Clutch cancel often has trouble so its worth checking/bypassing. Get your DMM and check the ignition swtich vs FSM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:07 PM

no start

hope im not just pointing out the obvious, but nine time out of ten the block ground is funky. oiled up, you know the drill...........
Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM

clutch start switch

Originally Posted by bipolarandproud
If it is a manual check the "clutch start switch ".
I believe I already tested this by trying to use the Clutch Start Cancel switch on the dash. That should bypass the clutch start switch so if it still won't turnover then its probably not a faulty clutch start switch, correct?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by milehigheric
Here is a little idea...test these things before you replace them !

Can you describe the power you are getting at the starter...you say you have 12V when the ignition is 'on' but not when it is on 'start'. Does this mean your starter is trying to crank all the time? Doesnt make sense to me...

Clutch cancel often has trouble so its worth checking/bypassing. Get your DMM and check the ignition swtich vs FSM.
Yeah, I know - should taken the old starter for testing first...

Can you help a newbie out with the acronyms: DMM? FSM? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by gradyblownglass
hope im not just pointing out the obvious, but nine time out of ten the block ground is funky. oiled up, you know the drill...........
I thought of this as well and looked at it once already - seems to be in good shape. Plus, wouldn't it have issues running at all if there was a faulty ground? Once I get started by roll jumping it runs just fine... I'll check this out again just to be sure.

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

hit the starter if the starter is bad that will free it up and let it spin so you can start if its not a starter prob but and ign prob turn the keey to on position go to relay bot under hood pull plastic cover off of starter relay and grab metal parts of starter relay with rubbber handeld plyers that will make truck crank
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM

did u replace your battery cables with some new ones.. soounds like you just need to add a few grounds too.. bad ground to starter will make it just click..

cutt the old battery able back a little bit and look for corrision in the wire.. if you see any green in the wire.. go ahead buy new cables.. before you go out and buy new cable use a pair of jumper cables from neg. battery to a good ground on the starter.. and see if it will start.

do the same with pos. on battery to the pos. on starter..

get under your truck. with a multimeter and check your soleniod wire for power.. ground muiltmeter to block, and put the other one on solenoid wire and have some crank engine over.. no power means look in other places... power to solenoid wire means you probely have a bad ground or crappy battery cables..

Last edited by 1990yota-pickup; 01-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by osu94buckeye
Yeah, I know - should taken the old starter for testing first...

Can you help a newbie out with the acronyms: DMM? FSM? Thanks again.
DMM = Digital Multi-Meter (a.k.a. a volt meter)

FSM = Factory Service Manual:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/FSM.shtml

Some testing tips for the starter:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 AM

...before you go out and buy new cable use a pair of jumper cables from neg. battery to a good ground on the starter.. and see if it will start. do the same with pos. on battery to the pos. on starter..

Thanks man - I think I finally diagnosed the problem - bad cable from the positive battery lead. The truck fired right up when I connected the jumper cable from the positive battery lead to the starter.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 PM

osu94Buckeye are you from ohio?