Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 22RE won't start after timing chain/gasket change

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 89 22RE won't start after timing chain/gasket change

Hey guys i have a 89 pickup 4 wheel drive with a 22re engine. i recently changed the timing chain dampers and all the gaskets leading to the timing chain. now my truck doesnt start it acts like it will but it just wont...I have already checked the timing and that isant the problem cuz both the timing chain and the Destrub cap are at TDC.. so im kinda lost at to what to do...it doesnt start so i cant just hook it up to a diagnosis system to figure it out....also i have torn this engine down 4 times by myself well with the help of a Manuel that i bought at autozone and i cant figure out what is wrong
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
start with the basics. Spark, fuel, check all the normal stuff and go from there. Check your grounds and check your battery. You sure you put the timing chain on right? Doubt that's the problem since you have had it a part so many times but i'll bet it's some thing simple.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Just because the engine is at top dead center, doesn't mean you have it correctly in time.

It has to be at TDC on the compression stroke, THEN the dizzy has to point to one. Try rotating the dizzy 180 degrees, and see if it starts.

Remember, an engine needs 4 basics to start. Air, Fuel, Spark, and Timing. If you are getting Air, and the Injectors are firing, and it gets spark, then timing is the problem.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ah.....another Memphian. That's where I from, originally. Moved about 15 years ago. Was there visiting friends and family a year ago, though.

Did you remove the head to make the repair?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM

no i didnt have to pull the head off.
When i put the engine back together the last time i made sure it was at the right compression stroke and then put the chain on and got the pulley to TDC and before i put the distributor cap back on i made sure the distributor was at TDC so im really not thinking it would be a timing issue although i can be mistaken i will check all of that today and post later tonight what i have found....now i drained all the gas out of the gas tank when it went down cuz i needed it in my moms car which i have been driveing cuz of the truck being down but i put in about a gallon maybe a gallon and a half is that enough gas to help it start? Now i know that my spark plugs need to be replaced would that be prohibiting the truck from starting....I dont know how to check to see if the spark plugs are still sparking like they should? i took the spark plugs out about 2 weeks ago and cleaned them is there anything else i should do?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM

ok so i took it apart and re timed it via the timing chain and the distributor and you guys were all right the timing must have been off because he started right up but now i have a oil leak it is coming from the bottom right of the engine where the timing cover and the oil pan meet im thinking i can just take some liquid gasket and put it around where the 2 parts meet and that should stop the leak but im not 100% on this cuz i was wrong the last time so i ask you guys if this will work of if i need to do something else to it?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM

also thank you guys so much for making me go back and check it because i have been fighting with this truck trying to get it working and it was a mistake that i made that was prohibiting it from working
Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Shop manual says to put RTV in the upper and lower corners of the timing cover when installing (kind of, at least that is the spirit and intent of the directions).
Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM

ok so should i take the timing cover off and put some on the corners???? if that is what it will take i will take it apart again tomarrow i still have to get the alternator cleaned and fixed tomarrow anyways so is that what i should do?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
did you have the pan off??

i used a spot of FIPG at the tops of the timing cover where it meets the block on top and at the bottom as per the FSM....nowhere else.

are you leaking from the cover-block mating surface or the cover-oil pan mating surface?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 PM

see if any of this helps

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-212688/
Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 AM

OK well i took my alternator up and had it fixed and now it works properly...i then took my battery up to the auto parts store to get it charged and now by battery is dead and i still haven't fixed the oil leak...I thought i did but it ended up not working so im upset at my truck...i might not post anything for a few days while i let my truck sit and i try and figure out how im going to fix this crap if anyone has any idea to a way to fix this please let me know because right now im ready to just sell my truck off
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 PM

well i have decided that i will not sell my truck instead i will take the engine apart and clean every part of it because it is all caked in oil from the oil leak I will be starting a new topic on everything that i do...I will be taking pictures of the whole job... and I will be the only person that will be working on my truck so i can figure this will take a while but i would love for everyone here to let me know anything that you see me doing wrong so i can do it the right way
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM

hey...i don't know you or your background but if you read either of my threads you would know i HAD no mechanic experience...i rebuilt mine (except the crank and pistons) with the engine still in the truck and by myself until the day i turned the key when XXXTREME22R came over and set my valves and adjusted my timing.

if you have the luxury of time like i did, take it slowly and methodically and you will succeed. if you don't have the luxury of time, you still can do it, just make sure you have the tools and the parts and a realistic list of things to do today.

hang in there. post lots of pics too and we can help you.