Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 yota timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 yota timing chain

So my wife snapped the timing chain in the yota today. It has 161,XXX. I pulled the VC and it looks like everything is fine, just needs a new chain. Well I have never done anything on this truck besides routine maint. Can anyone tell me about how long of a job I am looking at? How difficult will this be, and do I need any special tools?

I am pretty good under the hood, and have done my share of motor swaps on honda's. Thanks guys
Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM

make your wife do all the labor, after all SHE broke it...

not hard at all
Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Go ahead and pull the head dude. The 22R/R-E motors are interference motors so if the chain snaps it is likely that the pistons will hit the valves. This is something you probably won't be able to tell from the top. The timing chain is a bit annoying and time consuming to replace and that just gets multiplied when you button it back up and find you have bent valves. With pulling the head you're probably looking at a good 10-12 hour job since you haven't done it before. Make sure you have a good service manual handy too for torque specs and all that. Good luck man!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by amgraham
Go ahead and pull the head dude. The 22R/R-E motors are interference motors so if the chain snaps it is likely that the pistons will hit the valves. This is something you probably won't be able to tell from the top. The timing chain is a bit annoying and time consuming to replace and that just gets multiplied when you button it back up and find you have bent valves. With pulling the head you're probably looking at a good 10-12 hour job since you haven't done it before. Make sure you have a good service manual handy too for torque specs and all that. Good luck man!
I agree.. definetly pull the head since the motor was running when it went.. Wow snapped a chain not to common that really sucks
Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Contributing Member

put the bolts into baggies and label each baggie, water pump, timing chain cover, water pipes. you get the idea. just helps when you stick it back together. it is without a doubt, an all day job for me. when you put the headgasket on, make sure it is on right . on the back corner of the head there is a return, not a big one, but if the gasket is not on right you will have one heck of an oil leak.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, this sounds like more than I am willing to get into right now. I work 75+ hours a week and my day is off is just that until things slow down. A friend of mine is going to do it for me. However I have a few more questions. I got the chain and tensioner, is there anything else I will need (assuming no valves are bent etc)? I know when I do the timing belt on my integra I also change the water pump, should I do the same in this situation? I'm just hoping this wont cost me to much money as we are spending out vacation money to get her truck fixed. Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 PM

The water pump isn't behind the chain (belt) like your Integra was so if you're pinching pennies it's not necessary right now unless it's leaking (just much more convenient to do it now). You will also need the timing chain guides. If you are planning on keeping the truck a long time do yourself a favor and get some metal guides. This is a good place to get them: engnbldr. If you're just looking for a couple years then new plastic guides will be fine. Have you checked the oil? Normally if there is enough slack for the chain to break then it will wear a hole in the timing cover and dump coolant in the oil. If that happened then you will need a new timing cover. Other than that and the necessary gaskets and silicone you should be set.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Id also suggest getting the front crank seal... and im tryin to remember if theres a cam seal as well.. im totally drawing a blank for whatever reason... get it if there is one