86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 Toyota Truck 4X4 Fuel Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 Toyota Truck 4X4 Fuel Problem.

Here is the Specs on my truck. That way you all no what I have.
1988 Toyota 4x4 Truck
22-RE 4 cyl (EFI) for those that dont no
Standered 5 speed tranny

Hey Fella's I got a 88 Toyota 4x4 PickUp truck. About 3 Months back my motor started knocking an loosing power. I was coming up my DriveWay and my truck quit on me, Seemed like it just all of a sudden ran out of gas. So I was hell with it. I pulled it to my house and let it set for about a 3 weeks. I went back out there and tried to start it back up to go get some fire wood and it just set there and cranked and would not start. So i went an got some starting fluid and sprayed into the EFI. Well then it started but quiet. So I sprayed some more and started it back up. As long as I was spraying starting fluid in it. Then it would run. So about 4 weeks back I pulled the 22RE motor out and dropped a new 22RE down in it. And well I still got the same problem. Altho I got a new Motor LOL. So I pulled the fuel pump out and replaced it with another one i had lying around here. I tested my pump and Sure as hell it works. So I was Stumped. So i decided to run a straight wire straight to my feul pump to see if that would fix my problem. Well it didnt. So i poured some gas into a pop bottle and squirted it back into the EFI and well it will start an run until it runs out of gas. So would any of you people no what would be wrong with this. As long as i am running a straight wire to the fuel pump it works. Other then that it dont kick on. But even with a straight wire hooked to my fuel pump it still wont start without me pouring gas into the EFI. My truck has been setting now for 3 months with a new motor in it and wont even start. Really is starting to piss me off. So I would greatly appreaciate any help that I can get. Thanks Alot.
The following users liked this post:
Hawk_man24 (03-15-2021)
Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Here's a Image of the truck
Name:  88Toy4x4.jpg
Views: 5798
Size:  51.3 KB
Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Here is the Specs on my truck. That way you all no what I have.
1988 Toyota 4x4 Truck
22-RE 4 cyl (EFI) for those that dont no
Standered 5 speed tranny

Hey Fella's I got a 88 Toyota 4x4 PickUp truck. About 3 Months back my motor started knocking an loosing power. I was coming up my DriveWay and my truck quit on me, Seemed like it just all of a sudden ran out of gas. So I was hell with it. I pulled it to my house and let it set for about a 3 weeks. I went back out there and tried to start it back up to go get some fire wood and it just set there and cranked and would not start. So i went an got some starting fluid and sprayed into the EFI. Well then it started but quiet. So I sprayed some more and started it back up. As long as I was spraying starting fluid in it. Then it would run. So about 4 weeks back I pulled the 22RE motor out and dropped a new 22RE down in it. And well I still got the same problem. Altho I got a new Motor LOL. So I pulled the fuel pump out and replaced it with another one i had lying around here. I tested my pump and Sure as hell it works. So I was Stumped. So i decided to run a straight wire straight to my feul pump to see if that would fix my problem. Well it didnt. So i poured some gas into a pop bottle and squirted it back into the EFI and well it will start an run until it runs out of gas. So would any of you people no what would be wrong with this. As long as i am running a straight wire to the fuel pump it works. Other then that it dont kick on. But even with a straight wire hooked to my fuel pump it still wont start without me pouring gas into the EFI. My truck has been setting now for 3 months with a new motor in it and wont even start. Really is starting to piss me off. So I would greatly appreaciate any help that I can get. Thanks Alot.
Fuel filter been checked?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Just put a new one on it Today. An still got the same problem. Thats what I dont understand. It just quit on me one day and hasnt started on it's own since. I mean i replaced the engine. I was gonna do that anyways. Replaced fuelPump. Ran a straight wire from battery to feul pump. And it still wont run without me puring gas into it.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Just put a new one on it Today. An still got the same problem. Thats what I dont understand. It just quit on me one day and hasnt started on it's own since. I mean i replaced the engine. I was gonna do that anyways. Replaced fuelPump. Ran a straight wire from battery to feul pump. And it still wont run without me puring gas into it.
Wonder if the tank sock is plugged? When you changed the filter did fuel keep coming out?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Well When i changed my Fuel pump I bought a new screen that goes on the bottom of the Feul Pump. See when i hook the pump up straight I get fuel. I can get fuel al all the way up to the EFI part. So I no for a fact that it isnt my Fuel pumo or filters. I can loosen up the fuel line that mounts on the EFI and gas squirts out. This is only when I hook the pump up strait. Altho the truck still wont start unless I am pouring gas into it. So i dont understand what it could be.

Is there anykind of relays that could stop my Fuel injection from letting gas pass through the EFI?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Well When i changed my Fuel pump I bought a new screen that goes on the bottom of the Feul Pump. See when i hook the pump up straight I get fuel. I can get fuel al all the way up to the EFI part. So I no for a fact that it isnt my Fuel pumo or filters. I can loosen up the fuel line that mounts on the EFI and gas squirts out. This is only when I hook the pump up strait. Altho the truck still wont start unless I am pouring gas into it. So i dont understand what it could be.

Is there anykind of relays that could stop my Fuel injection from letting gas pass through the EFI?
Okay, sounds like the injectors aren't firing. Wait, this a carb model? Just looked at your first post and is EFI. Sounds like injector not firing, not totaly familiar with the 22R to know if a relay is on this one. Plenty of experts will chime in, lot of 22r and RE people here, just not online yet. Hang in there.

Last edited by JEBSR5; 04-26-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM

See buddy. My injectors are Fireing. If they wernt firing then It wouldnt start when i pour gas into it. Otherwise how would the gas get into the chamber. So there has to be sumthing thats not letting gas travel from the Gas lines down to the injectors. See my Fuel pump doesnt kick on unless I hook it up srtaight. But like i said said before. It still wont start. So there must be a bad relay or sumthing.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM

See buddy. My injectors are Fireing. If they wernt firing then It wouldnt start when i pour gas into it. Otherwise how would the gas get into the chamber. So there has to be sumthing thats not letting gas travel from the Gas lines down to the injectors. See my Fuel pump doesnt kick on unless I hook it up srtaight. But like i said said before. It still wont start. So there must be a bad relay or sumthing.
Well, if they were firing, you wouldn't have to pour fuel into it. It's running off the fuel/fumes you pour in. If they were firing, it would stay running. I agree, there may be a relay involved.

Unless I'm not understanding where you are pouring the fuel. I assumed you were pouring it into the TB/plenum.
Where are you putting the fuel?

Last edited by JEBSR5; 04-26-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...28fuelpump.pdf
Old 04-27-2007, 05:21 AM

Thank ya UncleBob. I went throught and checked some relays. There is one relay that I aint sure about. It's located on the Driver side behind the little Kick Panels. According to my Book it should click when I turn the Key on. However it makes no noice. A buddy of mine is going to bring his 4runner up and were going to try puttin his in mine and see if that changes anything. I hope it does lol.

But guys thanks alot for your help and support. If i dont get it fixed I will continue to update you all.

Oh by the way, I pulled a hose off my ValvePan Cover. It's the hose closest to the front of the truck. It mounts on the side of the EFI. I was pouring my gas into that. It couldnt been runnin off fumes because as long as I was pouring gas it would run. An i mean it would run for several minutes until i stoped pouring gas. So my injects has got to be firing.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM

Well i have checked my Relays and seem to find no problems. I changed out computer and that still didnt help. So i tested my relay's and my computer on my buddies 4runner and they work. So what in the hell could be amatter with mine. I am about to say hell with the EFI and just jerk my EFI off an put a weber carburator kit on it. I have one lying in my garage I just didnt want a carburator for wheeling purposes. So if any of you all may no what is wrong with my truck please post. It's really starting to get to me.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Sounds like your pickup in the distributor is not working. That is what gives the injectors the pulse. Pull the distributor, turn the key to the run position and turn the distributor by hand. You should hear the injectors fire as you turn.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Well, I think it's important that the fuel pump actually run when you turn the key on. There's an electronic problem somewhere.

What's in between the fuel line and where you'd dumping your fuel, for it to run? Fuel pressure regulator?

Just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:13 PM

I am dumping the Fuel directly into my EFI throught a little hose that connects onto my Valve Pan Cover. I geuss it's just a Vacume hose.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
A few ideas come to mind and I'm just throwing info out that hasn't appeared on this thread.

First thing, the fuel pump will NOT cycle on with the key in the ON position. 83-95 22re's cycle the pump while CRANKING. It's the air flow meter that cycles the fuel pump on, besides the fuel pump relay giving it power (Toyota calls it a "circuit opening relay").

So, check and ohm out the AFM here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

Check the fuel pressure regulator by cycling the fuel pump on and removing the vacuum hose from the regulator. If any fuel comes out of the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose, the regulator is toast.

A member here mentioned the signal generator in the distributor. Usually, when the signal generator fails you'll have no spark, but it's worth checking anyway. It should register between 140-180 ohms from the connector side of the distributor lead (I believe it's green).

Another possibility is a break in the soldered connection (10 and 20) for the injectors. Give this a good reading.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Did anyone figure out the fix for this? My '88 3vze currently has the same problem.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Hey Guys, Im new to the forum, this is actually my first post, so cut me some slack, but the fuel injectors don't even need to be connected for a car to start and run for a while, the reason it's running is because you're manually putting gas in the intake, you're bypassing the whole fuel delivery system when you do that....Am I correct guys?

btw, if this question was already answered im sorry, but I would be curious too if something else is the problem
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM

seems to me it is a bad injector or a bad injector wire
Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM

I have the same exact problem with my 88 Toyota 4x4. I was actually driving down my road on my way home and mine started the same knocking and just quit. We can't figure anything out and have tried almost everything.

Quick Reply: 88 Toyota Truck 4X4 Fuel Problem.