Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 4runner 3.slw build...Wake the beast inside?? lotsofpics

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 4runner 3.slw build...Wake the beast inside?? lotsofpics

I bought this truck a few months ago and just started working on it now . I am a complete yota noob first one ever for me. So Hi everyone .Drove my buddies '89 4runner IFS, didn't stop until i found one for myself. Bought it through a friend of my fathers who got it brand new in 88. 340k 5spd and as you can see was in rough shape before i saved her.

long term goal:
1" body lift
4-6" lift
33's
Full custom interior:
custom center console, painted interior, soundproofed,
Power everything
7mgte, 2JZ..
rear disc
bj spacers
custom tube rear bumber with spare swing, front tube bumper with winch, soft top, sliders and fog lights
Roof lights rack
carbon fiber hood and front fenders, possibly the rear tailgate too

Alot more ideas but that is the basic idea

When i finally got to work on it, it had been in the garage for over a month i was killing me not be able to get started. first thing i had to do was fix the major body rot, which there was even more then i had originallythought
The PO had covered all the rust with duct tape so obviously everything was rotted. nothing a little work, sheet steel, and fiber glass can't fix

used 16g steel from work Don't have a welder so i just used self tapping screws and ground the heads off. Held up well so far.

Whole top of tailgate is gone :s stupid duck tape

I'm lovin the new fenders , but still have to fix the lower rear fender where the cover fits on, both completely gone. Tomorrow is paint day, going primer black untill i get some more $$$.

Last edited by MaDkAtT44; 03-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM

I'm looking to do th zuk mod since my springs are dead, PO took out the bump stop to smooth out the ride, is there anywhere beside toyota i can get a set of new bump stops? i am having trouble finding a supplier
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try a wrecking yard or auto recycler. you can also get one of those grab handles for the drivers side.

you don't say where you live under your name, sometimes people can help you and be specific as to where to go for parts.

good luck. yours is the same color mine was before i primered it, light metallic blue.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM

send DeathCougar a PM/inbox. He works at a Toyota/Lexus wrecking yard in WA. He knows his Toyotas. Myself, and quite a few members here have dealt with him, and I personally have not had a single problem with my dealings with him......

The name of the company he works for is Nix99.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Finally got the safety and emissions done, no problems, . Thank god guess i thought i was done for the emissions. working on stripping the interior and looking into Zuk mod, lol my rear leafs are flat, less then 6" off the tire hehe rides like a tramp-o-leen. Will be posting pic of finished paint job soon, rolling on Tremclad. cheap and tough best of both worlds.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM

truck keeps poping out of first :s but only first, none of the other gears is this a tranny problem or my shifter /linkage? lol or is it normal
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaDkAtT44
truck keeps poping out of first :s but only first, none of the other gears is this a tranny problem or my shifter /linkage? lol or is it normal
You need one of these...
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats
Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Awsome thanks man getting scary in hwy traffic
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM

got a whack of new parts and a new tailgate, have pics of the old one will post later, got a spare hood as well. Want to add a hood scoop any ideas of the placement for looks and functionality? At least until i get my snorkel.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Hi guys a little update. Had the truck parked for awhile gather parts and such. Just pulled her out today. Battery was dead :s have no idea why, no lights where on and it was stored indoors, but nothing a little boost couldn't fix. Got some updated pics too. Been thinking about going for a soft top. I've done some research but couldn't find alot. I'm looking for full soft top that you can mount a roof rack on top and preferably with side windows, any suggestions?

Got some new rims

What was left of my old tailgate :o

YOTA on the jobsite (pardon the crappy cell pic)

My buddies yota

Just before i put her away

lol and just for the hell of it here is my other project

Gonna have some more pics up soon. Picked up a whole interior out of an SR5 '89 4runner. I already disassembled the whole dash and washed it gonna paint/dye it this weekend. Already have the seats in they are wicked Worst of all for my wallet i need new tires soon, PO bought cosco tires, there fading fast lol, over 1200km most weeks. As soon as the weather breaks round here i am going to do a roll on paint job on the truck with tremclad. Always look forward to sanding....jk's

ps i would love to put power windows in my truck, i've found a few regulator arms and such but the motors are very expensive$$80+ each(granted i only need 2 but still), is there another car/truck power window motor/ system i could use that might be cheaper?? Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM

very cool project! I can't wait to see your interior work.

As for the beast inside...I doubt there is a beast inside the 3.0. Unfortunately....
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM

lol its not bad actually for 350k, never failed me thus far, not once. Have not put a cent into the engine, that is untill a few weeks ago, over 50K since i bought it.Pulls hard with load and a 8ft trailer. imho its actaul not a bad motor but a pig on gas but i'm thinking on goin the 3.4T route as newer diesel engines are expensive :s
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Is there an upgrade for the clutch master? like from a 3.4 setup be better? mine is almost shot, was contaminated with motor oil by PO
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM

picking up the paint today for the dash will document and post pictures after the weekend, going for a black base with lime green highlights if i can find the color
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM

If you are contemplating a diesel swap you should look into the Mercedes Om617. They aren't too expensive. Great build! Good luck. As for the clutch I am not sure the hydraulics are different but I am not sure I'm sure someone will chime in!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have the same truck I do, but mine is black. When the time comes ditch the v6 for a 22re or a 3.4 swap. I got all the rust too. The tailgate i got from a southern scrap yard and fixed it after UPS banged it up. So If possible find another tailgate from outside the rust belt.

I like HOK paint, but its pricey stuff. I'm contemplating boat paint and a roller for the top.

Check out PPG anti-freeze green.. looks cool!

I like you rat rod!

Is your buddies truck "ferrari red"? Looks nice!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
You have the same truck I do, but mine is black. When the time comes ditch the v6 for a 22re or a 3.4 swap. I got all the rust too. The tailgate i got from a southern scrap yard and fixed it after UPS banged it up. So If possible find another tailgate from outside the rust belt.

I like HOK paint, but its pricey stuff. I'm contemplating boat paint and a roller for the top.

Check out PPG anti-freeze green.. looks cool!

I like you rat rod!

Is your buddies truck "ferrari red"? Looks nice!
I got a pretty good(around here being only a few rust holes and a little bit of rot) tailgate off kijiji awhile back but i would love a tailgate out of Texas or Oklahoma. I go down there from time to time, but I have never even seen a 4runner when i was there. I've been looking into HOK dealer by my place, nice color selection. pretty simple to work with aswell i'm told. Going there on Monday hopefully. Thanks Its my first car, bought it when i was 14 off a farmer in Manitoba. Pretty much rust free and great condition except for a few bullet holes been my project for over 10 years now...lol budget. I used PPG for the hot rod not bad but i was not a big fan. I actually have no idea what color outside of "red" lol my friends truck is.

Gonna go with OEM clutch master, my system is bad, scary actually haha, but i found OEM for about $50 at a parts place in the area

On another note...NooB Q time: Is it normal in our trucks for the gas pedal to be stiff as hell? mine is terrible feels like i'm fighting to keep it steady. Any help would be great, this is really bugging me

Last edited by MaDkAtT44; 03-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJoe
If you are contemplating a diesel swap you should look into the Mercedes Om617. They aren't too expensive. Great build! Good luck. As for the clutch I am not sure the hydraulics are different but I am not sure I'm sure someone will chime in!
I kinda gave up on the whole diesel idea, to expensive for me at the moment, i also cannot find very much info on the subject, any links would be appreciated. Would be awsome tho, becuase i can get deseil from work for cheaper, and if i dared lots of free dyed desiel kicking around at work too

Last edited by MaDkAtT44; 03-26-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Update
Got alot done in the past few day:

*Installed new clutch master and slave I feel like i have a new truck....The old one was contaminated with oil lol not very fun to drive
*new to me power mirrors
*new Rancho's 5145 and 5180 shocks all four corners(to be installed tonight)
*got some of the dash dyed
*workin on plans for a custom center console
*replacing all vacuum tubes...work in progress lol one at a time
*picked up a cool 12v inverter with a radio tuner built in gonna hardwire it somewhere on the dash
*flushed the nasty 15+yr old dot3 fluid and replaced with DOT4
*ordered the parts for the ZUK mode

Workin on some ideas:
*f150 rear leafs:
I have a complete stock setup how would this affect my ride hieght and load cap.? Could i use my stock shackles?
*BJ spacers
*U bolt flip kit:
Can i still use The new Rancho's?
*Rear disc swap:
Could i just get an axle out of a later model 4x4 yota with the OEM disc setup on it already, how would the gearing be affected. Could i use OEM ebrake components
*walbro fuel pump w/regulator
*power locks
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Anyone Know where i can get this Visor??? I've looked everywhere and pm'd the owner of this ride :s

Quick Reply: 88 4runner 3.slw build...Wake the beast inside?? lotsofpics