Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88' 22re Pickup exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88' 22re Pickup exhaust

Hello, I'm new here.
I have a 88' Toyota Pickup, It's kinda rough, and i'm not exactly overfolowing with cash.

My old exhaust system is complete trash, every part of it. I'm looking for a system that is good. I've found about 7 different headers for sale,

LC engineering (leaning toward, i've only heard of one person that didn't like it)
Thorley ( possibility heard of 2 people not liking it)
Downey (too expensive heard of 3 people not liking it)
NWOR (not very much information)
Pacesetter (seems to be too cheap, haven't heard of anyone using it)
headmen (never heard of it being used)
hooker (never heard of it being used)

I'm think either 2.25" or 2" exhaust would be appropriate, i have a good exhaust guy close to be that will do custom crush bends, he says he'll bend it up and weld it up for about $150

I already bought a new O2 sensor from Toyota. Then there's the cat and the muffler, there is about unlimited possibilitys with each. I'm thinking that a Flowmaster would be a good choice, i want it to sound good and deep but fairly quiet at the same time. I'm not sure what to think about the different serious of mufflers Flowmaster sells. either 40, 50, or 60 serious i guess.

If anybody has an available guidance that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by mr x; 10-02-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

i just built my own exhaust with stuff from the parts store. i went 2.5 tubing with the thinking that the crush part in the bends is 2.25. it made a good bit of difference with freeing up some power. i went with the stainless LCE header and love it. welcome to Y/T.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by tortis
i just built my own exhaust with stuff from the parts store. i went 2.5 tubing with the thinking that the crush part in the bends is 2.25. it made a good bit of difference with freeing up some power. i went with the stainless LCE header and love it. welcome to Y/T.
Where did you buy the header from? I've heard of people saying they bought LCE headers 3rd party but never speficy were. how much did it cost? It's like $350 or something on LCE's site.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I purchased an LCE header for my 86 4runner. The header still looks brand new to this day, and I have NEVER had a leak problem. My only issue is in the connecting pipe, i think the flange was welded on wrong, as it turns into the torsion bar mount. But in terms of quality, and price, its the best in the business.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mr x,

Just a word of advice when asking on the net: no matter what product you are looking at, you will ALWAYS find SOMEONE who had a problem with it. There aren't any 100%'s out there.

I run the Downey header. Its fine. IMO, on a stock 22re, meaning no cam/valve train/fuel management modifications, any exhaust upgrade offers minuscule to minimal performance enhancement. A modified motor is a different story.

Since you are looking for a replacement, any of the above choices would be good. I'm only discussing the Downey because it's the one I've got.

The Downey unit is decent, works well, and was much easier to deal with than the stock crap.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
mr x,

Just a word of advice when asking on the net: no matter what product you are looking at, you will ALWAYS find SOMEONE who had a problem with it. There aren't any 100%'s out there.

I run the Downey header. Its fine. IMO, on a stock 22re, meaning no cam/valve train/fuel management modifications, any exhaust upgrade offers minuscule to minimal performance enhancement. A modified motor is a different story.

Since you are looking for a replacement, any of the above choices would be good. I'm only discussing the Downey because it's the one I've got.

The Downey unit is decent, works well, and was much easier to deal with than the stock crap.
Ok thanks for the input, yea I'm not even very worried about performance, I just want a really good replacement system that will last and having it sound better would be nice too.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Careful here.

There are only a few mufflers that sound good on this motor. A muffler designed for a big block V-8 will make a 22re sound like a loser ricer mobile. The flow master unit for these trucks (drawing a blank on the model) works pretty well. I went down to a local exhaust shop and talked with the guys for a while. Got a muffler for 30 bucks, and it sounds perfect.

As for replacement headers, I suggest that whatever you get, get the ceramic coating. It does keep the engine bay a little cooler, but it also resists corrosion better than anything else I've seen.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Careful here.

There are only a few mufflers that sound good on this motor. A muffler designed for a big block V-8 will make a 22re sound like a loser ricer mobile. The flow master unit for these trucks (drawing a blank on the model) works pretty well. I went down to a local exhaust shop and talked with the guys for a while. Got a muffler for 30 bucks, and it sounds perfect.

As for replacement headers, I suggest that whatever you get, get the ceramic coating. It does keep the engine bay a little cooler, but it also resists corrosion better than anything else I've seen.
according to flowmaster's website the 60 series is for 4cyls, the rest seem to be for V8s
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This is the only place i could find the header for sale stainless and ceramic coated:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...E-AFD57B01689E

and this catalytic converter:

If i get all this that would put me at $700+ fees+taxes............

wow
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

i bought mine from LCE. if you want to hear my set up, i will pm you my cell number if you want.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tortis
i bought mine from LCE. if you want to hear my set up, i will pm you my cell number if you want.
If you would that would be great.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Careful here.

Flowmaster 60 serious is supposedly for 4cyls, according to their website. they're about $120.

header: $360ish from LCE

Magnaflow cat: $70

piping and labor $150

so about $700??
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a V8 muffler will turn it into a ricer? up in the mountains i saw a 81 green yota with the 20r engine and the guy said he had a 'procomp' header (not the company procomp, a professional competition) and a V8 muffler... sounded SO mean. he asked me if i had a carburator, and i was like, na, fuel injection. he was like, that sucks, cant have no fun with it. did i misunderstand everythin he said, or is he a friggin liar?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

When I bought my POS downey system, it came with a ricer muffler. We had an aftermarket from a 345 laying around, and it also sounded like a ricer. Had to get a quieter muffler to get it to sound good.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks allot tortis for getting some sound samples for me. Looks like I'm going to go ahead and get a setup like yours. I'm going to order the LCE header tomorrow.

Thanks allot guys