86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Turbo Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Turbo Wiring Harness

I've got an 87 SR5 Turbo 4Runner (auto) that has been stripped of all EFI/Turbo parts with the exception of the Dash and Engine Harness, and ECU. I've collected all the EFI parts and have begun to build it back to 22re (not attempting turbo). The PO also swapped the trans to M/T in addition to turning it into a 22r. I also found a complete 87 22re harness/ECU and was planning on dropping it in as the original turbo harness is cut after the injectors on the Engine harness.

(cut turbo harness)

(cut turbo harness)

Problem is, I'd like to keep all of the extras that the SR5 has, AC, power windows etc. looking at these two harness "side by side" there are a lot of extra plugs on the 22rte harness that the 22re doesn't have including a clear flat plug where the engine harness plugs into the ECU that looks to have a lot of matching wires where the harness was cut. I was hoping to use the new "uncut" 22re harness on the engine side and connect to the existing 22rte harness in the dash as I heard that the harnesses are mostly the same with the exception of O2. But there is this large clear plug that the 22re does not have. Is some of this extra wiring for turbo and A/T and I could run without it?

(clear plug near ECU on turbo harness)
I just ordered an 87 factory manual and am hoping to determine what these cut wires are and either cap them or rerun them if necessary. I have all the EFI parts installed and all the connectors are accounted for on the engine and elsewhere, so where did these hacked wires go on the 22rte?

Last edited by viesail; 05-31-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

About the only way to figure out where all the wires go is to sit down and figure them out one at a time .

I hope you got the Electrical wiring diagrams for your 87

Yes the ECT has extra wires .

It looks like you have a project on your hands.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I ordered the factory manual for an 87 on eBay. Hasn't arrived yet. I hope that it has better wiring diagrams than Chiltons. Chiltons has been nearly useless so far.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by viesail
I ordered the factory manual for an 87 on eBay. Hasn't arrived yet. I hope that it has better wiring diagrams than Chiltons. Chiltons has been nearly useless so far.
You can get a Alldata subscription if you find your ebay manual lacking. The wiring diagrams on Alldata are excellent. You can even see what the connector looks like, and what pin the wire goes to on the connector.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
You can get a Alldata subscription if you find your ebay manual lacking. The wiring diagrams on Alldata are excellent. You can even see what the connector looks like, and what pin the wire goes to on the connector.

I'm going to look into this Alldata subscripton. Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I'm not afraid to do some rewiring, Just needed to know if I can make the 87 turbo harness work on my 87 EFI.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by viesail
I'm going to look into this Alldata subscripton. Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I'm not afraid to do some rewiring, Just needed to know if I can make the 87 turbo harness work on my 87 EFI.
https://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/index.html

Well worth it. I like the fact that you can access it with a smartphone while on the road. I have done roadside repairs using my small toolbag and alldata info from my phone.

Once you get the first car subscription, the next car and future renewals are cheaper.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as the cab harness,the only thing different that I can think of is the little turbo light on the cluster that is triggered by the afm. You have to use the resistor box if you are using the older style injectors and such.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
As far as the cab harness,the only thing different that I can think of is the little turbo light on the cluster that is triggered by the afm. You have to use the resistor box if you are using the older style injectors and such.
I have the resistor box, guess I'd need to figure out how to wire it up if I use the turbo harness, unless its connector exists on turbo harness too. I'm out of town right now, can't look until next week.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
https://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/index.html

Well worth it. I like the fact that you can access it with a smartphone while on the road. I have done roadside repairs using my small toolbag and alldata info from my phone.

Once you get the first car subscription, the next car and future renewals are cheaper.
Yes, this diagram of the connectors is great, looks like the one I'm trying to figure out is the N1 connector. I'm seeing some color coded wiring diagrams floating around. Where do those come from? Are people making them or is there a resource I have yet to stubble on?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:31 PM

87 turbo wiring harness

I have a complete 86 regular cab 4x4 turbo wiring harness if interested,it had a 5 speed in it,was in my daily driver of 9 years.I removed my whole turbo setup and turbo head and ran a 22re head with my turbo injectors and turbo computer and ran a 22re exhaust manifold and header pipe and connected turbo afm with custom built intake tube to the throttle body and it ran awesome until a deer ran out in front of me.You have to use turbo injectors with turbo computer,or use 22re injectors with 22re computer.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAINETOY
I have a complete 86 regular cab 4x4 turbo wiring harness if interested,it had a 5 speed in it,was in my daily driver of 9 years.I removed my whole turbo setup and turbo head and ran a 22re head with my turbo injectors and turbo computer and ran a 22re exhaust manifold and header pipe and connected turbo afm with custom built intake tube to the throttle body and it ran awesome until a deer ran out in front of me.You have to use turbo injectors with turbo computer,or use 22re injectors with 22re computer.
hey just scrolling through threads and if this thread owner doesn't bite on this how much would you be looking for for complete turbo set up
And where your located
Old 06-01-2015, 05:46 PM

turbo parts

Jcrawl94 i sent you a PM.