Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 runner wont idle

Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 runner wont idle

okay ill try to make this long story as short as possible,

as everyone knows, its been raining, alot. was driving home and didnt see a puddle(mini lake) and i hit it at about 35, soakerd and splashed everything, woop de doo right? well after that it drove like poop. got it home and let everything dry, work just fine yesterday moring, went to work, on the way home it was pouring, stopped and got gas, wouldnt start after that. cranked it over a few times and no go. let it sit for 15 mins, started but sputtered and wouldnt not hold an idle, attempted to baby it home andother 20 mins, but it died. pulled over and didnt do anything, my brother came and got it and we towed it home.

this morning, the battery was dead, so i let it trikle charge and she started right up, took her for a test drive and she died, no crank, no nothing, dead, pushed it home. took the alternator and the battery to napa and checked them, both failed, replaced both along with cap distrbutor, and plugs. they didnt have any wires and neither did checkers. put everything on. it CAN start, with the gas pedal 75% pushed down. will not idle, runs extremly rough. checked my timing and stuff and seems to be OK. called my gramps and hes not to sure either, so i turned to my next resource, you guys.

did i get water somewhere i shouldnt have?
am i being stupid and overlooking an easy fix?

PLEASE HELP!

any help or advice would be helpful.

im going to the store to pick up a few things. then ill be back.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
maybe check your ignitor? and also is this a 22r or RE...3vze? that would help a lil
Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the TPS and AFM, if either one got wet or sucked in some water it could be bad.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 PM

woops sorry, 22re.

and myyota, what could be bad? just the TPS and/or AFM or lots of more serious parts?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM

ba bumpppp.

i replaced alternator and battery as they got ruined, borrowing my brothers MAF, helped alittle, cracks over and you have to feather the gas and keep it that way to get it started,

i also replaced the plugs wires cap and rotor. its had a few days to air out, i was hoping thatd help it. but guess not.

weird thing is, when it sits over night, i come out and itll start one time, the first time, run with just a slight gas delay, maybe a second or two, but once i turn it off, it wont start backup again.

i tried searching about the TPS and AFM and found some stuff but i got pretty confused between all the nonsense threads and posts,

Last edited by AZkid; 01-24-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM

anything else i can check besides the AFM or TPS?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Not sure but..........my 87 22re.....18yro son tore it apart to do a blown head gasket....he pressure washed the intake.....throttle-body, TPS and all.......after reinstall it runs a little but everything but idle surges until you disconnect the connector for the TPS, then it runs smooth! tried adjusting it......makes not diff. not sure what the cause is, maybe water in TPS? try disconnecting the connector for grins and giggles and see if it changes anything. May not help but I FEEL BETTER!!!! lol
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM

well i actually just got on today to update that it is fixed, between everything i did, it works now.

plugs
cap
rotor
wired
battery
altenator
air filter
seafoam
cleaned the maf
cleaned the tps a bit
cleaned and checked all grounds

and now it works?
i'm not sure but i'm not going to argue it
thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 AM

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, my truck is from upstate NY (read that salt country). After all the work changing the headgasket we found that the coolant tube that goes behind the exhaust manifold had a rust hole and leaked like the proverbial sieve.
I located one at a local salvage yard and while waiting on the guy to get the part off, looked in the bed of the truck and saw the throttle body. I said "what the heck", borrowed a screwdriver and took it off. I got home, put it on AND THIS THING FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!! OMG I can't believe it! I also followed the example of a member on another thread and deleted all the vacuum JUNK going to the EGR and something that ran vacuum to the power steering pump(?????). All is well. Oh, I advanced the timing to the ragged-edge to get better performance and she runs great!!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM

well the problem struck again this morning around 1AM, said screw it, left the truck there, went to my brothers, slept, went and got it and drove it and limped it to the auto shop () turns out my injectors were filthy and they got wet and i foulded out two brand new plugs, had my timing reset and my injectors cleaned and stuff and put some new NGKs in her, and good to go now

so i think it was a combination between neverything, or either the injectors got wet the first time and they needed a few days to dry out completley.

in the end, i must say im happy, got her running and a lot of new parts and stuff so im set for a bit.

p.s. of course, as expected, the shope charged me and arm and a leg
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the hose on the bottom of the throttle body that goes down to the air regulator. If it is cracked, the intake can suck in air when not needed. They usually get hard a crack where it attaches to the throttle body.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
Check the hose on the bottom of the throttle body that goes down to the air regulator. If it is cracked, the intake can suck in air when not needed. They usually get hard a crack where it attaches to the throttle body.
ill give it a look in a few