Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 Pickup Engine Rebuild 22R

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Pickup Engine Rebuild 22R

Hey guys, sorry to bother you on this subject, as it probably has been asked a lot, but I really would like to see what your opinions are on this matter.

Our 87' is running on its last life, there is at least an inch of water in the oil, but we are not sure if it is a blown head gasket or if it has a cracked head as well. With the discount we were going to get from Jasper, they wanted $1800 for a engine. That is just way too much for what my dad is wanting to spend.

We have a buddy that is a mechanic and said he would help us rebuild the engine if we wanted too and I think my dad as come to the conclusion to rebuild it. We have not had a chance to check the head to actually see what the actual issue is, but we are hoping to get it pulled off very soon.

The engine needs to be rebuilt though, the bottom end has been rattling for quite a while. The engine has around 155,000 on it I think and we have already put a head gasket and had the head resurfaced when it blew a head gasket back in 91-92.

Anyways though, it is a 22R, are there any options out there that do not cost a lot more to give it some more power when rebuilding? Or are there any rebuild kits or rebuild sites that you guys could recommend that would be good to look at?

It might be that the engine is just wore out, but it just seems like it has just lost power and gets terrible fuel mileage. Everything is stock on it except tire size, carb, and clutch. We replaced the carb 4 years ago I think, clutch was replaced, but needs to be replaced again when we pull the engine, and the tire size is 31x10.50 R15's. We want be putting tires any bigger on it, but we also do not want to change the rear-end gears. The truck is mainly used as a farm truck now and throughout its life. Even though it has low miles, I guess the short driving and driving around on the farm has caused it to shorten its life, but who knows. I just hate when people say stuff like, gah, mine or I know somebody that has 300-400,000 miles on theirs and still runs good!

Sorry to get off point, but if anybody has any ideas on maybe on what to do in my situation, would be greatly appreciated. Like I have said previously, I am not looking for a speed demon, I was just wondering if there is anything out there that will not cost a ton, but give it some added performance. Maybe just the rebuild, will make it run much better??? Any websites or info would be good, because I am not really sure where to go about buying a rebuild kit for this thing anyways other than maybe Autozone or Advance.

I appreciate your time and answers!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyota parts are the only parts worth putting into the engine in my opinion. They just work and last better. You could save the money and buy something else and not worry about it also
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM

You'll find quite a few people who get parts from engnbldr.com As of a couple weeks ago, I put a new head & cam in the truck. For the gasket set and the head set, I probably spent around $750. You could easily get the head checked for $30, surfaced for $30. I would assume your bottom end would be in decent shape for 155k mi--provided that it was taken care of and hadn't overheated.

It was intimidating tearing into it, but I learned a lot and I suceeded. DEFINITELY read this site and search this site and do your homework. I spend at least as much time on here as I did doing the work.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 AM

thanks, i'll check that site out and try to do some searching.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 AM

There are a few folks selling decent engine kits on Ebay at a pretty reasonable price, all custom taylored to suit your needs. You can also get a simple RV cam to give it a little pep. I figured I could do a basic rebuild on mine for right around $400 (with new pistons and cam).
Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I blew a head gasket and rebuilt a 22RE for around $500. Had the head milled and block decked. Replaced all bearings, rings & seals, but no hard parts (at 150k everything was mic'd and within factory wear tolerance). You will probably want to install a new timing chain, gears, and guides as well.

If its a farm truck you probably don't need to be concerned with fuel mileage, and I can't tell if you said you "want to" put bigger tires on or you "won't be" putting bigger tires on. But bigger tires will definitely affect your fuel mileage and power.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I 2nd:
engnbldr.com

Bang for the buck is great. He goes to great lengths to sell quality parts at a very good price. IF the parts are not decent quality, he won't sell them.

Choose a mild cam, .5mm overstainless valves for a performance upgrade.

A solid rebuild will at around $700, inclusive of machine work. Expect to budget $700-$1000 for a rebuild that will last you 200k miles.

Skip on things like proper engine bore, turning or polishing the crank, and checking tolerances and it's likely you'll be doing a rebuild in a much shorter time span that you would otherwise.

Your front cover should be checked and your head pressure tested.