Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Pickup Dash Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Pickup Dash Speakers

Hello folk,
Just recently replaced my 87 stereo for a modern pioneer, and attempted to the replace the stock speakers for some Rockford Fosgate 4" speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P86T1U...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Just tried to install today and they don't fit, at all. The current speakers mount with two screw, one mounts perpendicular at the bottom outside of the enclosure and the other is the cocked at a 45 at the top inside of the enclosure.

Does anyone make a decent speaker that fits here or am I going to have to do some serious modification?

I've got a 1987 Pickup XtraCab with NO speakers in the back.

Let me know,
Thanks!
-Jackson
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM

I used the same speakers in my 92 pickup, i just cut a little off of some of the mounts on the speaker and they dropped right in. They sound great too!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM

Hmm, we might have different setups, I'll take some pictures.

I'm not so convinced it's a matter of "slight" modification.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
It is hard to define the meaning of slight !!!

To me a slight frame repair is building all new from the transmission cross member back
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Old 07-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 87 4runner, but the dash is the same. I use Alpine type R speakers in all of my vehicles. These are type S because they dont make a type R 4 inch. But they work and are bolt on and 40 bucks. Heres a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Type-S.../dp/B004TU5R1E
Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stuffed 4" Boston Acoustics into my 4Runner.
I had to trim the basket and bend one "ear"

There used to be some "direct fit" speakers that I had at one time - Pioneer if I recall.
I got those via Crutchfield.... in 1989.
(I got the 4Runner new - and it had no radio)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ewong
There used to be some "direct fit" speakers that I had at one time - Pioneer if I recall.
I got those via Crutchfield.... in 1989.
Think they were called a 4T speaker. Had to replace the ones in my 94 at one point and used those pioneers mentioned, long since discontinued I believe.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RcHId3K...-Speakers.html
Old 07-29-2016, 05:05 PM

The dash looks a little different but they mount the same way in my 92 with 2 screws opposite of each other. My problem was the oval shaped mounts on the speakers were hitting the plastic of the dash not letting the speakers sit flush so i just took my dremel and cut them off. And the mounting holes were off just a little so I drilled them out on the speaker slightly and they went in nice and snug.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Pretty sure those weren't going to fit, and I really didn't want to hack em up to confirm that theory. Found a pair of blown 6x9's on the side of the road later that day, here's what I came up with:

Decent little speakers, especially with a proper enclosure. Quite efficient given they're only getting 15w RMS.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM

I'm wondering if maybe these 3.5"s will fit up front:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P86SP2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by matt92yota
The dash looks a little different but they mount the same way in my 92 with 2 screws opposite of each other. My problem was the oval shaped mounts on the speakers were hitting the plastic of the dash not letting the speakers sit flush so i just took my dremel and cut them off. And the mounting holes were off just a little so I drilled them out on the speaker slightly and they went in nice and snug.
I had the same problem, however, the speaker wasn't even close to seating. The closest I could get me was maybe 3 inches.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 AM

You get it figured out?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:55 PM

I fit these in my 4Runner.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/TS-D1002R

They're only 25w, and I'm running 45w into them, so I don't crank it too loud.

I have the 5.25" in my rear side pockets, and the HVT sub under the seat.

They sound great. Not incredibly loud or bassy, but light years better than the original system.

I'm also using the DEH-80prs head with the auto sound levelizer which increases and decreases the volume with road noise.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Haven't tried any other speakers up front than the 4" Rockford Fosgate.

I have a suspicion that they're smaller (3.5" maybe).

For now I'm pretty satisfied with the enclosures in the back, but if I every get around to find some speakers for the dash I'll be sure to post my finding.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Foam bucket behind it." />Boston 4" jammed into the 4T location.
Foam bucket behind it.

Boston Cross Over

Dash tweeter. Yes, I drilled a hole for it.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by flagbasher
I fit these in my 4Runner.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/TS-D1002R

They're only 25w, and I'm running 45w into them, so I don't crank it too loud.

I have the 5.25" in my rear side pockets, and the HVT sub under the seat.

They sound great. Not incredibly loud or bassy, but light years better than the original system.

I'm also using the DEH-80prs head with the auto sound levelizer which increases and decreases the volume with road noise.
I have these speakers in my truck (with stock head unit) and really like them. I do not turn the sound up very often but they have a much wider range of frequencies than the stock speaker. Not a lot of bass but a 4" speaker can only do so much. These speakers have the right balance of sound for me.

They are a tight fit but they DO fit without any modification to the dash. All I had to do is bend one of the "ears" on the speaker to mach the angled speaker mount. Then I cut off the two unused "ears" so the speaker fits better.

Last edited by old87yota; 08-03-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Adding Photo
Old 08-03-2016, 07:52 PM

Those are sweet. I drove around for the longest time with just the little dash speakers and a 10" sub in the back. For whatever reason I kept blowing the 6x9s I had in little boxes on the back floor board not sure if ppl getting in and out or just cause I drove around with the top off anytime it wasn't raining so dust/dirt gets everywhere! Eventually wanna redo my interior panels with a spot for the speakers and some storage compartments but it's pretty low on the list for now!

Great info tho always wondered what speakers where in there, they are tiny!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys! I'll definitely consider those Pioneers. I can certainly foresee them fitting with the bendable/breakable metal tangs.

Unfortunately my head unit only puts out 15w RMS per channel, so they'd probably sounds pretty underpowered.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I have these speakers in my truck (with stock head unit) and really like them. I do not turn the sound up very often but they have a much wider range of frequencies than the stock speaker. Not a lot of bass but a 4" speaker can only do so much. These speakers have the right balance of sound for me.

They are a tight fit but they DO fit without any modification to the dash. All I had to do is bend one of the "ears" on the speaker to mach the angled speaker mount. Then I cut off the two unused "ears" so the speaker fits better.

I didn't even cut the tabs off. They just fit.

Like the guy above you, I've got the foam baffles behind them, too.

I put the 5 1/4" in the rear seat pockets. Much better.
87 Pickup Dash Speakers-9g5xrknl.jpg

87 Pickup Dash Speakers-t9uwn0kl.jpg

Originally Posted by sweitzerworks
Thanks for the info guys! I'll definitely consider those Pioneers. I can certainly foresee them fitting with the bendable/breakable metal tangs.

Unfortunately my head unit only puts out 15w RMS per channel, so they'd probably sounds pretty underpowered.
I was able to fit this guy on the bottom of my Pioneer head unit. Both the head unit and amp are powered by the stock harness.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-D1004

I used industrial velcro. 3M dual lock to stick it to the bottom of the head unit. They're the same width.

I had to move some of the wiring harnesses around to jam the head unit into place since it's way deeper than the stock radio, I guess. But I got it all to fit. Very tight, but do-able.

45w per channel. 4 channels.

I also ran their HVT sub and used 3/4" spacers under my seat bolts in the back to fit it under my seat. I had to wire the sub to the battery. Power went right through the hood pop grommet.

Quick Reply: 87 Pickup Dash Speakers