Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4WD truck with 22R stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha good call 2wd buddy. Have you had any luck finding a 5 speed to drop in? My clutch burned out almost completely so I'm in the process of dropping the transmission, hopefully I'll be able to find a 5 speed at the junk yard or the 4 speed stays, with a new clutch.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Factor
haha good call 2wd buddy. Have you had any luck finding a 5 speed to drop in? My clutch burned out almost completely so I'm in the process of dropping the transmission, hopefully I'll be able to find a 5 speed at the junk yard or the 4 speed stays, with a new clutch.
No luck yet! Gonna hold off on it for now since my 4spd still shifts firmly and smoothly. There's nothing really wrong with it aside from the lack of a 5th gear and I figure I can survive getting passed by grandma's on the highway for a little while (until my clutch dies and I think it's been replaced before). Once I get 'er back on the road I'm thinking about a nice cross-continent road-trip to California. I figure if I do the "shipping" the MC 5spd W55 becomes much more affordable. Of course that doesn't rule out finding one up here if I can locate one in good condition. Check late 80s Supras with the inline 6cyl (iirc) if you're having trouble finding a tranny out of a truck/4runner, they have a good W-series 5spd that I think just needs a bellhousing swap to bolt up.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Fuel Cut Solenoid Cure

As others have posted regarding poor running 22Rs ,mine for months ran bad and got lossy milage. After rebuilding both carb and distributer to no avail I discovered the fuel stop solenoid was not getting juice for some reason. I took the pragmatic approach to solve my truck running blues. I removed solenoid from carb. clamped the electrical end in the vise and hacked sawed it in half behind the hex, leaving the hex attached to the front half of solenoid to use as intended for purposes of assembly/disassembly back into the carb. Next I extracted the piston/needle stop valve from front of sawed off half and cut back needle portion 1/4 inch or so and epoxyed piston back in place. Thats it! Back in carb I reset my idle mix screw to 1/2 turn out from being fully in and throttle stop screw to 3 and 5/8 ( original specs for my 83 ) truck now runs like peaches and cream. Also no signs of dieseling .
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ebin
Befuddled:

Truck cranks up fine when cold, fast idles great. When motor warms up it lopes when idling. Has good throttle response when parked, no missing at all. Put truck in gear, give it gas, runs great...until you come to a stop and the engine stalls. Truck will not recrank unless you turn up the idle screw way up.

Timing checked OK
Plugs cleaned and wires checked OK
Choke heater checked OK
All vacuum lines triple checked OK
Dist cap and rotor replaced.
......i had the same problem with my truck it took forever after trying everything it was a temp coolant switch...