86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner Maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
87 4Runner Maintenance.

Ok, first question - who decided that the side of the engine block under the intake would be a great place to mount a fuel filter?!? When I pull the motor for rebuild I'm DEFINITELY relocating that sucker.

So, I've been having some issues with rough running for a little while and I figured while I was changing the oil today I'd swap that thing too.

I took her around the block afterwards for a leak check and it seems to be running much smoother. Stage II of this is going to be sending my injectors off for cleaning/reconditioning, but I have to finish the CB install in my SD first before I can sit the 4Runner for a bit.

And I ALMOST got my sunroof sealed. I think a little more silicone'll do the trick. I'd know for sure but the only day it's rained since my initial attempt I left all my windows down in the 4Runner. Pretty sweet, hahaha
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Well, with some more driving since the fuel filter change it's definitely better but not totally cured.

I think with clean, reconditioned injectors (Stage II of this process) it'll really help out.

I am going to put one more timing chain in this motor just for general maintenance. We'll see if part of my rough running is timing chain related there. I'm not too worried about this motor as I'll be rebuilding it pretty soon.

Stage III is a new EMS. I'm going with something in the MegaSquirt family and am really leaning toward the MicroSquirt. We'll see, I'm still in research and decision mode right now.

Stage IV is a rebuilt drivetrain. Starting with the engine and trans, then the TC, then the rear end, then the front end (I think I'm gonna keep IFS for now). Everything is going to be rebuilt to stock tolerances. All bearings and wearing parts will be replaced.

Stage V is rewiring the entire truck. The way it should have been. No more BS rear window interlocks, etc.

Stage VI is frame corrosion removal and prevention. I'm gonna pull the body off and wire wheel and POR 15 the whole thing. Bare metal meets corrosion prevention.

Stage VII is body panel corrosion removal / replacement / repainting. I figure I'll invest in some of those fiberglass body panels.

Stage VIII is interior reworkings. All new panels, not sure what I want to do with carpet vs. bedliner, etc.

I think that'll just about take care of it. I'll figure it out any other details along the way.

Guess I oughta start a build thread, hahahaha!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
"Guess I oughta start a build thread, hahahaha!"

hahaha, ...I GUESS!

Dang, man...you're going to town! Subscribed, and hoping to learn yet another few hundred things while watchin ya! lol.

Best wishes, ...and anything you'd like me to check or take pics of on mine, let me know, k?

Mark
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM

I should add this is going to take place over a couple of years. A little work here and there where I can, following this general order.

Taking my time with it, DeathCougar style
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CamTom12
I should add this is going to take place over a couple of years. A little work here and there where I can, following this general order.

Taking my time with it, DeathCougar style

Kiyobrown hits "like" button.