Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 22re will crank but not start :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 22re will crank but not start :(

Ok soooo....I am not a mechanic by any means but I understand how most things work, I've even worked in a tire shop for 3 years.˟

Ive dOne all sorts of little stuff to my baby but now I believe I am in way over my head. I recently found oil in my antifreeze and not just a little, it was a decent amount, when I was changing the thermostat because she was acting funny so I tried to start simple. I was told by many to do the head gasket. So I did. It took me a while but after it was all done I had less than a dozen bolt leftover lol and she ran like a champ for 3 days. Then I took her for a ride and she started to overheat so I pulled over. She didn't get to the red area but she lost power and died. I let her cool down an then she wouldn't start anymore. I had a buddy of mine use a mirror down the cylinders and he said it looked ok. He also did a compression test and came up with 25lbs in each cylinder.˟

My question is: what's next? So far in the last year she has a new battery, new master brake cylinder, new water pump, new timing chain and tensioners, new oil pan gasket, new head gasket and intake/exhaust manifold gaskets and a new thermostat. All done by me. Did I mess something up?˟(also a new clutch from a shop)
08-04-2012, 08:46 AM ˟ #6 (permalink)
habanero
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
˟

˟

Taking on a job like that isn't messing stuff up, it just gets chalked up to a learning experience.
Oh, and...
Quote:
after it was all done I had less than a dozen bolt leftover

Because we're now out of my inexpertise I can't help much. It sounds like you've got a deja vu, but again, like you I am still having learning experiences daily.

Wonder if the thread title could get changed to indicate help needed so it doesn't get skipped over by the people who can actually do you some sort of good?

'99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...thread-201751/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Habanero - you ride a Gary Fisher, you change your own oil, AND you have a man-eating pumpkin pie as your avatar. You are anything BUT a soccer mom.
˟
08-04-2012, 09:45 AM ˟ #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompachick24
I was told by many to do the head gasket. So I did. It took me a while but after it was all done I had less than a dozen bolt leftover lol and she ran like a champ for 3 days. Then I took her for a ride and she started to overheat so I pulled over. She didn't get to the red area but she lost power and died. I let her cool down an then she wouldn't start anymore. I had a buddy of mine use a mirror down the cylinders and he said it looked ok. He also did a compression test and came up with 25lbs in each cylinder.
My question is: what's next?
Oompa, check the timing first off. If the timing goes you can get real strange compression numbers. Bolts left over could be a problem depending on the bolt and it's function.
Did you have the head checked by a machine shop and resurfaced when you did the head gasket? Where did you source your head gasket parts?

There are lots of rebuild threads around here that will help you too.

FSMs TSBs
P/N & diagrams (source for OEM parts on east coast)
PNW OEM Parts source - Titus-Will, Tacoma, WA
˟
08-04-2012, 09:06 PM ˟ #11 (permalink)
Oompachick24
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
[OP]
˟

˟

I just checked and redid the timing two days ago and still won't start

I did have the head resurfaced when I took it apart and the gaskets are from Oreillys and autozone.

When I turn the key it'll crank over but won't catch.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Since you've already done the head gasket, if you're still getting oil in the coolant it's probably the timing chain has broken the guides and worn through the timing cover. If the timing chain has skipped a tooth DO NOT TRY TO TURN THE ENGINE OVER! The 22RE is an interferance style engine and you can destroy the valves. Engnbldr has a good timing set at a good price that includes the chain, sprokets, tensioner, and gaskets with the option of steel guides. LCE also has a dual row timing conversion set which is pricey, but I've heard nothing but good about it. The LCE set includes a new timing cover, water pump and oil pump along with everything else, I didn't need that when I did mine so I went with the EB set. If you need new water and oil pumps definately go with the dual row conversion. If your timing chain cover is worn through you need a new one anyways so go with the LCE dual row set.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Also when you do any kind of rebuild bag and tag all of your nuts and bolts or screw them back into their place after you've removed what they're holding down. You shouldn't end up with any extra pieces that way. Leftover nuts and bolts are not a good thing to have.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM

I would suspect you may have already damaged your valves considering the low ammount of compression that you have. It would be interesting to see the results of a leak down test.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finding oil in the coolant, but not coolant in the oil is rare... not impossible but rare. And you didn't mention the latter situation so....

With 25 psi compression readings, damage may have been done... that is unless you forgot to open the throttle completely when taking the readings. That's a common mistake people unfamiliar with that test make.

Short of tearing it apart again, leakdown testing will point you at the problem area" bubbles in the coolant points at either blown head gasket between the cylinder and a water jacket, or crack in the head or block; hissing noise in the intake or exhaust points at a valve issue; hissing noise heard in the crankcase suggests damaged rings, cylinder walls or even pistons.

It would be interesting to see the left-over bolts, although at this point that would be purely academic in nature. But that may help us point you in the direction of the failure.

As mentioned, the 22re is an interference engine, which means pistons will hit valves if the cam chain breaks or skips teeth: if the compression reading is due to the cam chain skipping, the valves are bent.