86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 22re oil pump questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 22re oil pump questions...

Currently doing a timing chain job on my 87 22re and when i pulled the oil pump off the two ring gears were just hanging there on the crankshaft sooo i kinda need some input on how that thing goes back together. Is there a certain way the two gears have to be lined up?? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM

No, but make sure they are in the same orientation. The dots on the gears need to be facing towards the engine. Make sure the oil pump is free of any dirt, grime, or debris.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by stanprophet
No, but make sure they are in the same orientation. The dots on the gears need to be facing towards the engine. Make sure the oil pump is free of any dirt, grime, or debris.
ok so there are dots on both oil pump gears and the need to be facing the engine? correct?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 87runner89
ok so there are dots on both oil pump gears and the need to be facing the engine? correct?

Yes.

When the oil pump is laying seal down, and you are putting the gears back in, the dots should be facing you, when bolted down they would be facing the timing cover/engine.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM

Yes.

When the oil pump is laying seal down, and you are putting the gears back in, the dots should be facing you, when bolted down they would be facing the timing cover/engine.
Im getting my parts from engnblder.com..i seen on the bigger ring gear there was an arrow on it..
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM

That is even easier, the gears will be set in the pump, and it will be coved in a piece of plastic. You basically pull the cap off and bolt the pump on, it is really as simple as that. put the pump on the cover before you put the cover in the engine.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM

That is even easier, the gears will be set in the pump, and it will be coved in a piece of plastic. You basically pull the cap off and bolt the pump on, it is really as simple as that. put the pump on the cover before you put the cover in the engine.
Okay sounds great! How does that oil pump work anyway? Is there something else that feeds it or?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Yes, there is 2 holes in the block, these holes go through the timing cover into the oil pump housing. One hole goes strait to the oil pick-up, this is the suction side. The pump then pressurises the oil, it is sent down the other oil passage to the oil filter.

So as you can see the timing cover gasket plays an important role here, it not only holds the pressure of the oil back, it also holds coolant under pressure from leaking into the oil pan.

Also keep in mind the oil pump Oring is holding back the oil pressure also, it is critical that the ring be in correctly and not pinched. This makes sure you do not develop a pressure leak later down the road. This is one reason it is better to put the pump on the timing cover when it is off the engine. It allows you to lay the cover flat, and put the O Ring into the groove, then put the pump on. It makes it pretty foolproof. The kit you are getting will have an extra oil pump seal, oil pump o-ring, and water pump gasket. Save them just in case you ever need them. But the oil pump will already have a seal in it. Use some dielectric grease on the crank pulley where it rides in the seal, and on the distributor O ring. It will lubricate them, and keep them from being damaged on install, and on the initial dry start up.

If you look at the oil pump there is a screw or bolt on the side of it. Under this bolt there is a spring and plunger, this is what sets the pressure of the oil. The spring is set at a predetermined pressure, it will open the plunger and relieve the pressure. Back then I use to build V8 engines I used to buy normal oil pumps and blueprint them. Verify all the clearances, and then shim the pressure relief springs to gain more pressure. Something you do not want to do on this engine but it is cool to understand how these things work.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Yes, there is 2 holes in the block, these holes go through the timing cover into the oil pump housing. One hole goes strait to the oil pick-up, this is the suction side. The pump then pressurises the oil, it is sent down the other oil passage to the oil filter.

So as you can see the timing cover gasket plays an important role here, it not only holds the pressure of the oil back, it also holds coolant under pressure from leaking into the oil pan.

Also keep in mind the oil pump Oring is holding back the oil pressure also, it is critical that the ring be in correctly and not pinched. This makes sure you do not develop a pressure leak later down the road. This is one reason it is better to put the pump on the timing cover when it is off the engine. It allows you to lay the cover flat, and put the O Ring into the groove, then put the pump on. It makes it pretty foolproof. The kit you are getting will have an extra oil pump seal, oil pump o-ring, and water pump gasket. Save them just in case you ever need them. But the oil pump will already have a seal in it. Use some dielectric grease on the crank pulley where it rides in the seal, and on the distributor O ring. It will lubricate them, and keep them from being damaged on install, and on the initial dry start up.

If you look at the oil pump there is a screw or bolt on the side of it. Under this bolt there is a spring and plunger, this is what sets the pressure of the oil. The spring is set at a predetermined pressure, it will open the plunger and relieve the pressure. Back then I use to build V8 engines I used to buy normal oil pumps and blueprint them. Verify all the clearances, and then shim the pressure relief springs to gain more pressure. Something you do not want to do on this engine but it is cool to understand how these things work.
Alright awesome thanks for all the good info! Ill post more pics when my parts arrive..
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just don`t forget to prime the pump
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM

speaking of priming or "packing" the oil pump,....whats the preferred method, Vaseline?, white lithium grease? smack a gob in with gloved hand? grease gun?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The several I have done I used the Lucas Oil additive .

If it was one that might not get started for several days weeks etc I would use use a Moly grease making sure first it did not have a adverse reaction with engine oil.

Over the years I have seen strange things happen.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Is there any way a guy can tell if he really needs a new oil pump? Any way u can test the oil pressure?? Contemplating weather or not to put a new one on..
Old 05-29-2013, 03:09 PM

i know you can plumb a gauge in where the sending unit for the dummy light is (right below oil filter) but the gauge will probably cost as much as a new oil pump lol, does your dummy light stay on for a while upon start up?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Killgore Trout
i know you can plumb a gauge in where the sending unit for the dummy light is (right below oil filter) but the gauge will probably cost as much as a new oil pump lol, does your dummy light stay on for a while upon start up?
Ahhh. I just ordered a new pump anyway haha
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Has anyone ever used the melling oil pump on their 22re?? Thats what kind of oil pump i ordered..