Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 toyota pickup won't start

Old 02-17-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 toyota pickup won't start

My dad bought an '86 Toyota pickup with a 22R engine in it. He drove it for more than 20 years, then stopped suddenly one day when someone saw what looked like metal shavings under the truck. a friend of his told him it was the water pump and that was all she wrote.

Fast forward 5 years to me graduating college and wanting something to do, so taking a truck that hasn't even been cranked in 5 years and seeing if it will run seemed like a good project..... this was last March.

here are the symptoms as I can tell. the fuel pump is working (disconnecting the pump from the carb and turning over the engine sprays fuel out). I replaced the fuel filter. The gas level in the chamber is about middle of the sight glass. I drained out the old gas, put new gas in. the Spark plugs spark (blue). the idle cut solenoid clicks when power is applied. I have taken the carb apart, sprayed it all down with carb cleaner, replaced the gaskets, and put it back together. last but not least, took the plug off the idle mixture screw and readjusted it to 3.5 turns from all the way in (as per the FSM)

the only way the engine will run is if fuel is poured directly into the Carb, when the fuel runs out in the carb, the engine stops. I dug through 925 threads, and found 2 that were similar.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...issues-240245/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-fuel-262108/

The second thread is probably most similar, but falls through as even after cleaning and replacing various parts off the carb, the truck still won't run without prompting (The float needle valve shouldn't be sticking at this point)

any advice on what the next step should be would be greatly appreciated. Personally, I'm thinking take compressed air to the fuel lines and make sure there isn't any kind of clogging in them. (seems redundant since the fuel pump squirts when you crank the engine.)

sorry that this is my first post, but after working on it on and off for a year, I need more help than my friend who works on non-carb cars.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 AM

If it won't run without gas being poured into it, it is fuel associated. The carb is the problem if the site glass is half full. However, sitting 5 years does cause problems with the fuel pump. Fuel filter, fuel pump, carb. When you push on the throttle linkage, does gas go into the carb? Look into the top of the carb when you do this. Can you see fuel shoot into the carb? If not, your carb pump gasket is probably no good. If the gasket is new, I would look at the solenoid again.

Having said all that the choke needs to be working. One way to check is to hold your hand over the top of the carb just a smidge while some else starts the truck. If the choke is no good, it will start. The choke is electric and can't be adjusted.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 AM

yes, when you push the throttle, gas goes into the carb. I'll get out the multimeter when I get home from work to check resistance on the automatic choke (supposed to be between 19 and 23 ohms at 68F). I'll also probably end up double checking to make sure the vaccum tubes are connected correctly (reference pg ec-17 in the FSM, pg 118 in the PDF I have) I'll also check the outer vent control valve (pg ec-23 in the FSM, 123 in the pdf) and make sure the resistane in 63-73 ohms. If none of that throws up flags, I'll probably see if the fuel lines are dry (i know, it doesn't seem like they would be if the fuel pump is pumping out fuel, but hey, I'm spitballing ideas here)

yes some of that is for my own reference later so that I don't forget what to do, or where to double check it at.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM

ok, took the ohm meter out there. choke read 24.5 ohms ( a little high) and vent control valve read 83.6 (high as well) also know the choke heater coil in the choke is working as I watched it open as the truck ran for a few mins, again when I poured gas in.

checked resistance on another Aisan carb I have, and they fit more in line with where they are supposed to be. I may be swapping carbs to see if that does anything.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM

swapping carbs didn't do anything new, so orignial is back on.

went out yesterday and took the needle valve apart, made sure it wasn't clogger, put it all back together, ran a line from the (new) fuel pump to a gas can, and it started, and ran until I hit the gas to rev the engine, at which point when I released the gas, the engine died. checked the acceleration pump on the carb, it's just pumping air, so my question now is this, Since the acceleration pump was new, I know it's not bad (it was put on last year) I will believe that it's doesn't have any gas in it though. so to prime it, do I just keep manually pumping it till gas comes out, or do I need to take the carb off the truck, disassemble the acceleration pump, and pour a little gas in the depression and put it back together? The FSM says nothing about this, and I really have no clue.

I apparently pumped all the fuel out at some point, as there was a point in the last couple months when the acceleration pump did have fuel in it, but the carb has been off and back on the truck a few times, and I'm sure that I hit that pump on more than one occasion when putting things back together.