86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Toyota Motorhome w/22RE making some undiagnosed sounds under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Toyota Motorhome w/22RE making some undiagnosed sounds under the hood

I have an 86 motorhome with a 22re that has some nerve racking noises going on. The engine was running great, traveled 3500 miles last summer. During this previous winter in northwestern washington, the motorhome was started regularly and fuel stabilizer added, however during a 3 week period while I was away traveling the engine didnt get started. When I came back the noise began....

The Noise: The truck starts and runs fine, with the exception of a little fan clutch knocking til it gets warm. When the engine gets reved up though a terrible "squawking" noise begins. I cannot pin point where it is coming from, nor can a couple of mechanic friends that had checked it out.

I dont know what RPMs exactly it begins at, but probably somewhere around 3500. I cant describe the sounds anymore than just a squawking semi high pitched sound. It almost staggers or lulls while being held at a consistent rpm. Now that it is cold again the noises persists at idle occasionally as well.

I have been starting it regularly, and like I said the engine runs and idles fine, its just when I give it some gas that the sound kicks in. I drove it a few miles without any problem, other than the listening to the god awful noise when I got up to a certain rpm. I just took it slow, and made it from point a to point b. I am hoping that you all may have some ideas, or have heard similar situations. I am looking for any help possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and giving any feedback.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Not to be a jerk but your sure it's not the fan belts? I'm sure you've checked such a easy thing. My old runners belts looked good and felt good but would squeal. turned out to be a loose pulley on the water pump
Old 12-02-2014, 09:22 PM

I would bet its a pully. Get a mechanics stethoscope and have it make the noise and touch the center bolt on the pulleys you can to narrow it down. Just my .02.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The idler pulleys will start locking up when they get worn out and start making the belt squeal. Simple to check, just loosen the belts and check the bearings by turning the idler by hand.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would suspect belt or the pulleys.

Youtube video...

My Power Steering Pulley is a little noisey so thought I would show how to replace the bearing. I used PN# 204-FF.

Then I removed the nut and the pulley. On the backside there is a wire clip that holds the bearing to the pulley. Remove it,
then I used a 3/4 inch socket and drove it out over a vice.

I put a little oil in side the pulley and used the vice and slowly worked it back in most of the way. Once it is flush with
the pulley I used another socket to finish getting it all the way in so as the wire clip would seat.

Here it is all cleaned and painted. The bearing was $22. Toyota wants to sell the whole assembly. I was unable to
find just the pulley. Hope this helps someone.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the feedback on my engine issue. I have recorded a short video and put it on youtube. Might help narrow down some of the questions about my description. Thanks again for all the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMIe...ature=youtu.be

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMIe...ature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Sounds "tinny" to me so I don't think it's internal. Still think it could be a idler pulley.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Yeah the video displays the noise a lot better than I could ever describe. The noise is really weird in the way that is is difficult to place where its coming from. You can stick your head down in the rear of the engine and it actually sounds like its further in the transmission, but towards the front it sounds like it is underneath in the bottom end, but standing back it is just a loud higher pitched metal on metal, "tinny" works, I will check on the idler pulley, would that explain why it doesnt do it at idle? Or occasionally at idle when it is cold out or rainy? How about running it if it is the idler, will I do any further damage? More a parking lot fix it where it lies, or could it be moved to a more comfortable location? Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 AM

As long as you don't run it long you're fine. Remove the belts that have idler pulleys then crank it up. I actually had a noise I thought was an idler pulley but when I removed the belts it was still there. Turned out to be a loose balancer due to the bolt backing out.