Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Pickup Sporadically Loses All Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 AM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
86 Pickup Sporadically Loses All Power

I have an 86 Pickup with a 22r motor. Excellent condition older truck. 150k miles. Out of the blue every 2 or 3 weeks I'll be driving along at 60mph or so and the truck will suddenly start hesitating as if it's losing its gas supply or something. It will become less and responsive, slow down and increasingly lose power until I have no choice but to pull over to the side of the road and the truck will stall out. I can restart the truck and get going again but it will only last for a moment and stall back out. The only solution is to let the truck sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then try again and everything is then cleared away and the truck goes great again.

It is not the fuel filter, that I know. I've changed it many times and it's always perfectly clean everytime I check it. This seemed to be the most obvious thing to first check but it's for sure not the problem.

Oil has always been changed and is regularly checked. Air filter, plugs, plug wires and cap + rotor are in order.

What do you think could be the problem here? The fact that the problem totally clears away after letting the truck sit for a few moments should be a clue. But I'm not sure of what.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
It is completely Random ??

Or it seems to happen only when your cruising along at 60 mph.

It does not shut off at random times in town at a stop sign ??

I would look at the Circuit opening relay coil gets hot and drops out

It could be the Ignition coil and igniter getting hot as well
Old 06-04-2016, 11:03 AM
irv

Never has happened while sitting at a stop sign or at low speeds. It's only ever happened while I'm cruising along at regular speeds of + or - 60 mph. Sitting on the side of the road and waiting for 5 to 10 minutes cures it. Then typically won't reappear for a couple more weeks. It's infrequent, but happens enough that it's an issue. It's been happening since shortly after I bought the truck a year ago. It does seem to be completely random. It's happened in the dead of winter here in Maine when it's below freezing and it's also happening now in June when it's 80 degrees out.

Last edited by irv; 06-04-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:31 AM

Intermittent problems are so much fun!!

It seems like you have a loose connection that is effected by the vibration created by driving that speed .

Fuel problems would be likely to occur more often not going weeks without a failure

Do you notice any electrical glitches while this is happening ??

Like the charge light coming on Before the truck starts to die ?

Voltmeter showing a discharge??

Does it happen night or day
Old 06-05-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump overheating and cutting out maybe? Do u notice if it happens more often when the tank is closer to empty? Since there submerged in the fuel, the fuel helps with cooling, once the fuel level drops below the pump, it may heat up enough to start jamming up/slowing down which could be causing the car to slowly loose power and stall. But once left for 10 mins it cools down enough for u to continue on ur merry way

Just a thought...

Last edited by Turtl3; 06-05-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:15 AM

22R if the OP listed correct has the mechanical pump driven off the Cam shaft bolted to the right side of the head

I thought Vapor lock but it does it in Maine Winters !!

Needle valve sticking in the Carb allowing to much gas plugs dry off after a few minutes
Old 06-05-2016, 08:01 AM
irv

Yup 22r so it's got the mechanical pump!

I've had a lot of people suggest the coil and igniter. So maybe I'll swap those out. Can these parts still be found new or will this be an ebay or junkyard item?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM

I think Napa sells a igniter I think you want to go used cost is like $395.00

I know I have a coil and igniter if I can find it.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM
irv

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Intermittent problems are so much fun!!

It seems like you have a loose connection that is effected by the vibration created by driving that speed .

Fuel problems would be likely to occur more often not going weeks without a failure

Do you notice any electrical glitches while this is happening ??

Like the charge light coming on Before the truck starts to die ?

Voltmeter showing a discharge??

Does it happen night or day
I believe it has happened both day and night. No I haven't noticed any unusal happening on the dashboard. I've kept that in mind too because in the past I've had an alternator go bad and the battery light would come on as the truck started to die. Don't have a voltmeter though. Just have the real simple dash with no tach. Just gas guage, temp guage and speedometer.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 AM

So does it take a lot of cranking to get it restarted? If it was running out of fuel you would think that would be the case. Doesn't the carb have a sight glass to verify fuel level, if so you could check that to verify the bowl has fuel.

You could carry an extra spark plug and next time it happens check for spark within that 10 minute window - you might have to act quickly.

Search "1986 toyota pickup oem igniter" on Ebay and quite a few OEM igniters at a reasonable price. I think the OEM coil from Toyota is also still available, and is not ridiculously priced.

Weak spark will present as engine will idle, but not rev correctly or at all as the spark is to weak to ignite the richer mixture.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Had similar issue with my 87 4Runner, 22RE. Turned out to be a bad ground connection at the ICM. The ICM grounds through the two screws that attach it atop the ignition coil. If one or both of these is not making good contact, engine will die like it's not getting fuel. Both screws on mine were pretty rusty and crusty. Used my Dremel tool w/wire wheel to clean up the screws, and problem solved.