86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Pickup Factory trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup Factory trailer wiring

Hello all, I'm in the process of restoring a 86 pickup and have had some problems with correcting the factory trailer wiring harness. The PO made a huge mess of it, cutting it off where it originally connected and splicing it in to the wires in the loom using vampire taps. Basically the end of the factory connection and the end of the trailer wiring harness don't exactly match up. If anyone could provide any information on how they're supposed to connect, I would be extremely grateful!

Here is where I assume the factory wiring harness is hooked into the driver's side tail light. The wires coming out of the plug and going down to the right in the picture are where I assume the wiring harness should connect.

In this picture the wires on the left are the ones coming from the tail light, and the ones on the right are the ones going to the factory trailer harness. I assume the colors simply match up, but what I'm not sure about is where the light blue wire should connect (which connects to the reverse light at the tail light) and where the white ground wire should connect.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by ToyoToler; 02-14-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what year is it 86 or 96 ?/

Is your converter box still there?? Needed to work with a 4 pin trailer light plug.

This is for 86 pick up

Green/White stripe is the Brake light

red/black stripe is the back up lights

Tail lights are Green

Green /Black stripe is the left turn signal

Green /yellow is the right turn signal

White/Black stripe is the ground wire .

Good luck
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops sorry, little typo there! It's an 86.

The converter box with the 4 pin plug is still there. These wires are before the converter box.

Ok, thanks, that helps. But do you know if these wires coming off the drivers tail light plug are supposed to go to the trailer harness? They were simply hanging down under the truck unattached to anything so I assumed that they must. All the needed connections are there, with a separate green wiring coming from the passenger turn signal. I'm just not sure where the light blue reverse wire should hook up to the trailer harness.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am not near my truck now and don't recognize the blue wire right off. Can you just connect it back to the way the factory had it? I use these kits and no issues.

Copied...
I got my tail light conversion kit, still need to get it installed and need a drop hitch. I do a lot of pulling. Its PN# 43315. I get mine at Oriellys.
Name:  taillightconversion.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 02-15-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The back up lights don`t go to the trailer plug.

If you want back up lights on the trailer you intend to pull or electric brakes just hard wires a 7 pin plug

really these converter boxes area pain and can cause all sorts of light problems.

Most trailers have the tail light brake light and turn signal all in one light since Toyota turn signals are separate you need the converter box.

I just add a light for the turn signal and be done.

It all comes down to what you want.

It could be the converter box has failed then was wired like it was the .

The right turn signal would be picked up on the right side could be where the wire is coming from.