86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 p/u 22r te won't rev over 2,000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 p/u 22r te won't rev over 2,000 rpm

HELP! I have replaced and adjusted everything on this truck. short of the block,pistons and crank. it has new ECM, fuel pump,injectors, TPS, AFM, PCV, pressure reg., pluse valve, fuel filter, head,head gasket, vaccum lines, ex. manifold, distirbutor,cap,wires, plugs, rotor...you name it I have replaced it. and still,it will not run over 2,000 rpm. I've even had a shop try to fix it .they could not figure it out. Only thing that helps is if I put a cap full of fuel, carb. cleaner or anything else right in the throttle body. And then it will rev up a few times till it uses the extra fuel up then back to under 2,000 rpm. i have even tried blowing the fuel lines out. someone please tell me what is wrong with this little truck! I have completely restored it ! looks great. but I can't drive the thing!Oh yeah! this maybe important, the truck sat for about seven years without running it had fresh motor and tranny. I bought a new Harley and just kinda quit driving it..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
checked your catalytic converter?
camshaft is timed properly and valves are adjusted correctly?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
everthing I think to suggest, you've listed as replaced!

bro that's wierd...

double checked for pinched fuel lines?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

check for leaks between the throttle body, turbo and air flow meter as well.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM

I have checked for leaks. I have loosened the tail pipe just ahead of the cc. I do have a small ex manifold leak. and the timing well i can't see the crank other than the pully mark and when i try to time it it wont run at 5 degress btd. it want to be advanced . I tried moving the cam gear one tooth eather way but really could till.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

why would it run right only when I add fuel to throttle body. i've tried adjusting the AFM. it helps some but trubo kicks in to soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

I have spent many a hour looking for a leak or something that would keep it from drawing enough air through theAFM to make the ECM give it more fuel. If I turn thr throttle and the AFM needle atthe same time by hand it will rev up.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Man, I am so damn close and I can't get passed this! i am almost sure it just isn't getting enough fuel. but for the life of me I can't figure out why. everything I try ... I'm out of ideas. i've had this little truck forever and would rather have and drive it as a new one.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Check your fuel pressure, and check your fuel filter. You may also have varnish in the fuel rail or something that is preventing the injectors from saturating.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM

did you check to see if there was anything under the gas pedal? lol just kidding. hmm when did this problem arise? does it idle low or struggle to start? give us more symptoms. what does it sound like? does it shake and vibrate? have you double checked throttle linkage? we need more info.. maybe try doing a compression test.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM

it hasn't ran right sense it sat for so long. Ive poared sea foam, injector cleaner through the rail , blown air through the rail. it seemed to ran a little better afterward but goes right back to only rev to 2,000 rpm.if my timing is off (advanced about 7 degress) do I move the cam sprocket clockwise or counter clockwise to correct it? the motor starts fine, idles smooth revs up to 2,000 rpm and then its like theres not enough fuel. it starts missing, bogging down. and if you back off the throttle to around 2,000 it smooths out again.it has brand new fuel filter and ive run about 50 gals. of berrymans through it.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 AM

i'm a motorcycle mach. by trade, so i have a little savey about what gas does to a fuel system. and i really feel thats where the problem is. maybe replace all fuel lines? I'll make up a fuel pressure gauge to hook up to the cold start injector and let you know whats up there...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 AM

you don't move the cam sprocket at all to adjust the timing. you rotate the distributor.
stock timing should be 5BTDC with the diagnostic mode enabled.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM

i was thinking it may be off a tooth. i'vf moved the distributor and i can't get it to ran less than 7 degrss advanced
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears you have a severe lean fuel problem. Fuel pressure at the engine should be checked first. If good then it could be fuel volume delivery issue. Fuel pump or crap in the tank is suspect then, inspect every inch of the hard fuel lines for kinks, REPLACE EVERY INCH OF RUBBER HOSE FROM TANK TO EFI FUEL RAIL. They have been known to swell from the inside and restrict fuel flow. Obviously fuel filter is suspect and should be pulled and cut open to look for junk from the tank. Inside of tank could be full of RUST since it sat for so many years. I think you will find your problem following these suggestions. Finally, get a mechanic to set your ignition timing.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM

thanks ill let you know.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM

i was working on a truck and could not get it to run correctly and it came down to the new, actually rebuilt, injectors. Evidently the ball inside the injector can get stuck and cause a problem like you are having. To solve this a mechanic told me to take the injectors back out and to tap them against a piece of wood to free the ball inside. Just be careful not to tap too hard and brake the end off.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM

Howdy Ed. I had the similar problem with my 86 turbo toy, i had some new parts on it, including a famuos tps, well that was the problem. I had it wrong, the best/easy way to find out if that's the prob. just disconect the wires. hope this helps you.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM

/me pulls head out of rectal region...

It sat for seven years? PLEASE TELL US that you've drained the gasoline from the tank and are using fresh gas...?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 75k5toy
Howdy Ed. I had the similar problem with my 86 turbo toy, i had some new parts on it, including a famuos tps, well that was the problem. I had it wrong, the best/easy way to find out if that's the prob. just disconect the wires. hope this helps you.
I also have seen (not done myself) a mis-installed TPS. Apparently my buddy can rebuild his 22re from scratch, but he can't properly install a TPS I jumped right to the TPS, unplugged it, and it would rev! I pulled it off and re-seated it with everything aligned right inside, and the problem was no more it was a new TPS he installed incorrecetly by the way.

Quick Reply: 86 p/u 22r te won't rev over 2,000 rpm