86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'86 fender trimming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 fender trimming?

Hi guys! I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, so sorry in advance.
Anyway, so my dads 86 4runner has quite a bit of rust on the fenders... I've been contemplating on how to tackle it. Today I thought screw it, why not just trim the fenders. I have some 35'in tires sitting on an old lifted first gen that my dad rolled.
I have a few questions though as I'm only 17 so I don't have a lot of experience.

First of all, is it a good idea? This is going to be an everyday driver with a bit of fun on the side.

Is there anything important I could cut by mistake?

What kind of prep would I have to do (if any)

Have any of you guys ever done it before?

Any easy way to measure, so I get both looking roughly the same?

Thanks in advance. Hopping to do this within the next few days.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:50 AM

After some searching I found this pretty decent how-to which I think I'm just going to follow- http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot....t-welding.html
ill post some update pictures tomorrow
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Good job first by researching prior to just hacking it up and 2nd by finding the info u needed

but....

35s on the 86 4Runner is gonna be horrible without the proper gears (5.29s)

maybe consider using some rust inhibitor and some bondo to repair it then after getting gears to suit your tires and all cutting just what you need for clearance

I am in similar situation with my 86 4Runner and that is my best option atleast
Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuarrt
...I have a few questions though as I'm only 17 so I don't have a lot of experience...
Yes, awesome job researching and asking questions before you dive into a project.
Welcome to the club.
The first-gen is a great machine but it has some known problems that require simple solutions. We'll be glad to help you with them.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFreak12
Good job first by researching prior to just hacking it up and 2nd by finding the info u needed

but....

maybe consider using some rust inhibitor and some bondo to repair it then after getting gears to suit your tires and all cutting just what you need for clearance

What do you mean the proper gears? They were already on a lifted 4Runner, so I didn't see the issue.
And that's what I was planning on doing originally, but the rust just seemed so bad (specifically in one). Once I get the money I was just going to replace the panels anyway. Thought about just cutting it all out and getting some flares as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/69f9omvo8n...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l37yzxivk5...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
That's the worst fender. Others aren't so bad.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/scvoxos9jw...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bh0i4z7lab...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bh0i4z7lab...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
I haven't cut anything yet so don't worry. I've just been working on a contraption to measure out each fender evenly.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, awesome job researching and asking questions before you dive into a project.
Welcome to the club.
The first-gen is a great machine but it has some known problems that require simple solutions. We'll be glad to help you with them.
Thanks I've already posted a few questions. You guys have been very helpful. I had very little experience with mechanics (besides doing a few things on my dirtbike) before starting on this 4Runner, so it's nice to have some help besides just google
Old 08-19-2016, 10:13 PM

Read here bout gears and tire sizes

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...thread-169234/

Maybe the lifted Toyota has gears for the 35s or was primarily a toy hard to say

Bigger tires are heavier and a larger diameter so puts more stress on the drivetrain and the gears compensate for that also lower gears=more traction! So it's a win win especially if you wanna really get the most out of it both on and off road
Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Hi guys! I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, so sorry in advance.
I have some 35'in tires sitting on an old lifted first gen that my dad rolled.
So hopefully the differentials on that rolled runner are ofproper gear ratio, still good and could be transferred to the 4Runner O.P is currently working on?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:28 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
rubber floormats for fender wells? first time i've seen that approach.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM

but....

Slap the 35s on and don't even worry about it. Regear later. Been running 35s on my stock 89 22re auto for years. All stock aside from some Jeep coils stuffed under the back end (zuk mod) and some fender hacking. Works great off road and surprisingly driveable on road. Not gonna win races but not holding up traffic either.
I will be going to set of factory 4.88s soon, but only cause I have them to use.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM

Read here bout gears and tire sizes

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...thread-169234/

Maybe the lifted Toyota has gears for the 35s or was primarily a toy hard to say

Bigger tires are heavier and a larger diameter so puts more stress on the drivetrain and the gears compensate for that also lower gears=more traction! So it's a win win especially if you wanna really get the most out of it both on and off road
Ah, never would have thought of that.
Here's the vehicle info from the door jam. I can't seem to see where the gear ratio is though:
4Runner I'm working on right now- https://www.dropbox.com/s/knxfyz1jox...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
Parts 4Runner- https://www.dropbox.com/s/knxfyz1jox...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
Rolled lifted 4Runner- https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj4t0iow0o...%20AM.jpg?dl=0 (sorry for the blur)
Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
So hopefully the differentials on that rolled runner are ofproper gear ratio, still good and could be transferred to the 4Runner O.P is currently working on?
They should still be good. I've taken loads of parts off of it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vwvqcs1g0...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Old 08-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by toyscraps
Slap the 35s on and don't even worry about it. Regear later. Been running 35s on my stock 89 22re auto for years. All stock aside from some Jeep coils stuffed under the back end (zuk mod) and some fender hacking. Works great off road and surprisingly driveable on road. Not gonna win races but not holding up traffic either.
I will be going to set of factory 4.88s soon, but only cause I have them to use.
Good info. I live in the country, so I'm about a good 30-40 min from a "real" highway. Lots of dirt roads
Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by osv
rubber floormats for fender wells? first time i've seen that approach.
That's what my plan was even before finding that how-to People have said it's not a good idea, or "legal". Don't see why though.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:56 AM

That's what my plan was even before finding that how-to People have said it's not a good idea, or "legal". Don't see why though.
They say that cause you want it sealed off- sealed off from the elements and more importantly sealed off from exhaust fumes which can be extremely dangerous

look up axle code then cross reference online.

Some ppl will say just run em and you could but as the saying goes "Big lifts and tires look good at the mall but gears and lockers look good on the trail"

Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 AM
osv

some states in america have a vehicle inspection, that might flag rubber fender wells, but you probably don't have to worry about that in b.c.? the only safety issue i can see is if something somehow punched thru the rubber and hit someone in the back seat?? maybe a radial tire coming apart on the highway, that could be dangerous... seems like a long shot... you could rivet a piece of sheet metal across those bars, as a guard, plus it would give you something else to attach the rubber floormat to.

the most accurate way to figure out rear end gearing is to put a piece of tape on the driveshaft, and another on the wheel, and count revolutions against each other.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Door tag on lifted toy would be wrong if aftermarket lower gears where installed. Google or search here how to tell with them installed iirc you jack up rear, rotate driveline one rotation and count how many times the tire turns or vice versa you want roughly a 5:1 ratio but again search and see cause I am not for sure, a lot of great write ups from a lot of ppl more knowledgable then me

edit OSV beat me to it good idea too bout the sheet metal if you don't have rivet gun can use some self tapping sheet metal screws

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-20-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 AM
osv

They say that cause you want it sealed off- sealed off from the elements and more importantly sealed off from exhaust fumes which can be extremely dangerous
breathing car exhaust is serious business: "Air pollution from exhaust fumes kills more than twice as many people as road accidents in Britain, experts claim." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...dy-claims.html

people die by accident from exhaust fumes in cars on a regular basis, even with factory fender wells... usually it's an exhaust leak, along with a lack of common sense.

on our trucks, one of the prime offenders is the junk exhaust manifold gaskets, what finally fixed that for me was a remflex gasket; it's reusable, and it expands with the engine, as the engine heats up.

it should go without saying that anyone who lives in cold country especially should not skimp on exhaust stuff.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Well said OSV nice article too. Thanks for the heads up on that gasket reusable is always nice

Note that while you might not die the first time driving with an exhaust leak (or even the second) but longterm exposure that WILL have very negative effects on your health like the big C word bad plus you might die the 3rd time so seal it good! Seal seamer or similar is commonly used maybe even like undercoating spray (it's like a rubberized spray)

Other then that get er done! And post pics.... Or it didn't happen!! Lol

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-20-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: No reason provided at this time
Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by toyscraps
What gears does it have now tho? Tow package? Maybe it's stock gears are just low enough that it's manageable for you. Sure it's driveable but the right way to do it is with lower gears which he may have in the lifted one so might as well check.

Really just wanted to make sure he knows there's more to it than having the clearance to fit the tires. It will effect drive ability whether decent enough for u to get by for awhile is a personal opinion and decision for each individual to make but ultimately your gonna want lower gears whether now or eventually so better to be aware of it now so u can anticipate and plan for it.

lower gears=greater torque multiplication=greater traction for off-roading you need 2 things Traction and clearance (don't forget safety and recovery those are kinda common sense tho)

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-20-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: '86 fender trimming?