Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4runner, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
For rear window problems check out this site. Also check out his list of cheap tricks. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

I have the opposite problem. My window goes up and down only with the key. Previous owner replaced the window motor. I purchased a new inside switch but haven't hooked it up yet.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, ive been searching the forums for a solution and either people have your problem or its totally the wrong gen... it sucks because being able to use the tailgate to roll it down and up would be awesome.

Also I just order the springs for the ZUK mod, which way is better? the cut or no cut?

1stGenyoda
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure which is better. Cut would require changing the 4Runner permanently and more expensive springs. I liked the no cut because it is reversible and the Jeep Wrangler TJ front springs were cheap. They fit over the parts everyone else is cutting off. You should read and weigh other people's opinions and make your own decision.

I searched "Jeep Wrangler front springs" " used" and there are lots of choices. Some are only 19.95. They are 16" and have to be cut to 12" or 13". Easy enough with a cut off wheel on a grinder. Autozone will lend the spring compressors free for a deposit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_It...&_skc=50&rt=nc
Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM

That would have been a better option lol, I bought the black magic springs, am going to get them friday

13" ones with the 125 stiffness

For a total of 96 bucks, but they are new
Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered the same springs, should arrive my Thursday! Pretty stoked. Will post pics before and after.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Ya I plan too, depends when they get here. I leave for a wedding thursday night so I might not be able to get them done till next week or later
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM

So its saying I exceeded my attachment by so many kb.

What needs to be done to expand it? I should have enough post to be more then just a beginning member
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Ok I figured it out, you can disregard that last message.

ANYWAYS I just got off the phone with the Toyota Dealership here and the removable top weather seal is only going to be 25.99 to replace... also if i wanted to replace that, plus the stripping to the two sliding windows, the other two windows ( ones in the back ) and the tail gate window it would cost 522.00 BUCKS, ARE THEY SERIOUS, THATS RIDICULOUS!!!

Haha, well its safe to say im just going to replace the seal between my truck and the removable top.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM

That's not bad. Is that for the pieces that run along the sides of the truck that separate the truck and shell? My Toyota dealership didnt know that the hell I was talking about, he said it would be $55 per side..

Mine isn't leaking currently but it has never been removed so i'm assuming once I do it will tear it.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Ya the 26 bucks is for the "U" shaped weatherstripping that is between the truck and the fiberglass top, the 500 bucks was to replace the stripping on all the windows

So im going to paint my top here something when I get a place to do it and have the time, and when I take off the top I can see if I would need to replace it or not, because currently it isnt leaking.

Then my next dilemma is tire and wheels, I was originally set on a set of BFG A/T KO's, then les schawb does Toyo Open Country A/T2, also they have the Federal MT's that look nice and are cheap, but I also read that the side walls out out and crack after 20,000 miles or so.

I think if I can get the BFG A/T KO's for cheap then ill stick when them because they can last up to 80,000 miles!! or should I go with a little more aggressive AT's, like Wrangler Duratracks? because I do live in Oregon and it rains alot!

I should have her Zuked next week too! no more saggy booty for me!

Im probably going to start a "This is what is truck is going through" lol because it going to be way to slow to be a build thread
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM

I had the BFG A/T KO's on my '99 4Runner and they were awesome! They were good for rain, snow, and 4wheeling. You can find them for a decent price if you shop around, i'll most likely get them when my current tires wear out.

I'm hoping to install the rear springs on Friday or Saturday, I did the same on my 99 and it was kinda tricky since I didn't have a spring compressor.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Ya I got a set of BFG trail rated tires (on the newer side), and was thinking about selling those and getting my 31''!

thinking about upgrading my rims to steelys and getting the 31x10.5x15, only problem is that the current tires I have, the side wall of the rear drivers has a big ol cut in it, like some crazy ex girlfriend tried slashing it but gave up lol.

really its all about the money too, gotta make sure I have the funds before I start spending all my money on upgrades, but then again living in my runner isnt a bad idea... haha

Edit: I live like a rock throw away from an autozone, so I can rent one and get it done no problem with my brother (hopefully, never done any modding lol)

Last edited by 1stGenYoda; 08-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM

If your dealer does get you the canopy weather strip can you PLEASE post some pictures of the part to show the shape and width and length of the weather strip. I have looked and looked and no one seems to have done this. I had thought the part was discontinued. At first I thought PO had crammed old windshield wiper blades between the body and canopy but I realized my weather strip is rotten. I was going to try and source a reasonable replacement from a generic weather strip supplier.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Ya I can do that, my dealership knew what I was talking about and no problems.

But ehen this will happen? Most likely next month but ill let you know definitely
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Did the ZUK mod, it made a huge difference! Also cleaned and repainted the frame black. It's coming together quite nicely. It'll be interesting to hear how yours went.
Attached Thumbnails 86 4runner, what do you guys think?-img_20130902_120552_092.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

I'll probably get mine together this weekend, haven't had the time or place to get it done.

But I did get my side panels in the bed ripped out, and found out that the back speakers were totally got it out. Then went to a guy at autozone, and he said that the system the people before me we're running for pushing three to five thousand watts a power, most likily a 4 amp system, its all wired funky, I gotta rip out the house wire he put in and rewire some rear speakers lol
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM

ok so I FINALLY got my ZUK mod done! I am currently at work so ill post a picture of the finished product when I get home

I didnt take any pictures during the installation, because it was getting late and needed to hurry.

I can totally tell a difference! even though my shocks are shot, they are rusted out and just flat haha, but the ride is already smoother with the springs in!!

I used the Black Magic Springs 13" 125 test
Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimmT88
Thats what I thought. The only thing is it has 292k on it and it never had the timing chain replaced. But there is no indication that it is about to go out.
you need to pull the valve cover and shine a flashlight down at the timing chain area, to see if the plastic guides are broken... most likely they are, 292k is waaay over the service level for a timing chain.

if by some miracle it's still intact, you can use this opportunity to adjust the valves.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
For rear window problems check out this site. Also check out his list of cheap tricks. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

I have the opposite problem. My window goes up and down only with the key. Previous owner replaced the window motor. I purchased a new inside switch but haven't hooked it up yet.
hopefully it's simple switch issue.

mine turned out to be bad relay(s) in the power window/wiper relay box listed in the 4crawler link... there is a really cheap standard replacement relay that you can buy from mouser or whatever, but in order to get my truck down the road, i removed two of the four relays(?), and I wired a manual dpdt switch into the relay circuit board... I can reach behind the drivers seat to roll the rear window up/down, but of course it doesn't work from the back door key area.

I could have directly wired in the console switch, instead of buying a dpdt switch, but it would have involved modifications to the wiring and/or the circuit board... if I had a backup relay board, I would have tried it... but there still wouldn't have been any rear door window control.

these relays that go bad are the old skool magnetic throw/points type, they are not solid state relays... same thing that cars from the '60's used in their voltage regulators, it's eventually going to pit and burn in the contact area, just like the old points ignition in the distributors.

Last edited by osv; 09-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by osv

hopefully it's simple switch issue.

mine turned out to be bad relay(s) in the power window/wiper relay box listed in the 4crawler link... there is a really cheap standard replacement relay that you can buy from mouser or whatever, but in order to get my truck down the road, i removed two of the four relays(?), and I wired a manual dpdt switch into the relay circuit board... I can reach behind the drivers seat to roll the rear window up/down, but of course it doesn't work from the back door key area.

I could have directly wired in the console switch, instead of buying a dpdt switch, but it would have involved modifications to the wiring and/or the circuit board... if I had a backup relay board, I would have tried it... but there still wouldn't have been any rear door window control.

these relays that go bad are the old skool magnetic throw/points type, they are not solid state relays... same thing that cars from the '60's used in their voltage regulators, it's eventually going to pit and burn in the contact area, just like the old points ignition in the distributors.
Do you know if the relays would possibly fix my problem? the back window works with the middle consol, but not with the key I the tailgate, the rear wiper works and as for the fluid I dont know because there in none in the bag.

Quick Reply: 86 4runner, what do you guys think?