Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4Runner rear window key/license plate light switch location?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Runner rear window key/license plate light switch location?

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have been trying to find where the best location is for the rear window key/license plate light switch is inside the tailgate. Bought a replacement piece that works but the glass catches the switch and drags it down till it separates because it is hanging loose inside the tailgate. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 86 4Runner rear window key/license plate light switch location?-4runner-1.jpg   86 4Runner rear window key/license plate light switch location?-4runner-2.jpg   86 4Runner rear window key/license plate light switch location?-4runner-3.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess someone needs to pull off the cover and look.

Can`t you get it up out of the way.

Where was the old one?/

Is this the correct switch since all you show is pictures off the plug??

Last edited by wyoming9; 11-29-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 AM

Unfortunately I don't know where the old switch was located - the key switch never worked until I replaced it recently. When I opened it up it was duct taped to the tailgate, I was just trying to come up with the proper solution. I apologize for the pics - my phone isn't the best and it was hard seeing the switch from pics taken further away. The pics are supposed to show the tested and failed locations along with the glass dragging down the switch.

The glass is closer to the outer skin of the tailgate and it does not clear the switch near the license plate light outside the glass location. I think it should be located on the lower passenger side of the tailgate outside of the glass track. However there is no indication by a bracket or anything to affirm this. I am thinking about duct taping it out of the way and not worrying about it till that fails but I would rather figure out where it should be located.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 AM

Red face

The switch goes in the plastic trim piece on the right side.

The trim says Toyota ! Was this hit or broke??

The license plate lights are in there and in the rust belt rot away

I can pull the cover off and look if you can`t figure it out.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM

So I finally got some free time to check out your recommendation. I think we are talking about different areas of the key/license plate light electrical wiring. I found that the license plate light switch is definitely inside the plastic Toyota piece on the exterior of the tailgate. However there is another electrical connection after the key switch inside the tailgate that connects power to the license plate lights and key switch. This is the one that is giving me some guff.

I would hate to ask you to tear apart your tailgate for my ignorance. So if you are ever in there anytime soon for something else definitely let me know where the little blue bracket that this electrical connection snaps into is located. It will be much appreciated as I am lost on it's correct location inside the tailgate and I really want the best of both worlds - to be able to have my license plate lights work and roll down my back window too. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM

And to answer your question the key switch for the rear window never worked since I bought it and I had bigger things to worry about until now. I finally found the trim piece, had a key made for it as the new piece needed a different key, went to install it, connected everything together and it worked. Then I tried to show off my accomplishment to my brother in the driveway by turning the key switch to roll down the window and that's when it caught the switch separating it killing the power to the tail lights and key switch. Haven't rolled down the back window since except for testing for a clear location.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Red face

If my easily distracted brain remembers I will look if I don`t remember shoot me a PM to remind me.

It has to be you just don`t have the plug in the correct location.

I had the whole window and regulator out as well as replacing the trim with no problems. several times!!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 AM

I had a similar issue with mine and was able to zip tie it all out of the way on the outside of the glass track like you said, but not before it left a nasty scratch in the glass. That plug dragged on the glass for years, my fault.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Red face

Long 12 hour day as I sit down for the first time and read this thread oops

I try and look in the morning!!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 AM

Red face

looking at mine it goes straight down from the switch .

The plug connection is held in place by the clip being in a hole in the tailgate

The wires then bend off towards the left side where the main harness exits the hatch back

I will check back later if you might need a picture.

Toyota might have upgraded things
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 AM

straight down on the outside of the glass from the wiring from the key switch? I will have to check it out today.The clip is busted I will have to try it with some zip ties. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Update: I went to the dealership with the blue clip that the connector fits into and they do not have a clue - I mean they do not have a diagram, part, or anything helpful what-so-ever.

I have to use the rear window tonite to load up my bass amp so I just duct taped it straight down below where the wiring from the key switch enters the tailgate. It clears the glass but please let me know if someone has found a more permanent solution. I don't want to roll the dice too long with the duct tape.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:43 PM

Red face

I am sure if you look around you can find a clip some place on the 4Runner you can steal that should push into the hole and hold it in place .

Gorilla tape works wonders !!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
that plug/blue clip goes to the outer wall of the tailgate, behind the glass, as does the wiring. it won't work the way you have it connected to the window crank assembly - the glass will continue to drag it down/disconnect it.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Red face

Sad fact most of the clips and things only come with the wiring harness.

Found that out trying to get those metal clips that hold the injector plugs on the 22REc engines.

With me it is always things like that that break or go flying through the air.

Then the older plastic gets brittle.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM

yeah, it is kinda funny I can buy brand new control arm assemblies (going to replace the front suspension this spring) from O'reilly's but I cannot buy a small plastic clip for my tailgate. I guess it's the little things that are overlooked.