86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4Runner clutch noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Runner clutch noise?

Hello, I'm new on this site. =) 1986 4Runner that I just bought. The truck is making a noise and I think it's in the throw-out bearing in the clutch mechanism. Can someone elaborate on what the symptoms of that are? Someone just fixed the clutch for me and it works, and this isn't a grinding sound when putting into gear. It's more of a "loose/squealing" sound when trying to put it in first gear from neutral, sorry for lack of being able to describe it better. Also it doesn't do it every time. Help? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From what you describe it does sound like the throw out bearing. On my 89 I had an odd noise at a stop when going into first, also once in a while when I'd pull it out of gear to coast to a stop. I dropped the tranny and the TO bearing was indeed worn out.

Just in case it is not the TO you might want to check the fluid level in the tranny and t-case just to make sure they are full. A low fluid level will make some noise and it's an easy check/fix.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Throwout Bearing...

Thanks for the reply. My wife posted the first post, but I'd like to be a bit more specific. When I pressed down on the clutch, it made a grinding (similar to a starter grinding) noise. When I let back off the clutch, it stopped. It spells throwout bearing to me, but this is why I am still scratching my head: I just had the clutch done a few weeks ago; second, today was the second time this happened since we got the new clutch. The first time it did this, I went back to the mechanic. We couldn't reproduce the sound. Everything seemed fine until again today, about 3 weeks later. However, all I did over the past 3 weeks was start it about 3-4 times per week and drive it literally around the block only (we just got tags on it today), so it really hasn't seen too much driving lately.

My point is that if it were the throw out bearing, wouldn't it make the noise every time? Is there something else I'm not thinking of? like a bent fork? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pilot bearing replaced too? might want to look at the adjustment that it is letting the throwout bearing off too.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM

If it only makes the noise going into a single gear, im considering a sync. TO bearing should make noise every time the clutch is pressed, regardless of what gear he is going in.

Does the noise go away as the tranny warms up?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM

I didn't finish my post---two more things: I would start the motor and let it run until it was warm, but I never drove it farther than literally around the block (no tags till now), so I can't say the transmission was ever warm. Next, what is a "sync"? You're talking to a mechanically inclined, relatively mechanically handy, but a transmission world amateur. I certainly understand concepts of how things work, but I have no idea what the shop talk means. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Actually, it never posted my previos post part A for some reason. shoot, i'll try this again....Ok, first, thank you both justin and phil...

Pilot bearing..I'm not quite sure what that is. I will guess its the bearing sort of like the throw out except on the other side of the fly wheel; I imagine it also spins freely when the clutch is pressed in. Regardless, I will find out what was and was not changed. If indeed it is one of these parts, I assume that should be covered by the clutch warranty. What is exactly covered by a clutch replacement warranty? What exactly does that entail? I can't say I feel like paying to drop the bell housing again. Also, it may be hard to get anywhere with the mechanic who did the clutch because I can't reproduce the sound.

I've done plenty of semi advanced motor work, but never replaced a clutch. I have no idea about what adjustments to make and how to properly make them. Any general rules of thumb?

Next, I never did get as far to try to shift into gear after hearing the noise. The noises were heard (in both instances) when the clutch was just pressed in the during initial startup of the truck. The truck was in neutral both times. The noise continued every time I would press down the clutch. I didn't have the nerve to try to engage gears. When I shut off the truck and turned it back on, it's as if it never happened. Back to normal....dunno.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Well my suggestion, get some tags and put a few miles on it before you write it off as broke.