86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner 2 week turn around pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner 2 week turn around pics

Sorry for the lack of pictures or a regular build thread but here it goes.....
86 4runner DLX- auto no ac, no sunroof.
bad- head gasket blew last year and kid put the blue liquid gasket fixer crap in it. That didnt work for him so he put it on craigslist were I found it.
-tires worn to nothing actually passed nothing, the front passenger side was the spare size of a 265 rest were 31's. they are also steelies
-passenger side seat was broke, broke.
-all the electrical switches were gummed together. non worked properly.
-few other things, cant think of.

I bought it on friday, had it towed to my house on sunday evening about 4pm. Picked up a head on saturday with 80k miles on it. I suspected the head of being cracked.
Got the head off by 6pm. enough time to still grab some hot dinner.
Took the head on monday to have checked, milled, and cleaned. dropped off during lunch, picked it up after work around 3pm.
the head gasket when I took it off I never though to see a gasket like it. the blue crap worked very well, so well actually the head gasket was flaking apart! Also died the top of the block blue.
Measured all the head bolts, and inspected them under magnifine glass. found 3 with corrosion. all were at 6.417 measurment. Picked some up and had the head on thursday night.
My boy and I worked on it friday night after yanking an engine out a 69 mustang of mine.
The exhaust gaskets i got the same day as my head bolts was the wrong type. didnt have the middle bolt hole. So I picked another one up.
Started on the interior saturday. pulled the body panels out, repainted the interior black from the brown you always see.
painted the spare jack green to match the valve cover, heat shield, timing cover and alternator. I also didnt like the blah black grille, picked up instant chrome paint and sprayed the grille.
I had some problems with the brakes locking up last weekend, as some have seen on a thread I started. Changed the brake pads, rebuild the calipers, replaced the vaccum booster- then re-replaced it with the original one.
I noticed when I started the truck up it wasnt skipping beat and running really rough at any rpm, So I yanked the af gage out my 87 and installed it.
Had a massive lean mixture, tuned the af meter, and the idle fuel knob, along with the adjustment screw on the throttle body. Not sure what that screw does, but it helped out.
I poured some seafoam in the take and fuel tank to clean the injectors since I figured the lean mixture and skipping was coming from a stuck injector.
Took it for a spin with my wife yesterday, she loves it, wants it a manual so a w56 swap is going to be the next part being tackled after the turbo runner gets back on its feet.
On with the pictures- I know they are limited but I think you may get the point till I find the camera's charger.

Last edited by screech; 07-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM

once again, sorry if this maybe posted in the "improper" section, and for this to be a somewhat weak build thread. had to post it somewhere, haha.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When i got my 86 4Runner the switches were also stuck together because someone had spilled a soda all over them, so i pulled them out and washed all of then in hot water and let them dry for a few days, and now they work like new.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM

yeah I had taken them fully apart each switch in the console, had some electical contact cleaner from an alternator fix going to cali a few months ago. Anything that is a dry solvent would work, if you dont have contact cleaner you can clean a circuit card or switches with rubbing alchol.