86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 2wd overheated on the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 2wd overheated on the hwy

I probably made a big mistake by adding 400 pounds of weights in addition to everything else I was moving. I went up a hill to get on a hwy and out in abou 90 degrees weather, I think this did me in. My brake and battery charge lights went on and refused to turn off. I dont know for sure but I think the last guy who had my truck removed the t-stat as it ALWAYS runs cold. Even when hot outside. I had this truck for about 10 months and NEVER had an issue with it. I tried to bleed the air out by removing the radiator cap but as soon as it went past the half mark, I shut it off. I never let it get too hot anyway. In fact, the half mark to me would be considered hot as it always ran cold. My question is, what exactly happened to cause this to overheat? Just too much weight in the bed? Its a 4 cyl 4 speed 22r (carb) 86 with only 154k miles and it has been very solid to me. Finally, what exactly can I do it mitigate this? Since it keeps overheating, what happened inside, did air get in? is it trapped inside? How come I couldnt bleed it out without it overheating again? Ive had a bmw before that kept overheating, i changed everything on it, and still came back so this haunts me.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM

49 views and not an answer on overheating?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet no ones responded because your original post is confusing. You never actually say you over heated except in your title. And then you fail to tell us us how you know its over heated. The temp gauge just above half doesn't sound like over heating to me. Just sounds like a truck thats working a bit harder from the extra weight you put in the back on a hot day.

Why not find out for sure if the thermo is actually removed. No sense wondering about any of this stuff. If it is removed, put one back in. You'll get more complete combustion and cleaner burning with your coolant temp around 200 degrees f.

How do you know there was air in it?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 PM

p.s. there are LOTS of threads on overheating already. one of them is bound to have a similar story.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM

it isnt confusing. it did in fact overheat. the truck was very hot and the temp kept rising til i pulled over. the truck NEVER runs hot and ALWAYS runs cold, it barely goes above C. if i kept driving even on normal speeds, it would have went to red and burst. should i have let it overheat that far? would that have been the right solution? i dont want to risk anything. back home, i decided to see if what you say is actually true. that it was just running hotter. well after just idling it, the gauge began going up. as soon as it went past half, i shut it off. then i removed the radiator cap and tried to bleed it and it STILL overheated. thats even worse than a car i had before. at least i could bleed it. what is making it overheat? thats what i want to know. why is it still overheating if i took everything off the bed and has no reason to work harder? what changed? i dont have much money to fix this so its stressing me out right now.

Last edited by yeahhhbuddy; 09-16-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 PM

ok update. after many hours i started it back up. it always starts off lean and after a couple minutes and lightly revving the gas every now and then, the lean noise stops and i hear a nice quiet hum. well this time it never quieted down. the lean noise just kept getting worse and the gauge just kept going up. i let it go past half just to see and it definitely was overheating. was at the 3/4 mark and i just shut it off. so what is likely to be the culprit here?

Last edited by yeahhhbuddy; 09-16-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The brake and alt light generally means your alternator is done for. Unless you are sure it is actually overheating, I have had a gauge to do the same thing just because the temp sensor needed cleaning. Your radiator probably could use a good flushing and how is the fan, is it working properly?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM

my fan seems to work properly. whats strange is just when my truck is taking a beating with all the weight in the bed and the heat outside, my charge and brake light go on and stay on, slightly fading at times, even though the brake is disengaged. so if my alt was done for, why at the same time it is overheating? im positive it is overheating. my motor would "quiet" down after starting up since it usually runs a bit lean. but now it never goes down and just gets worse until it overheats.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM

i called my mechanic. he said check the alternator belt because if the charge light came on, then it started overheating, thats what it is. i looked for it. GONE. that was the problem. going to get that replaced now.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM

belt was added and problem solved. 33 bucks was all.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So, not having an alt belt was leading to the rising temperature?

Is that the same belt as the water pump (I forget)?

Amazing your battery was able to run the engine that long without draining, if the alt was not turning.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM

yes same belt for the alt and wp. the belt came off during the drive up the hill before i got on the hwy. the truck was working extra hard with the weight, heat and the hill. the belt was already on its way out. this is why i first noticed the charge light come on and the brake light concurrently. when this happened, the alt and wp stopped working, hence the charge light and the rising temp. i didnt drive the car that long after i saw the lights go on. when the temp rose ever so slightly, i pulled off the hwy and shut the truck off. everything works great now. lights went off. i literally had no belt and didnt even realize it when i looked under the hood.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Glad you got it figure out! Now thers still the issue of why it runs so cold. You will get better fuel mileage and a smoother running engine if you get it up to normal operating temp.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM

well unfortunately im almost positive it has no t-stat in there. from what everyone else says and my mechanic, it is usually removed when there is a problem with the head or radiator and used as a last ditch effort to avoid replacing expensive parts. i dont really care. ive had this truck since november. it does take forever to warm up in the winter but i will sit there for at least 5 minutes warming it up because i like to take care of my things. in the summer, i can wait less as its already pretty warm out. but even in the summer, the temp only goes about a quarter inch above C. in the winter, usually just at or a hair above C and i like it like that. ive had it for 10 months, and i drove from 300 miles to and from a destination with no issues in february of this year without an issue. the only issue i have with the truck is it doesnt have overdrive. just 4 gears. and the bench seat sucks. i'd like to replace the bench seat with 2 captain power seats but havent come across a good deal or what exactly will fit. everything on it is original and in very good condition, including the paint. this truck has served me well and i'd like to keep it for that reason.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM

I'd put a t-stat in it, if it didn't need one Toyota would have never designed one to go in it Not a big loss, 10 bucks, to keep it from overheating while allowing it to properly heat up... Why not I ask?

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 09-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where is the pictures of the truck??