Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 22RE stumbles, lopes, hesitates when revved

Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22RE stumbles, lopes, hesitates when revved

Alright guys. I've got an issue I've been chasing for some time here and I'm at my wits end.

I put a new 22re in my 86 4x4 and hooked everything up. Got it to start and it idles fine but when you give it gas it hesitates, stumbles, and occasionally pops. Overall it just runs like dog ˟˟˟˟ unless its idling. It can't be driven.

I've tested:
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, swapped in a new distributor. Checked for vacuum leaks and intake leaks, timing is set dead on, went through and checked/cleaned all the grounds i could find in the engine bay, checked the fuel regulator it works, all injectors are ticking.

It has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, new Toyota factory TPS, new ignition coil, injectors were cleaned by witch hunter a few years back.

I pretty much pulled out the haynes manual and the FSM and went through all the checks in the troubeshooting section and am still having the problem.

I did notice one thing thats interesting, it runs worse when I switch the headlights on.

I'm led to believe it's something electrical. I've spent the last three days messing with it and have to have it on the road to get home Friday. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You say Electrical break out the Meter !!!

Voltage at the battery ?? Interesting the Multimeter is the first thing I reach for.

You do have a Meter ??

The Charge light is not on or the Check engine light ??

How could you not have one if you did all the trouble shooting of the sensors

The ground for the ECU is very critical A poor connection there can cause your issue.

If the system voltage is to low it causes the ECU to do all kinds of crazy interesting things.

Voltage to low it could cause the coil in the Circuit opening relay to drop out and pull in causing the fuel pump to start and stop .

When you say new engine your talking fresh out of the box so to speak??

Even a fresh rebuild can have issues Compression check ??