Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

850 mile trip in the runner, some issues came up

Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
850 mile trip in the runner, some issues came up

Made a run back to Texas this weekend and encountered two odd things on the way back.

22re/5 speed/89 4runner

1) I pulled into a service station to get fuel and the power steering stopped working when I put the rig in nuetral. Checked the fluid, it was fine, and started the truck back up and the steering was working. Only happened that once.

2) As I drove I noticed the oil pressure would slowly drop the longer I drove it. After the first 400 miles down there it was sitting between the quarter mark and the bottom mark. On the trip back it kept creeping lower and lower. It did leak a little but nothing serious. Could this be an indication of an oil pump going out?

Oh and I must admit that running down I-10 and the I-25 turning 4000rpm and about 90mph is a blast with the little 22re. That LCE header really roars at higher rpm.

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-22-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
hmmmm, oil pump maybe, but ever thought about running a thicker oil? what are you running now? how did the engine temps look?

that power steering issue is strange though maybe that pump's going out too
Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4 speed?!?!?!?!......as in L43...well that right there is the problem...throw that dude out the frickin window..lmao...im hoping you meant 5spd

idk about the number 1...but the number 2 i think you're right..it's fairly simple to change..but do some investigating first..make sure it's not your sending unit leaking or something?????

i sure do wish my '86 would cruise at 90mph..lmao
Old 11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
as your oil heats up it thins out. Thats why the longer you drive the lower the pressure will go. Make sure your cooling system is working well. If you keep your rpm under 3 grand i'm sure oil pressure will stay higher up.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM

that could be true..but i've drove my truck at about 3500rpms for a while..(bout..maybe 100miles)..with some downshifting to around 4200 rpms..screamin up some big hills lol..and my pressure on my mechanical gauge was still reading about 50-60psi

im just runnin 10w30..but i usually run some 20w50.. it cuts down on leaks..runs higher pressure..and should help with bearings...of course i could help bearings even more by throwin some synthetic Royal purple in it......

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 11-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Ooops! Yeah it's a 5 speed, edited to reflect the change.

I'm running 20 w50 Royal Purple synthetic and the engine temps never moved above half way (where it always sits once it's warm).

vital22re- If I keep my rpm under 3000 I'll never get anywhere. I shift at 32-3600 and like to keep it about there for hill climbs and passing. Good advice though, thank you.

I'll do some looking about the PS pump and the oil pump, both are easy to change but Id rather save the money for something more fun.

Thanks all.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a leak from the oil pump crank seal a while back, when i pulled the oil pump to replace the seal the inside of the oil pump was wasted, the gears were chewed up and the drive gear on the crank shaft that drives the oil pump was stripped, so check this out as soon as you can so it doesn`t turn into something more serious.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your idiot light did not turn on its most likely the sending unit, as for the power steering, what do you mean it didn't work. like it was hard to turn as thought it was off or it was squealing?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
I had a leak from the oil pump crank seal a while back, when i pulled the oil pump to replace the seal the inside of the oil pump was wasted, the gears were chewed up and the drive gear on the crank shaft that drives the oil pump was stripped, so check this out as soon as you can so it doesn`t turn into something more serious.
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking is happening. 225,000 on the engine it might be time for a new pump. At the very least I can pull it and check it against factory specs.

Originally Posted by Built2Grind
if your idiot light did not turn on its most likely the sending unit, as for the power steering, what do you mean it didn't work. like it was hard to turn as thought it was off or it was squealing?
I don't have an idiot light, the gauge I was watching showed that the oil pressure was dropping. (SR5 cluster)

The PS just got hard to turn, like manual steering. No squealing, belt is tight, etc.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like a good time!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm, power steering thing, did your truck idle up when you went to turn(since you were in neutral, idling right?) the steering wheel?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 PM

my sending unit went out at 150,000 miles(sr5), so its worth checking i would think, i cant think of anything that would make your steering do that besides a dead pump.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Hmmmm, power steering thing, did your truck idle up when you went to turn(since you were in neutral, idling right?) the steering wheel?
You know it did idle up a bit, went to a little over 1000rpm... does that mean something?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 AM

Ok I'm pulling the sending unit this week even though it does't have more than about 20,000 miles on it since I did the conversion. I do however remember smacking it with a hammer handle on accident while beating on the starter. I think that's about the time the gauge started reading low.

This morning on cold start up the oil pressure level was low and it stayed there the entire morning while driving. So it's either the sender or the pump. Lets pray for the sender since it's cheap and easy to swap.

Thanks again folks!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
You know it did idle up a bit, went to a little over 1000rpm... does that mean something?
Well, that's good it should. Theres one of those idle valves(IACV...) that kicks up rpm while at idle to assist the power steering pump. My thought was if it wasn't doing that then that would be why you got that feeling of nonpowered steering 'cause the pump wasn't spooled up enough to provided adequte flow.

Oh and don't forget about the two different sending units(not that I need to tell you that...)!!!!

Other than that, I have no idea...lol

Last edited by BigBluePile; 11-23-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Does it have an OEM sender on it? You need to get one if not.... or you can go aftermarket whatever your choice........ Do you notice you engine noisey at lower oil pressure? Are you running dextron auto tans fluid in your power steering? Low idle? Leaking? Do you have your engine oil full?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Oh snap!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM

22r's natually run good at high rpms but its not recommended + if you werer going 90.... you were speeding and speeding is a no no.... and where you doin 90... you should stop that.... some people just don't understand about cars.... if you want to race your truck then rebuild the motor and put performance in it.... that truck you got there is not meant for speed its meant for towing, hauling, 4wheeling..... a 22r was originally a tractor engine back when toyota made the First "R" engine and since then its been in trucks... tractors had not hp and no speed but they could pull a hose off its foundation.... thats what the 22r is for.... tourqe.... the hp is only there for pavment driving... and some speed. and stuff like that... sure it will get you where ever you need to go.... but theres nowhere you need to be so fast that you need to good 90....
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Lot to answer here.

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Does it have an OEM sender on it? You need to get one if not.... or you can go aftermarket whatever your choice........ Do you notice you engine noisey at lower oil pressure? Are you running dextron auto tans fluid in your power steering? Low idle? Leaking? Do you have your engine oil full?
It's an OEM sender from napa, I bought it when I did the SR5 gauge swap. The engine is not noisey at all and I fiddled with the wire coming off the sender and the gauge reads higher. Might just be a damn loose connection. The oil level is always full, check it before every trip and every time I put fuel in it. The power steering fluid is questionable, I'll have to drain and refill with some new fluid, no leaks other than the rear main and no the engine doesn't idle low.

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Well, this engine isn't really designed for "turning 4,000 RPM and about 90mph"!!

How many miles do you have on this engine???????!! .
225,000 miles. I figured the red line is what 5600rpm.... couldn't see 4000 hurting it.

Aren't you expecting just a tad too much out of that little 116HP rated stock engine... with or without your LCE header!!!!!!!????

A real healthy fresh mechanically sound 22RE, you might run all day at 4 grand, but not an extended mileage engine. And, I would expect the crankcase oil will thin out at 90 miles per hour, depending on ambient air temp and other factors, dropping the oil pressure. .
It's got a little more than just a header and it's taken care of. I might be expecting too much out of it though. Hell it's done everything I've ever asked of it and never complained until now. It does make sense that the oil will thin out at higher rpm, didn't consider that.

If you want to run this engine at 90 miles per hour at 4,000 RPM all day, then you need to consider what it takes to make that engine be able to handle that load and heat.

When I read these type of posts, I want to go out in my garage and hug my little Toy truck and say "See, your Daddy really does love you!" "Aren't you glad Junkers88 is NOT your daddy??"

Then go find your skinny butt and jap-slap the crap out of you!!

gNARLS.
Yeah your truck should be happy I don't own her. She might get out of the garage and get dirty once in a while. *laugh* JK. Thanks for the advice even if it was well laced with salt. *grin*

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
22r's natually run good at high rpms but its not recommended + if you werer going 90.... you were speeding and speeding is a no no.... and where you doin 90... you should stop that.... some people just don't understand about cars.... if you want to race your truck then rebuild the motor and put performance in it.... that truck you got there is not meant for speed its meant for towing, hauling, 4wheeling..... a 22r was originally a tractor engine back when toyota made the First "R" engine and since then its been in trucks... tractors had not hp and no speed but they could pull a hose off its foundation.... thats what the 22r is for.... tourqe.... the hp is only there for pavment driving... and some speed. and stuff like that... sure it will get you where ever you need to go.... but theres nowhere you need to be so fast that you need to good 90....
Huh? Didn't know the 22r was a tractor engine to begin with. Makes sense when you think about it since that little 4 banger has got some grunt in 4 low and 1st gear even just off idle. Thanks for the information.

Oh and on another note I went to get the exhaust welded up today and noticed that the exhaust gasket on the little air tube thing was blown.... now I'll be replacing that as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

I used to have an 87 4Runner with over 200K miles and when I took it on cross country drives I noticed that the oil pressure dropped after a while. I ran Castrol GTX 20W50 in it and I never really noticed any decrease in performance with the slightly lower oil pressure.
You can drive your truck however you want obviously, but running it at 4K rpm's and 90 for a long period of time may be pushing it a little for a 20+ year old truck.

What's wrong with around 3K rpm at 70-75 mph?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 850 mile trip in the runner, some issues came up