Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

7mgte '94 4X4 pickup project suggestions

Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
7mgte '94 4X4 pickup project suggestions

ok, so i've been gathering parts to build a high compression 7mgte for my pickup. (i also own a supra, so i'm very familiar with the motor)-

i've got everything planned out except for the flywheel. i would like to hear what yotatech has to say about this:

the clutch/flywheel that will be going into my truck are the ones that are in my supra right now. it's a clutchmaster's stage 3 carbon/kevlar disc capable of holding 400+ft lbs tq, and is VERY, VERY street friendly. (you can barely tell it's an upgraded clutch)

it's currently mated to a fidanza lightweight (11lb) flywheel, which i absolutely love in the supra. it revs so quickly, exactly what i love in a street car with lots of hp/tq.

now a bit of background on the truck, and what it'll be used for- it's my daily driver pickup. everything is in excellent mechanical condition (i'm meticulous like that). i check every moving part once a month during daily driving, and ALWAYS after off-road travels. keep in mind this IS my daily driver, and used for weekend mudding, trailing, etc...

there are no rocks to crawl on around here, really, so i'm not so so concerned about that yet. [b]the first week in september, i'll be purchasing bfgoodrich 33x10.5's, 4.88's for the front diff, and retrofitting a 4.88 e-locker to the rear housing.

for my purposes, would it be a bad idea to use the fidanza lightweight flywheel? i read numerous posts about how the heavier stock flywheel would be better (but not in reference to a 7m which has lots of torque already- and this will be using N/A pistons for a higher static CR)

for example:
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Town driving and trail driving is where you appreciate the heavier flywheel the most.
so, yotatech, what are your thoughts for a daily driven, weekend trail/mud truck with a lightweight flywheel?

thanks!

-shaeff
Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use what you have , change it out later if you dont like it.

I have a 88 N/A supra and cant decide if I want to put it in my 92 extra cab 4X4 or if I should go with the 22RET. I have both. The supra has lots of low range torque and pulls hard up in the RPMS. I want something that rips it up on the street and cruises nice threw the trails. I do very little off road with this truck. I like to take it up to the mountains and cruise around the old logging trails. I use my old FJ 40 for the bush bashing.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
personally, i'd go with the 7m, but i'm biased, as i'm also a supra owner haha. considering i have a 22re in my truck right now, i really want some torque. i think i'll probably just go with the lw fw, seeing as nobody else has any suggestions. oh well. i suppose i'll post my results near summer's end, when this project is complete.

thanks for your input.

-shaeff