Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

5vze swap w/ 3.0 tranny slip?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5vze swap w/ 3.0 tranny slip?

Bought truck, guy said new clutch, went wheeling a few times, and the clutch was maladjusted and i ended up burnin it...twice. Now, when im driving, if I give the car any more than 1/3 gas pedal my engine revs up 1500 rpm from where it is w/ no power to the wheels, and then drops back down to where it was at and
the wheels seem to catch. Is this a slipping clutch?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the dust cover on the trans? If so pull the trans inspect the clutch, clean the disc if needed. Make sure the tolerances on the flywheel are right. New clutch doesn't always mean the person who put the clutch in resurfaced a flywheel in need.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lastname_firstname
Bought truck, guy said new clutch, went wheeling a few times, and the clutch was maladjusted and i ended up burnin it...twice.
And you've done what, besides adjusting the clutch pedal, since you "ended up burnin it...twice"? Just hope and pray that the clutch disc isn't ruined?

Just because the guy said it was new don't mean it is. Did he show you a receipt for it? Is it OEM(makes a BIG difference). Are you sure he didn't say "it needs a new clutch", not "it's got a new clutch"? And even if it is new, what makes you think you can "burn it...twice" without damaging something?

Inspection is DEFINITELY called for.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
And you've done what, besides adjusting the clutch pedal, since you "ended up burnin it...twice"? Just hope and pray that the clutch disc isn't ruined?

Just because the guy said it was new don't mean it is. Did he show you a receipt for it? Is it OEM(makes a BIG difference). Are you sure he didn't say "it needs a new clutch", not "it's got a new clutch"? And even if it is new, what makes you think you can "burn it...twice" without damaging something?

I was thinking the same thing but figured I'd try to help instead of gauging the conversation he had with the guy. Next time I see something like this I swear im going full tilt sarcastic =P

Last edited by Vudujoose; 05-18-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Yea thanks guys I know I'm burnin my ride by burnin my clutch. sticky situation and stock gears called for some unforseen clutch riding during the last trip out. I'm planning an inspection this weekend. Good news is it still drives
Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
is the engine covered with oil? A contaminated clutch surface can slip. Since it is a 5vz swap, I wonder what setup he's running. Is it all 5vz clutch flywheel with with 3.0 throw out? or did he maybe throw a 3.0 disk on a 3.4 flywheel/ pressure plate. What is the gear ratio in the diffs? 4.10's, 33's is about the max you would want to push with an "oem" clutch.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Yea I have 33s, from what I understand, everything in the truck is still stock except the engine.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Engines not covered with oil, doesn't leak doesn't burn, only downfall is an exhaust leak where he booger welded the downpipe to the ds manifold
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
is the engine covered with oil? A contaminated clutch surface can slip. Since it is a 5vz swap, I wonder what setup he's running. Is it all 5vz clutch flywheel with with 3.0 throw out? or did he maybe throw a 3.0 disk on a 3.4 flywheel/ pressure plate. What is the gear ratio in the diffs? 4.10's, 33's is about the max you would want to push with an "oem" clutch.

I thought the 3.4 swap could use either clutch setup (3.0 or 3.4).

I agree with Vital, didn't even occur to me to think that since it was a swap the flywheel could just be greased all to hell (normally this will make a foul smell you will notice though).

Either way, you need to inspect. There is no way for anyone to give you the right answer without more information.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Got it. Thanks guys
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Engines not covered with oil, doesn't leak doesn't burn, only downfall is an exhaust leak where he booger welded the downpipe to the ds manifold
where are you located?? Had a buddy at nix tell me a horror story of a 3.4 swaped truck that came in asking for a factory 3.4 crossover pipe as his "custom" pipe was welded to the driver side manifold.

And you can use either setup. However, the pressure plate fly wheel and clutch disk need to all match as in all 3.0 or all 3.4. and the starter needs to match the flywheel.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM

:sigh: yea, that was me. I went up there lookin to fix it before I knew you had to do all custom weldwork to make it fit. I'm takin some fab classes this summer up in everett so I can sas my truck and eventually fix the leak. I'm pretty new to yotas and wheelin so I'm just spendin a lot of time researchin...but I haven't found any threads with this problem on here so far.

After years of driving and repping vws and europeens, i can't remember why I ever thought those things were fun to drive ;-)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
totally a bro
Staff

:sigh: yea, that was me. I went up there lookin to fix it before I knew you had to do all custom weldwork to make it fit. I'm takin some fab classes this summer up in everett so I can sas my truck and eventually fix the leak. I'm pretty new to yotas and wheelin so I'm just spendin a lot of time researchin...but I haven't found any threads with this problem on here so far.

After years of driving and repping vws and europeens, i can't remember why I ever thought those things were fun to drive ;-)
They make loud noises so you think you're cool.

Grab a crossover and send it to toyonlyswaps. Its not too pricy and it will be right.