Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4runner will not start, fires then dies, HELP!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner will not start, fires then dies, HELP!

Hello to all, new here and i think some of you could help me out. heres my story.

Replaced the head gaskets on my '94 3.0 4runner. everything came apart and went back together just fine. now i am having a hard time getting it to start. so far i have replaced the cap and rotor, plugs and wires. i have confirmed timing on crank cams and rotor (not 180 out or anything like that). i have tested for spark, i have tested compression, all cylinders above 135 psi. so compression is not my problem and neither is spark.

with starting fluid it will fire right up and run for about 4 seconds then die (no more starting fluid) FUEL IS MY PROBLEM! i have been told to check the open circuit relays above the PCM, i replaced both, same problem. here's what it appears to be.

i hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the return line off the driver side fuel rail. when i turn the key on and the pump primes, the pressure builds straight to 70 psi the levels. then when i crank it to start, it starts for only a second then dies. but the fuel pressure jumped to about 90 psi. so this is telling me a few things. the pump is good, BOTH open circuit relays are good (primary for starting and secondary for running), the fuel rails are definitely getting fuel, but the injectors are not firing!! right?!

i also jumped the DLC to read any codes and came up with one. Trouble code 22: Open or Short circuit in engine coolant temperature sensor signal. On top of that, i can only get the pump to run now if i jump terminals on the DLC. pump does not prime with the key on and no jumper wire.

would this sensor have anything to do with a fail safe mode by shutting down injectors? because it doesn't see what the engine temp is so doesn't know how much fuel to deliver? or is this potentially and air flow meter problem? but i have no air flow meter codes, just that one code #22. im really just throwing anything out there at this point.

ANYTHING HELPS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Last edited by huntermac50; 02-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump! anyone?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the connector to the AFM connected? the one that's on top of the air cleaner box...