86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build

So, here I go guys, the 4runner tailgate build has begun. Some background info. My 89 4runner tailgate is currently operational, but, in desperate need of a replacement. It has a couple of big holes in the back and sides of it , not to mention the top near the window seal begin shot. I decided to pick up a tailgate from a local auto wrecker. Now, I paid a little more than I should have (given the sort of work that I have since discovered that it needs), but it resonably solid and gives me a good foundation to restore. I've started by removing the glass at motor. This was pretty easy though the motor took a little finagling to get out. The bad news is that the two "mini" tracks that are at the bottom of the window are in really rough shape. In fact, one completely fell off during the removal of the window. So, how I deal with that I don't know. My guess is that I might have to fab something. But, my thought was this. If someone smashed your 4runner rear window, would those mini tracks be included on the new window? I'll have to look into that. So, the plan is this. Book an appointment with Corey at Toyota fiberglass in Pentiction BC. Corey do you cash or credit ? Get the tailgate hatch. Before putting it on, take the back half of the gate to a sandblasting shop and get them to take care of the back half both inside and out. Primer. Then before the hatch skin goes on, replace the window and motor controls. Rear hatch and then paint. Now, I've really taken the attitude that I hope I can do this, but I'm not worried if I can't. I'm learning as I go and IF I screw up royally then I'll know better next time. The hardest part for me will be the installation of everything once the sandblasting is done. I planning on replacing every bolt and trying as best I can to clean up the rust mechanism parts (i.e., the inside latch parts). I've got lots of pics but I'm still figuring out how to post them in groups verses adding them indivudally as an attachment.

http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=001qkh.jpg

Well, this link will have to do for now. Anyway more to come and I really would appreciate good feedback from anyone who has done this rebuild or who has good info to offer.
Harold
Old 06-23-2009, 03:32 AM

So, the rear window is a interesting case. There is two tracts that are about 5 inches (oops, one is about 5 inches the other about 7) in on either side at the bottom of the glass. As I'm taking out the glass one side fell off due to the rust being so bad. Anyone have an idea about whether these tracts would be included on a newly order rear glass piece, or, is this something that will need to be fabricated? Really strange design.
Attached Thumbnails The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-027.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-028.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-029.jpg  

Last edited by Harold Of The Rocks; 06-23-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:44 AM

I do not believe they are included with a new window. I ordered replacement pieces from the dealership for almost $50.00. They are easy to install if you use a lot of dish soap!

Save the rubber pieces. If you buy new tracks the rubber seal is not included.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 AM

Frisbeedog, 50 bucks together or 50 bucks a piece? Follow up question, did you order anything else for what I'm assuming was a tailgate rebuild?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You can order those window tracks new from Toyota, i think they are around $30 each or something close to that. I would suggest getting new rubber pieces as well, as they are only $13 or so, and 20 years of use causes the rubber to expand and become brittle.

They do not come on the glass when you order a NEW glass from Toyota. If you find one used, they would come on that glass.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Thanks DC, informative as usual. I'll take your advice and order both the track and rubber. I'm to the point now where if the Toyota dealership sees me pull up in the old 4runner, they know they are going to make money that day.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 PM

*Right click to open the pic in a new screen w/ only the jpg code then* [img] blah-blah-blah (html jpg/whatev code) [/img] is your friend.

IE:

**Use that to clip in your pics w/ the post

Last edited by KelleyC; 06-23-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Got the window tracts ordered today, with new rubber. Nothing like dropping a 100 bucks on pieces that I hope will work when it's all put together. I'll update tomorrow if I get a chance to start cutting into the front tailgate panel. I love that "past the point of no return" feeling. Off to Presision 4x4 tomorrow to pick up a fiberglass tailgate panel. Then the real fun begins.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

So after visiting Presision 4x4 today I cut out the front tailgate panel. The job was reasonably easy and the pointers from the Toyota Fiberglass website were extremely accurate. The only troublesome part was at the top where the start of the tailgate weatherstripping starts. That took a bit of coaxing on my part, helped of course by an angry grinder. I set the fiberglass panel on top of the back tailgate and it is going to look sharp. Even without any sandblasting and obvious tweaking issues it is pretty clear that both are going to line up really well. One problem area that I didn't consider was the window side tracts. The took of both tracts is good however the bottom ones are in rough shape. I'm guessing that when they are sandblasted they'll likely just disintegrate and I'll probably have to make a new piece. After the sandblasting I'll take it to a paint shop to get epoxy coated. I'm guessing the sandblasting will run around 20 or 30 bucks but I don't have a clue what epoxy coating would run me. Any suggestions would be good so I can ballpark a few different places. More after the weekend.
Harold

edit I'm also still trying to figure out posting through url
Attached Thumbnails The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-010.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-006.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-009.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM

On a totally side note, I gotta ask, are you a bit of a Primus fan perhaps???
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM

Primus sucks
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Hell yeah, lol
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Corey does good work. I have his front fenders on my '91 and he takes pride in his stuff.

Good luck and keep up the posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Thanks Rob, I remember you saying that finding a good used tailgate with little to no rust would be harder than finding Jimmy Hoffa's body. You were right. So, I decided to create my own! Hopefully I'll get the back half to the sandblasting shop in the next few days. Then I'll clean it up, smooth out some of the rough spots, and then off to get expoy coated.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
looking good Mark .. let me know If I can help you with anything !
good talkin' to ya the other day .

I do think after ALL of the chatting we did , I neglected to mention ...
The hatch panels are trimmed LARGE .. lots of room to make your own gaps .. so be aware of that .

Last edited by slacker; 06-25-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold Of The Rocks
Thanks Rob, I remember you saying that finding a good used tailgate with little to no rust would be harder than finding Jimmy Hoffa's body. You were right. So, I decided to create my own! Hopefully I'll get the back half to the sandblasting shop in the next few days. Then I'll clean it up, smooth out some of the rough spots, and then off to get expoy coated.
Yeah, in this environment, they're a tough find. Good luck with it. I'm sure it will come out fine.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by slacker

I do think after ALL of the chatting we did , I neglected to mention ...
The hatch panels are trimmed LARGE .. lots of room to make your own gaps .. so be aware of that .

Thanks Corey, I'll keep that in mind. I'd rather have to much than not enough! Sandblasting is still the next step that I hope to get at sometime this week.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Ok guys, it is at the sandblasting shop and I'm at a confusing point. After I go to bare metal I've got a few questions. I've got to do some minor repair work to the window track frames. This will likely need a welder to tack a new piece to the bottom of the drivers and passengers side. So, when this is done, do I powder coat it, or, is there a paint based product that would be better for long term moisture resistance. My thought was still to put a little POR 15 in the lower quarter of the gate (obviously because it so much water run off) but would POR 15 bond well enough to metal that has been powder coated. I haven't done anything, just seeking some input.
Harold
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Well, here is the finished sandblasted product. The new to me gate. Before I send it in for powder coating I wanted to a bit of grinding to ensure the best possible fit for my fiberglass panel. It didn't need alot as the fit was good from the start. I also smoothed out the edges were the panel and the metal will come together so that I had the flatest possible surface. All in all, I'm getting really eager to start hooking stuff up. After the powder coating I'm planning on doing with the bottom 1/4 POR15 and smoothing out some of the "corrurgated" areas that were pitted due to rust with some bondo. While I wait to get it in the shop I've still got the window tracts to install and that is said to be a bit of a pain. we'll see
Attached Thumbnails The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-001.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-008.jpg   The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build-009.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by harold of the rocks
primus sucks
false

Quick Reply: The 4runner tailgate, tear down and build