86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner stalls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4runner stalls!

I have a 1990 4Runner 3.0 and every once in a while, while I'm driving it will feels like its going to stall and the dash lights will come on then go back off like if it stalled and died. I have done spark plugs and wires, Distributor cap and rotor, 02 Sensor, oil change, air filter, and TPS (throttle Position Sensor). I still have not been able to find the problem. Can someone please tell me some possibilities. It doesn't do this 'til I'm at speeds around 65 or 70. Oh, and it had a new timing belt put on at 130,000 and it only at about 170,000. But summer or 08 I had a new water pump put on so I'm not sure if they could have done something to the timing!

TIA
Julian

Last edited by alil2cul4u; 01-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM

Almost sounds like you're losing power to your computer momentarily. I'd check the connectors to the ECU. The ECU is to the right of where the passenger would rest their feet, behind a little kick panel. Also check the fuse connections on your fusebox. Check for corrosion and such
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM

well it was doing the same thing as as friends saturn and they had to change fuel pump so i did that now i have it back in place and now it wont even turn over....
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Isn't that great, you work on one problem only to cause another! When you say it won't even turn over do you mean that nothing happens when you engage the starter or it just won't fire up?

Make sure you check all your connections, battery (did you unhook it by chance?), fuel pump electrical connector . . .

Last edited by zach@sparkplugs.com; 01-22-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Well, I hooked all the electrical and the hoses that were on the fuel tank, I hooked up the battery. It will try to start but will not fire... Is it possible it is flooded? I can try to take a video with my camera of what happens when I turn the key... If that will help!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Sort of doubtful that it is flooded, since it's a fuel injected vehicle. You can try pulling a plug and see if it is wet if you suspect that to be the problem.

Do you have spark?

Now I'm not too familiar with the 3.0, maybe someone else can chime in here, but with the ignition in the on position but not running in a 22RE, if you push open the door of the AFE, you will hear the fuel pump come on. I'd try that on your motor
Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM

What is the AFE? I did end up pulling a plug and it is dry dry... I drained the hose going to the filter while changing the filter and tried to start it again and no gas came through... So I do not know nor do I understand what is going on!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm sorry meant to say MAF, gettin my acronyms mixed up. It's the mass air flow sensor, the big box at the beginning of your intake. Sounds like your fuel pump just isn't getting power. Try jumpering your fuel pump directly to power and then try starting it. Process of elimination here . . .
Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Hey, sorry it took so long but after much aggravation and anger I figured out that the fuel pump was getting power the problem was the rubber hose from the fuel line down to the take would kink as I put the tank it. but how do i check the MAF?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM

so its up and running
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM

Well it is but it still feels like it stalls and I get the dash lights for .5 seconds and when it happens my rpms drop to 0 but then the rpms will shoot right back up. And there is not a certain speed nor a certain rpm that it does it at. I cant seem to figure out what is going on! I have changed the 02 sensors, the cat was changed July of 2008, I did a tune up an oil change TPS sensor, and I think that it but Im not sure. When the 4runner gets back Im going to check the connector to the ECM to be sure that it is connected right. But Im stumped on what it could be...

Thanks,
Julian
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

I would say that your ECM is momentarily losing power for whatever reason. See if it's throwing any codes.

To check the AFM refer to a FSM or haynes manual, there's a procedure for testing the outputs with an ohm meter. Pretty simple.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Um, Okay why would it be losing power? I'm confused this is the only problem I have had with it. I also forgot to mention that I had my water pump done is Salt Lake when I lived there. and That is when it started. could it be a timing problem? It has gotten worse since I moved here to Denver and I'm not sure but I think I was told the timing would change moving here because of elevation?! Also is the AFM the same as the MAF? I do not have access to an ohm meter, how much would one run me?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:44 PM

Haha yes, meant to say MAF, I really just need to stay away from acronyms! An ohm meter will cost you like $5 at harbor freight, or at the most like $20 at autozone.

You could have a bad ground to your computer. Or it could be as simple as a bad connection to your coil/ignitor assembly. Your timing wouldn't cause your whole truck to randomly turn off. Intermittent problems like this are the worst to troubleshoot.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Ok, I found one at harbor freight for $8 so I think this week some time Ill go pick it up and then Ill need some help testing the MAF. If it doesn't read what it is supposed to what will i need to do?

thanks for your guys help
Julian
Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM

You'll have to get yourself a manual, it will have all the numbers and the procedure for testing your MAF, they have em at autozone. If you know anyone that could help you now would be a good time to call in a favor. If you've never used a multimeter it can be a bit tricky.

Make sure to check your ignition component connections as well (coil, wires, ignitor, etc), if I were a betting man I'd put money on ignition being your problem, but it doesn't hurt to check your MAF as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM

any progress?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Nope, havent found anything yet.. Checked all the grounds all tight as can be. didnt get a chance to check the ecu.... Dangit, I really just want it to run right! and still havent made it to Harbor Freight to buy that multimeter.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Checked fuel pressure? Does it bog at a specific RPM?

Possible vac leak?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 PM

It doesnt do it at a certain RPM, just does it randomly ... I dont know how to do fuel pressure (90% of the guys/girls on here could call me a noob) This is the first car I have done work on by myself (my grandpa and dad thought I was too young to do it on my own) lol! Im just getting frustrated with it, as it didnt do this until I had the water pump changed at a shop in SLC, UT! I think Im going to go check the ECU now. I believe I fixed my vac leaks, I did have some around 1.5 years ago, My dad told me to get a can of ether free starting fluid and spray it on vac lines and see if RPM's go higher and we changed a few lines I believe!

Quick Reply: 4runner stalls!