86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner keeps dying on me - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner keeps dying on me - help

Ok, ive had my 91 4runner V6 for about 6 months now, im not too familiar with toyotas but ive done a lot of work on hondas seein as i used to be in the honda game but felt the need to get myself back out in the woods again! I cant say that i have had any problems what so ever until just recently... let me give you the run through, i replaced the cap and rotor, and since i bought it the battery had no bracket holding it down so when i bought it there was a shirt on top of the battery im assuming to keep it from hitting the hood and blowing fuses, so i made a bracket to hold the battery in place and tossed the shirt. the next day while driving to work im taking off from a light and it just dies on me, no sputtering, just dies, pull off the road, try cranking it, just wont start... start fiddling under the hood for about 10 minutes, really did nothing seein as i was just confused.... get back in it, starts right up, runs for about 5 minutes at an idle and just dies again, i wasnt parked in a good spot so i wanted to move up the road a bit, waited about 15 minutes, wait for the light to turn green, fire it up attempt to drive through intersection, dies halfway through so i coast across and hop it up on the sidewalk, ended up getting it towed home, i was reading a code 12 and a code 21, i replaced my EFI relay and my my distributor coil and ignitor which got rid of code 12, then replaced my O2 sensor which got rid of code 21, since i bought it, its had a check engine light on and done fine, unfortunately i dont know which code it was. anyway so it ran great for 2 days, no problems what so ever, day 3 comes around, did fine in the morning... but on my lunch break it was a little hard to start... like it was flooded or something... but i got it after a few minutes, went to eat, leaving to go back it wouldnt start, again like it was flooded, took about 15 minutes to finally get it. then on my way home from work after about 10 minutes of driving it dies on me again, code 21.. my 02 sensor again??? have to leave it one the side of the road, my woman picks me up, we go to the bar, have some drinks, go home get my old O2 sensor go back up to where it was, i try to start it and nothing... so i put my old o2 sensor in and it starts right up, drive it home no problems, this morning go to start it and wont start... go run some errands in the honda, come back, hook my jumper cables up and give it another go, starts right up, let it run about 10 minutes, turn it off and try to fire it up, wont start..... thats where ive left it... ive searched a lot but only found a few things that sound like same problem im having.... if anyone can help me out that would be great... my girlfriend is gettin on my ass about selling it cause we could use the money for other things and i REALLY REALLY REALLY dont wanna get back into the honda game....
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM

so far my new parts are, fuel filter, cap and rotor, EFI relay, coil and ignitor and o2 sensor, well now my old one is back in, one thing that might be important, not sure, but while replacing the o2 sensor, i looks like someone jv welded all around the sensor bolts and possible used to make a gasket, i dont even know, but when i got the old one off i had to like take a screw driver and wire brush and hammer and scrub off the mounting surface to try and get it as smooth as possible... also i am not running a cat
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Front and back o2 sensors are differnt I believe but I could be wrong sense i do 22re not v6... But Also Check to see if your Fuel pump is getting power and such...